What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ECZ Tournament Director's Pack from Advancing Fire has a lot of interesting scenarios, clearly a labor of love, carefully designed. Seems a good buy for any players of average experience and above. All scenarios have a bidding range and as suggested players can start right away by bidding the middle of the road. But I think it'll be fun to study the scenario a bit and try to figure out how you'd want to bid it.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
That sounds perfect actually. What has it got that is more than a standard DYO?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That sounds perfect actually. What has it got that is more than a standard DYO?
It is NOT DYO. These have at least some historical base. Instead of regular "side A needs to do X" VC, the VC assign points to objectives for one side and instruct players to make a bid of how many points they think are possible, usually within a specified minimum and maximum.

I suppose another way to do it is to agree on a number of points and then dice for sides.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
It is NOT DYO. These have at least some historical base. Instead of regular "side A needs to do X" VC, the VC assign points to objectives for one side and instruct players to make a bid of how many points they think are possible, usually within a specified minimum and maximum.
(...)
Yes Michael. It's the right way to see these scenarios. Nothing to do with DYO. These are ordinary scenarios with a solid and historical base (thanks to Seba and his team of Advancing Fire). They differs form the others because the VCs are the fruit of an interation between players via bid.

There are several side effects of this innovative system. All positive I believe.

First of all the perfect balance is found/decided by the players and it is not imposed by the Designer of by a group of playtesters. It hides somewhere in the fork provided in SSR2, that is the key SSR in all scenarios because sets the terms of the bid. The bid mechanism allows the players to play the tipology of game they prefer. In fact the same scenario develops in very different ways when you changes slightly the VCs. Also tactis changes.

Second, as balance is highly subjective, why to risk to ruin a fun and historically accurate scenario with a complex interaction between the OBs just because the number or EVP or buildings to control is too high or too low by one?
Instead, using the bid, players can set the level of difficulty of the mission till they are confortable with. No matter if you win or lose the pre game- bid you will invariably play the scenario you expects. And if you overstimate or understimate a side, well this means you learnt the hard way that a more accurate bid was possible... Good to know for the next time you play that scenario...

Last but not least the "lamentation phase" post -game has gone forever! If the scenario looks unbalanced and you lose you can only blame yourself for a wrong bid and never the Designer or - even worst - the Tournament Director that added it to the list!
Hence for players of all levels a preliminary 10-minutes study of the situation is a good idea, or at least - when short of time - a bid around the midde of the range allowed is usually a safe choice. In case of competitive play is strongly recommended to play once or twice the scenario in preparation of the event.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I look for DYO or some sort of purchasing system because I just don’t like victory conditions half the time. For tournament purposes, sure I’ll play the pre-made scenarios. Against a foe I regularly battle, I would much prefer a campaign.

Reactions: ecz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I look for DYO or some sort of purchasing system because I just don’t like victory conditions half the time. For tournament purposes, sure I’ll play the pre-made scenarios. Against a foe I regularly battle, I would much prefer a campaign.
DYO scenarios are another kind of fun. I remember back in the days of the old Squad Leader...

no, here you have 16 ordinary scenarios where players decide how easy or difficult are the VCs beetwen a given range via a secret pre-game bid.
who dares more gets the attacker side. But if he dares too much he probably gets the side, but won't be able to reach the objective. If instead he's too cautious, the opponent could grab the attacking side getting super-easy VCs.
It's all around a subtle balance

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ASLSK#4....Because I have the former three and I wanted the boards...and it was cheap.
Never actually played a SK scenario.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Those scenarios are very good. The only time I ever had a good time playing as Italians was with a SK#2 scenario.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLSK#4....Because I have the former three and I wanted the boards...and it was cheap.
Never actually played a SK scenario.
I am getting back into the game using the SKs. I enjoy the streamlined rules, but then I run across something that wasn't included and I'm like ... time to jump back in with both feet!

I am going to snag the SKs products I need, and I am going to get Journal 13. DZ:SME is on preorder.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am getting back into the game using the SKs. I enjoy the streamlined rules, but then I run across something that wasn't included and I'm like ... time to jump back in with both feet!
Once you know full ASL joy, always a full ASL player?

I tried but never enjoyed SK itself. Shrug. It’s okay but not for me.

I buy SKs only for the boards and parts which may have full ASL applicability. Most of the gear never sees daylight.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Once you know full ASL joy, always a full ASL player?

I tried but never enjoyed SK itself. Shrug. It’s okay but not for me.

I buy SKs only for the boards and parts which may have full ASL applicability. Most of the gear never sees daylight.
I am using the ASL SK to teach my adult son. He is a second lieutenant in the WV National Guard, and he thought it was cool to play a scenario with the 9-1 Lt. Dalton counter. He took pics of it and sent it to his ROTC buddies. It's a good primer for me as well.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Just ordered a couple copies of Journal 13 from MMP. Only found out here on Gamesquad about it now being available. Thanks a bunch Klas!
Peter has now posted it on the CSW MMP and ASL Pages...

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Journal 13 ordered.

Re: SK v. ASL: I think SK is an excellent stand-alone system that probably has greater appeal to a new player with no ASL experience. "Stepping down" from ASL to play SK, one cannot help but notice all the missing pieces. A situation that does not present itself to the player who never heard of gun duels or fire lanes, etc., etc.

But YMMV.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Russian Rarities I through 4. All in the Russian Brown colors.

Also, a whole lot of French beaches (Sword Beach, Gold Beach & Omaha West)

As well as King Sector Green & Red.

A whole lot of British OD counters and Greman Feldgrau....

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
How are you doing Keith? I have often wondered what happened to you.