What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Just arrived the French and Partisans countersets by Broken Ground Designs

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A number of scenario packs - I might have missed some:

• Europack II (The Battle of the Bulge), CH
  • Elite Canadians II (Manitoba at War), Lone Canuck
  • GD Pack #2 (GD9-16), Lone Canuck
  • Leibstandarte Pack 3 – (LSSAH 17-24), Lone Canuck
  • Prinz Eugen (PE 1-9), Lone Canuck
  • Purple Heart Draw, Lone Canuck
  • The Canadians in Italy (The Spaghetti League), Lone Canuck
  • The Canadians in Italy (D-Day Dodgers), Lone Canuck
  • The Canadians in Italy (D-Day Dodgers), Lone Canuck
  • To Battle By Air (tbba 1-6), Lone Canuck
  • To Battle By Air (tbba 7-12), Lone Canuck
  • Melee Pack 2. SoCal ASL Club
  • ASL New #1 Scenario Pack
And in transit:
  • Hatten in Flames
I believe with these, the number of scenarios I actually own in original print has risen beyond 3000. I have not cared to count copies and electronic stuff. In any case it is more than what makes sense.

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Know what you mean I lost count of what I have years ago ......

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...actually own in original print has risen beyond 3000. I have not cared to count copies and electronic stuff....

von Marwitz
Wait, what?!
This from the man who clips his counters, with proper tool, stores them in neatly labeled Racco (I bet your dice are accounted for too), but you are telling me you just have no exact* knowledge of how many scenarios you have? Shocking....and disappointing. But as I suspected perfection has limits and remains a myth. <phew>

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Wait, what?!
This from the man who clips his counters, with proper tool, stores them in neatly labeled Racco (I bet your dice are accounted for too), but you are telling me you just have no exact* knowledge of how many scenarios you have? Shocking....and disappointing. But as I suspected perfection has limits and remains a myth. <phew>
My dice are the of the proper set included in BV1, as 'precision'-dice have been purged as mere superstition with regard to the outcome of games. I actually have one, but never use it as it is too large for my taste.

As for the scenarios. Indeed, it sounds illogical not knowing how many scenarios I own. But of course, as you may have guessed, it is more complicated than this: First, I would have to establish a doctrine to define what is a 'scenario I own'.

Does it mean to

own the original paper print?
to count also a paper copy of a scenario handed out during tournaments?
to include electronic files of scenarios that I don't own in original paper print?
to count double reissued scenarios that have a different scenario number?

These are really questions to bother ordinance with rather to occupy Oberst von Marwitz's brilliant mind...
I could probably give you the exact number and type of champagne bottles that I acquired on duty in Biarritz, though. ;)

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know how many scenario I own either, but well we just all expect better of the Oberst. He should be the mark we strive to. Now, we just find he is ordinary, even, shame, disorderly. His boots look shiny on his counter, his medal ribbon pristine, but we find what...scuffed boots and tattered ribbon.

The answers to your questions are:
yes,
yes, if it not one you had.
yes,
[Edit: no, if the card is the same, yes if revised OB, VC etc.]

Have one of your many supernumeraries get on to this right away.

You could have your champagne collection seized for lack of attention to detail regarding the complete panoply of your ASL collection and the knowledge of its total state. I am not sure of the form in German, but I am sure there is one, when you signed up to play this game, there was a place were you initialed that you would at all times know now many scenarios are in your inventory.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Mein Herr,

your tone is quite temerarious. If it weren't for the rarity of Tungsten steel, now might have been the time that I would have shot a pair of Tungsten dice at you to wreck your dice tower! [No kidding here, at the games fair in Essen, I saw some dice made of Tungsten steel. To be had for the bargain price of merely USD 500.00. You don't want precision dice, you want dice to get you through!]

To your benefit, I will assume that you may not oversee the bigger picture: It is not that important how many scenarios the Oberst owns. It is important that he wins the war.

I have to concede, though, that I would be better set to this ultimate aim, if it weren't for all my supernumeraries being drained faster to some godforsaken places in Russia than I can drain my casks of champagne. Who said that war would be just...

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was not being reckless, rather just disappointed in the ranking officer.
Alas your tungsten dice would have missed my dice tower...I don't have one...I use a glass, with my initials on it, a hand me down from my grandmother who had the same initials. However, had they struck that I am sure they would have done d20 damage.
The Oberst has no chance to to win the war now...he does not know where he is in the forest of scenarios...
Casks of champagne now!?...why just two posts? ago it was just bottles...now its casks. Hmm, Herr Oberst lives better by the moment, seems you have a 'just' war after all.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pre-ordered FKaC. I hadn't planned on it, necessarily, but found that the starter set of WoA given to me by a kind person here was missing several of the Sherman III. I guess that'll free up the WoA counters to pass along to another novice the next time that the Brits are out of print.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Pre-ordered FKaC. I hadn't planned on it, necessarily, but found that the starter set of WoA given to me by a kind person here was missing several of the Sherman III. I guess that'll free up the WoA counters to pass along to another novice the next time that the Brits are out of print.
Nice thought!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just ordered Armies of Oblivion and board 67.

