What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I really hate the idea of wasting people's time by repeatedly asking basic rules questions and by not playing well enough to make the game interesting.
After a few years you'll get over that and repeatedly ask basic rules questions with the best of them. Usually prefaced by something like, "wait, isn't there a rule that says..."

JR

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I really hate the idea of wasting people's time by repeatedly asking basic rules questions and by not playing well enough to make the game interesting. That being said, I am planning to hit Winter Offensive this year and do just that. As for ASLOk next year, we'll see...
Don't worry about that. Any ASLer worth his salt is happy to help a new guy along. Have fun at WO, it's a good tourney!

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
That's totally backwards, actually. Want to know the game well? Go to a tourney and mainline ASL, playing with a variety of players for a few days. Nothing will help you learn ASL more. Seriously. (Also tourneys are stupidly fun).

Nothing like your conscript half squad killing two squads of enemy elite by rolling snake-eyes on the last CC phase to deny your opponent a win and listening to him whine while everyone else says "I remember when . . . . ."

Tournaments are meant for everyone of all levels. It's how we all learn.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really hate the idea of wasting people's time by repeatedly asking basic rules questions and by not playing well enough to make the game interesting. That being said, I am planning to hit Winter Offensive this year and do just that. As for ASLOk next year, we'll see...
Errrr, you have already done that at WO...and almost beat me....AND it wasn't a waste of time. It was great fun for me.
YoSo you have the WO t-shirt...you need an ASLOk one. :)

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Errrr, you have already done that at WO...and almost beat me....AND it wasn't a waste of time. It was great fun for me.
YoSo you have the WO t-shirt...you need an ASLOk one. :)
Andy, as always, you are way too kind. I will throw myself in the deep end at WO 2018. If I don't drown too quickly, I will make every effort to get to ASLOk next year. You know that I've got the bug, and I don't see the ASL fever breaking anytime too soon.

Good luck to you at the ASLOk. Get the US its first ever win vs. the world!

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think a lot of people enjoy not only helping another player learn the rules better but also often times learning the rules themselves at the same time.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. I'm loving the game, so even if I prove to be an ASL idiot, I'm not going anywhere.

To get us back on track (sorry for the digression that I caused), it was a good ASL acquisition weekend for me. From the Facebook "Wargamer's Marketplace" forum, I finally was able to locate a (punched) copy of "Hollow Legions" at a price that I could live with. I'm very happy to have the Italian OoB. I also got a copy of Heat of Battle's "Tropic Thunder" from eBay. Given all the good things said about this scenario pack on the Desperation Morale site, I am looking forward to giving some of these scenarios a try.

It's getting so that I have a fairly complete kit. However, as all the people with whom I play are long-time ASL addicts, I could probably play for the rest of life with only the rulebook, a dice tower and a trusty-dusty retractable badge holder/LoS checker.

P.S. Forgot to mention that I ordered the Action Pack 13 from MMP and tossed in two more maps, as well (might as well make it worthwhile to pay postage).

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Wish that I were able to be there (still don't know the game well enough to warrant the trip). Play well and have a blast.
Thanks. 0-4 so far and loving every minute of it. I'm a decent player, but not great. I've had the good fortune to play four "great" players so far. One 16 hour monster that came down to two final CCs on the final turn. Another came down to the final half-turn. Each one delivered a small detail that showed why I am decent and they are good. Good times...

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. 0-4 so far and loving every minute of it. I'm a decent player, but not great. I've had the good fortune to play four "great" players so far. One 16 hour monster that came down to two final CCs on the final turn. Another came down to the final half-turn. Each one delivered a small detail that showed why I am decent and they are good. Good times...
I've gotten more than a couple of wins in my short tenure (my win-loss percentage isn't all that bad), but when I play the really good guys (like Andy Hershey) it's immediately obvious that they are playing a completely different game than I am; I guess it gives me something to shoot for. Anyway, I'm happy to hear that your first(?) trip to ASLOk has been a good experience. I hope to make the trip and take my "oh fer" lumps next year.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When you reach a point in a game where you realize that your only strategy going forward is to hope for some lucky rolls, you might be playing one of these much better players.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
When you reach a point in a game where you realize that your only strategy going forward is to hope for some lucky rolls, you might be playing one of these much better players.
Ritter, Martuzas, Pitcavage, Andy Rogers (4-0 in World Cup play!).....all lessons learned.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
What is the score at the moment for the USA the world?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uncle Sam's ASL'ers are more than likely getting their butts whupped (if past performance is a measure of success). Only when it comes to other competitive venues does it seem we have an upper hand (or at least a even chance).:D:mad:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andy, as always, you are way too kind. I will throw myself in the deep end at WO 2018. If I don't drown too quickly, I will make every effort to get to ASLOk next year. You know that I've got the bug, and I don't see the ASL fever breaking anytime too soon.

Good luck to you at the ASLOk. Get the US its first ever win vs. the world!
You will enjoy the swin against the current. BTW your buddy VolgaG68 and I played, he beat me in a fine game of Resignation Superman. He had an excellent defense, and though I closed in against him in an end game, he had the force to win, and it was to be a dash against the rocks. He mentioned that you underplayed your ability several times, with which I agreed. You are a good player already and will be a fine one soon enough.

Yes, you have the bug...and look forward to seeing you at ASLOK next year, as I am sure does the Major.

Last edited:

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW your buddy VolgaG68 and I played, he beat me in a fine game of Resignation Superman.
VolgaG68 has been a huge help to me in getting started. I got to trot out the Brits that he was kind enough to give me when I played Jack this weekend (it was nice to feel like an adult and supply the kit for the game). I'm glad that the two of you had a chance to throw down. I hope that Chris will be there to give me a working over next year in Cleveland, and I'm damn glad that you had a good time yourself. See you in November (when I think that I might be due to have John give me a thorough lesson in humility).

Last edited: