What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Moderation is the key. I tend to clip one sheet at a time, no more than three a day.
This mirrors my experience with regard to the amount of counters per day.

Also important in my experience is the way you hold your hand: The wrist should not be angled but straight, just as if you laid your lower arm naturally on a table.

von Marwitz

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This has been a valid argument.

Today, it does only apply in part - but could still have 'disasterous' results.

Back then, you could not know, how many more core modules would be released - or how many decades it would take for that matter. This made it impossible to come up with the 'perfect storage' up front.

Today, though, WW2 is (almost) entirely covered in terms of ASL counters (by MMP). So, if you start building your storage system today, you can use an existing plan that addresses (almost) everything - even if some of the core modules are currently out of print. In other words, you can do things 'right' from the start, since there won't be (almost) no new counters for 1939-1945, making the situation stable and plannable.

The (inevitable) EXCs are minor additions such as the Eritreans and Ethiopians now added in the most current version of 'Hollow Legions' that were not part of the previous version of the core module. If you don't have any 'spare room' in your existing storage system, this can really screw things up.

That said, things like the Korean War or the (upcoming) Spanish War core modules serve less of a problem - at least from my perspective. As they are not part of WW2, I keep them entirely separate from the other counters and thus they do not pose a 'grave danger' to my existing storage system.

Personally, I try to avoid using TPP counters if at all possible - no matter how well made or colorful they might be, I find extra counters not covered by MMP or alternate counters to those of MMP more a burden than a boon. This is also due to my preference of the 'classic' black/[nationality color] combination over any multicolored variants. If you take TPP counters into the equation, then any 'perfect storage' is not going to last, as there are too many of them, too many new ones, or too specific (like unit specific counters). Of course, each to his own - its a matter of taste, I acknowledge that.

von Marwitz
TPP quality varies from what I would describe as untested, overpriced junk to some really attractive historical options to the core modules, where the production value and playtesting is evident and exemplary . But, as you say, part of that experience involves accepting non standard values on counters. I'm happy to run with that, plus some games do actually require more counters of a specific weapon or squad type than appears in the core game. I used to mix 'em all together but am now beginning to reverse that integration, to a degree.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
This mirrors my experience with regard to the amount of counters per day.

von Marwitz
I've found I can manage up to 3 sheets per day at most,, then my fingers get sore.
(using the C4 clipper - usually while listening to Critical Role or Two Half squads episodes)

FKaC is actually relatively recently reprinted, so I probably could have waited on that one. .....​

Anyway, I have demonstrated the "when in stock, buy it" ASL mantra slightly to the extreme...
Ehh, 'could have waited' ... I have said just those words back in the 1990s and missed out only to eventually pay stupid ebay prices after years of waiting for a slightly more reasonable price (A Bridge Too Far - paid around $250 - ouch). 😖
Buying when it's readily available is a very wise strategy.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The latest version of Dien Bien Phu. I wanted the ASL Comp counters that came with this. I already have earlier versions of this module but they had the old style CH counters (the Variant counters) which are no where near as nice as their latest ones.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Today, a package with the following arrived:

1. WO Bonus Pack #13
I didn't even realize that this one had deluxe size boards inside. The Japanese scenarios appear tempting.

2. ASL Pocket Rulebook 2nd edition
Great stuff. I was astonished how many more pages it now has compared to the 1st edition. Considering that many errata are incorporated as well, this is really a must-buy and good bang for the buck.

3. ASL Pocket Chapter H
I just love it! Great addition to my kit and to the available line of ASL products as a whole. Everything in one piece which is nice to handle in size. Absolute must-buy for everyone who does not own all the modules, throughout which the Chapter H information is otherwise spread about and very handy for anyone having previously used the traditional Chapter H.

4. ASL Pocket Charts
Mostly, I am sticking with good ol' Ole Boe's glorious one-page (front & back) IIFT(M)QRCC v3.6, but once again, having the rest of the charts at hand in a handy size is nice. Hard to say yet, if LFT Rat Pocket Charts or this one will have my preference.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bought a brand new CdG on ebay yesterday, looking forward to its arrival !

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sword+Fire-Manila
FTC 12
CH Red Ice

Misc.ASL parts from Fine Games Retirement Sale--for $12 got the following:
-HoB erratta page for Berlin and Hill 112 modules
-RbF #4 captured Russian AFV counter sheet (correctly printed)
  • hedge overlay sheet from J4
  • 2 sets of CH SMC small counter sheets
-CH Pelelieu mod , minus the map (8 counter sheets and module rules.)

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have pre-ordered the ASL Overlay pack from Second Chance Games. It will be heading over to Olli Gray for cutting out sometime