What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yanks 2nd ed. arrived yesterday, when I was about to pick up one at the greatest games fair of Europe (or even beyond that) the same day: "Spiel" in Essen. Luckily, my retailer of choice was on site to inform me I'd not need to bother carrying it as it should have arrived in the mail the same day. When I returned home in the evening, I saw that it did indeed.

Also picked up a Pocket ASLRB for 32 € (or was it 36 € ?). Anyway, a good deal for Europe without fear of additional customs duties or freak postage rates based on MMP's $40. I also saw it at another booth (of a notoriously expensive reseller) for more than 70 €...

von Marwitz

PaKfront

Ansel Petersen 5/8/1914-5/8/ 2002 308 CEB, 83 ID
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Genesis II
Shout for the Piats
HOB Firefights #1
Road to Bataan
Scrougin' Retro Edition
Omaha West
WO Bonus Pack #7
Journal 11
Yanks 2nd Edition
ASL Rule Book Pocket Edition
Poland In Flames

Pre-orders
Forgotten War
Red Factories
Red October

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I'd like to see some Marine division dice by battleschool......all the divisions from the war. Was it six?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Great going mate, especially in a year like this!!

This was actually a while ago, but I forgot to mention it: I snapped and bought a complete set of nationality dice from BattleSchool. Utterly inessential, I know, but my budget situation changed dramatically recently and I had been lusting after them for years.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The only thing I have picked up this year ASL wise is another triple set of full German and Russian OB's( that's 8 German and 10 Russian OB's complete now!) that I snaffled and KGP I&II from a car boot sale for £20 both, and a complete ABtF Black SS OB and HoB Black SS OB from Neil down in Oz, I think that is all.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My amber precision dice arrived. The owner of the store remembered me from 2008 when I last made an order with him and included a green pair of precision dice as a free gift - for being a great customer! Thanks to Mel at GammonVillage. I highly recommend them for their superb backgammon dice and excellent customer service. th1024_ACF6DAC.jpg

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Received in the mail today CH Psel Monster II map pack. It all looks pretty nice and for 49 bucks it was not a terrible deal. maybe give North of Hill 226.6 a try this weekend. Surprisingly this package did not come with Knifing the Body Guard which was another scenario for the K2 map. Still all in all, not a bad deal and do look forward to giving these a go.
ch stuff 005.jpg ch stuff 007.jpg ch stuff 008.jpg ch stuff 006.jpg

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice looking maps there Scott. One HECK of a lot better than that atrocious looking Ponyri map they put out. Hope the scenarios are better too.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just ordered
  • 12.5mm dice: british, american, australian, german, russian
  • The Brats : 12.5mm: black ROF, sniper dice.
Together with my PTO dice, I now have the necessary dice for most of my scenario situations. (I already have Canadian, Gurkhas, GMT, Red China, Japan ..etc)

Dust Devils are coming in from another order if in case I start going DTO.
2 more color dice are coming if in case I wanna play throwing 4 dice Aussie style.

:)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Quite basically, my latest purchases are the Map Bundle (well, it's technically a not-so-recent purchase that took a long time arriving), and the whole series of Friendly Fire scenario packs. Now I'll be looking for some large binders to organize my latest purchases :)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Now I'll be looking for some large binders to organize my latest purchases :)
Better to buy a nice scanner and some space in the cloud. Once scanned, you can store them in their original pack in a magazine holder. Then, if you are on a trip or happen to catch up with a fellow ASL player, all of it is available to you without lugging around those binders. -- jim

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
First, I'm not using the binders only for scenarios - I'm storing the maps in binders as well, and they're taking up quite a bit of volume :)

But for scenarios, while scanning is certainly a good safety measure, I like to be able to look through them, and for this, paper is my only real option - at least until I get a good, large size, e-ink PDF reader. Then I'll spend some weeks scanning the whole thing and trying to organize it electronically.

Also, for storing purposes, I only have access to A4 plastic document holders, which means all MMP pages (either scenario cards or rules pages) are just a little bit too wide for them - I either need to trim a few millimeters from them (which I did for the whole Chapter H binder), or store them some other way. Just for this reason, I'm extremely happy with the third party editors from this side of the pond...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Philippe, I started a bit late in the scenario scanning game. I scan mine at 600 dpi as it takes about the same time as a lower resolution, only occupying more disk space which is dirt cheap these days. Keeping at high resolution saves my aged eyes.

I save my scenarios as low compression .JPGs rather than PDFs. As my laptop is using Windows Vista this offers a number of advantages. I start by putting the files in nested sub directories like "Pictures\My ASL\Scenarios\Multi Man Publishing\Magazines\MMP Journals" with names like "MMP J 160.jpg". Then I use the Windows Explorer Preview function to add the scenario name to Title and use the Date Taken for the scenario date, then on to the next scenario. You could add Tags with information like nationalities.

Though I have not OCRed my .JPGs to PDFs, thus cannot search by text, I can still search by source (sub-directory), number/code (file name), scenario title and/or scenario date. Before I scanned, my scenarios were in either in their original magazines or gathered together in a small number of ASL boxes. The task of searching for vaguely remembered scenarios was quite a pain, with the risk of triggering an ASL avalanche. Now it's a fairly hassle free, 2-5 seconds to type in a date and/or partial title and wait for the search to finish and 5-10 seconds to decide which of the matches is the one I want and to display and read. I don't even have to remember who published it!

Though it was quite a bit of work and I have about 300 still to do with 2000+ done, I found it well worth the effort and once scanned the original goes into a box, never to be handled or damaged again. Though my laptop is moderately heavy, it's still lighter than the scenario cards. Of course if you bring your laptop to a game you have ALL your scenarios to hand.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
First, I'm not using the binders only for scenarios - I'm storing the maps in binders as well, and they're taking up quite a bit of volume :)

But for scenarios, while scanning is certainly a good safety measure, I like to be able to look through them, and for this, paper is my only real option - at least until I get a good, large size, e-ink PDF reader. Then I'll spend some weeks scanning the whole thing and trying to organize it electronically.

Also, for storing purposes, I only have access to A4 plastic document holders, which means all MMP pages (either scenario cards or rules pages) are just a little bit too wide for them - I either need to trim a few millimeters from them (which I did for the whole Chapter H binder), or store them some other way. Just for this reason, I'm extremely happy with the third party editors from this side of the pond...
Phillipe, a lot of European players , myself included arranged with some American players to gave the American A4 page protectors sent over and in return in my case sent European ones to them for to keep the LFT and FrF cards in .

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Phillipe, a lot of European players , myself included arranged with some American players to gave the American A4 page protectors sent over and in return in my case sent European ones to them for to keep the LFT and FrF cards in .
You sure copying the scenario with reduction onto the local-sized paper wouldn't be simpler? I think it's 92% for A4 onto letter-sized.

JR