Planning to buy FKaC and BV early 2019, so I can start my Kit Upgrade & Replacement project next summer. I am worried it might take another five years to complete but with Germans, Russians, Axis Minors, Finns, Americans, Koreans and Finns I should be able to start playing over 60% of all scenarios.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just ordered Armies of Oblivion and board 67.

Planning to buy FKaC and BV early 2019, so I can start my Kit Upgrade & Replacement project next summer. I am worried it might take another five years to complete but with Germans, Russians, Axis Minors, Finns, Americans, Koreans and Finns I should be able to start playing over 60% of all scenarios.
It should not take that long. Coming up with my storage system, figuring out the hardware I need to buy, printing the labels and - the much more tedious part - to stick them precisely into the inserts cost me only about 3 months. This is inclusive of updating my counters, which meant punching BV3, Yanks2, Rising Sun, Hakkaa Päälle and retiring some of the old counters.

In case you happen to have (roughly) the same preferences for your storage solution as I, then you can save probably two or three weeks, as you don't need to figure out what to store where exactly nor to do the labels from scrap (which actually you won't need to do anyway, as you could use an existing editable Excel-file available for download at the 'Texas ASL Club' website.

If you want to do things 'right', then - of course - you would clip your counters handsomely. For a kit with (mostly) double OoBs I reckon this would require another 3 to 4 months.

So you should be done in time for next ASLOK even with some time to spare.

von Marwitz

Postscript
As an afterthought, it just struck me what we crazies around here hardly notice any more. I just explained as the most normal thing in the world that just sorting and preparing counters to play a friggin' game can be 'easily' coped with in 'merely' half a year's time...
We must do our utmost to prevent this information from leaking out to those strange people that don't play wargames. They might have us collected, strapped in straitjackets, and confined. This would inevitably delay the time of getting the job done and make estimates for the time required to do so much more difficult.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It should not take that long. Coming up with my storage system, figuring out the hardware I need to buy, printing the labels and - the much more tedious part - to stick them precisely into the inserts cost me only about 3 months. This is inclusive of updating my counters, which meant punching BV3, Yanks2, Rising Sun, Hakkaa Päälle and retiring some of the old counters.

In case you happen to have (roughly) the same preferences for your storage solution as I, then you can save probably two or three weeks, as you don't need to figure out what to store where exactly nor to do the labels from scrap (which actually you won't need to do anyway, as you could use an existing editable Excel-file available for download at the 'Texas ASL Club' website.

If you want to do things 'right', then - of course - you would clip your counters handsomely. For a kit with (mostly) double OoBs I reckon this would require another 3 to 4 months.

So you should be done in time for next ASLOK even with some time to spare.

von Marwitz

Postscript
As an afterthought, it just struck me what we crazies around here hardly notice any more. I just explained as the most normal thing in the world that just sorting and preparing counters to play a friggin' game can be 'easily' coped with in 'merely' half a year's time...
We must do our utmost to prevent this information from leaking out to those strange people that don't play wargames. They might have us collected, strapped in straitjackets, and confined. This would inevitably delay the time of getting the job done and make estimates for the time required to do so much more difficult.
I am committed to a complete new set, perfectly preserved clipped to perfection and stored optimally. I intend to be cremated alongside this set.

So I need to purchase all core modules again.

Bill, Sean and Doug drove me to this extreme.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Received Battleschools Elite Canadian pack today, all four scenarios look like they are fun to play, best of all, these scenario cards are high quality cardstock, not the flimsy crap from other publishers. So today, I plan to play "You Say Potato, I say Puto en Bessin". VASL is a nice tool because I made the terrain changes for the maps and printed them out. Makes life a bit easier that is for sure.

Scottcds 001.JPGcds 002.JPG

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Received Battleschools Elite Canadian pack today, all four scenarios look like they are fun to play, best of all, these scenario cards are high quality cardstock, not the flimsy crap from other publishers. So today, I plan to play "You Say Potato, I say Puto en Bessin". VASL is a nice tool because I made the terrain changes for the maps and printed them out. Makes life a bit easier that is for sure.

ScottView attachment 6204View attachment 6205
looking forward to AAR'S on this... The Canadian theme sounds interesting.