What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I do hope I can accomplish such an endeavor, I am not as proliferate as some designers just because I do not want to make generic boring actions. The battle for Podgornoye is pretty kool with both side attacking and counter attacking along with the Russians having lend lease armor in the battle. Lots of great stuff indeed.

I look forward to your next scenario out of Panzer Krieg with those book marks!

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP's Objective: Schmidt and LC's Anzio - 1944 just arrived from Derek Ritter today. Beyond that KWASL has advanced to "Packing."

When it rains, it pours.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Just arrived 15 minutes ago.

MMP
Forgotten War
WO9/2018

BFP
Objective: Schmidt

LCP
Wacht am Rhein v2, volume 1

Friendly Fire 11

Tactical Playing Cards

and a GMT, non-ASL item
Battles of the Warrior Queen

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
15 minutes? No detailed review? :(
I've only opened FW so far. I've spent the last 2 hours just reading FW's Chapter H, not even finished those. Now that may seem slow and it is, but due to my advanced age and even slightly skimming, that's my best. That is just the first pass, to get a good overview. The nitty-gritty will be done in smaller shifts over the next couple of weeks.

Impressions of FW so far? If I had any doubts about FW, which I didn't, even my shallow study so far would have eradicated those. In terms of "stuff" it is most impressive. The last big box MMP item for me was RS, but that was a tiny bit dampened by already having CoB and GH, so I harken back to FB as a comparison, my initial impression is that good.

OK here's the situation: no queries, no "Da Paul Challenge", no nothing, I will be like a cat rolling in a kilo of catnip over this weekend (don't worry, the cats will get fed, as usual just before I feed myself). So mark me "Engaged".

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I was more thinking of some types of toilet cubicle door locks that when the bolt is shut the outside part of the lock shows "Engaged".

I have had to take a break as all the reading is starting to give me a headache from eye strain. I suffer from optically triggered migraines (eg going from very bright surroundings to dark or visa versa) occasionally, so want to avoid that.

After absorbing as much FW as I could handle, I had a quick shuffle through the Tactical Playing Cards. When they were proposed I was fairly sceptical, especially for a solo player, as I didn't want ASL to end up like a CDG or Magic The Gathering. However after looking at a fair few of the cards, I have revised my opinion. Though the accompanying sheet gives instructions for two players and any "poker play" would require two players, I can see a use in solo play.

Something on the lines of draw one card at random at the start of a player's turn and use (and immediately discard when used) or not as that player sees fit and discard regardless at the beginning of that player's next turn. Maybe two for really big scenarios. While not really counteracting a solo players omniscience their use would add some quirkiness or unique flavour. Whether I will use them much, I don't know but my view is now fairly positive.

Oh, I almost forgot, I think their physical quality is very good.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Hehe. That joke didn't make it across the pond. Here it would say "Occupied." :D
Sorry about that. Some variants this side use "In Use" or "Occupied". Many have a red background or lettering when "Occupied" and green when not.

It's amazing what side topics come up as minor diversions in threads. A few months ago we had a discussion on time dilation due to being in a gravitational field!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Sorry about that. Some variants this side use "In Use" or "Occupied". Many have a red background or lettering when "Occupied" and green when not.

It's amazing what side topics come up as minor diversions in threads. A few months ago we had a discussion on time dilation due to being in a gravitational field!
Lol! I always miss the good stuff!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Forgotten War and Objective Schmidt on their way to me now.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Due to ordering both from different outfits, one is waiting for me at the local flower shop, and the other is still on its way, most likely to a post office. I'll pick up FW on my way back from the doctor's office, as a way to cheer me up from gloomy thoughts of "getting old, generally speaking".

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Through the Emporium here, I managed to acquire both "West of Alamein" and Solitaire ASL at VERY attractive prices. Also, eBay yielded a copy of "High Ground 2" for a pittance. Add to this a copy of "Kampfgruppe Scherer" from Battleschool (surely one of the last remaining not on the secondary market) and it's been a heck of an ASL month!

Now to find more time in my hectic schedule to play... (sigh)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Some new items arrived. Bought two of each because the WO pack has lovely maps and the Wacht Am Rhein pack has lovely counters.

varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpljrI9N.jpg