What ASL nickname would you want or not want to have?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have several bestowed upon me by Fish. Actionjick is a blend of two of them.

I wouldn't want to be known as Dull Darryl or Bland Burk.

Another silly thread. Have fun.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played a game when my flamethrower never ran dry, inflicting significant damage on the enemy. I bestowed the nickname "crispy" to my opponent.

I played another game where my 57L went on a rate tear and wiped out an attack on a flank. I was given the nickname "endless six pounder" after that game.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nicknames can only be bestowed. Giving yourself one never seems to work. I know. I tried to get my granddaughters to use 'Gramp Poobah' but it never took. Their grandmother wanted to be called 'nanna' so, of course, she is now 'gramma nanna'.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nicknames can only be bestowed upon by your opponent(s) and/or gaming buddies.
If you have a tendency to roll high [or low] in a critical game phase, you could be nicknamed "Mr. Lucky" {depending upon the roll}.

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nicknames can only be bestowed upon by your opponent(s) and/or gaming buddies.
If you have a tendency to roll high [or low] in a critical game phase, you could be nicknamed "Mr. Lucky" {depending upon the roll}.
I have friends who have occasionally called me, "Boxcar".

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would like to be known as "lucky bastard" but unfortunately my dice and the VASL dicebot have other ideas :rolleyes:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Nicknames can only be bestowed. Giving yourself one never seems to work. I know. I tried to get my granddaughters to use 'Gramp Poobah' but it never took. Their grandmother wanted to be called 'nanna' so, of course, she is now 'gramma nanna'.
Well, it seemed to have worked for "von Marwitz" and "the Oberst". You have to give people something that they can picture in their mind, that they like or at least recognize, and then "play that role" - tenaciously.

The nickname was originally chosen for a tank rumble in ye olde days in which there were limited commuications via the tanks' radios. Most players were Americans and these tend to like harsh sounding German names - if there is a "von" in it, all the better. At least, they include such things in every WW2 movie in creation originating from the US. Apparently, "it sells"...

Then give them pictures to form in their minds: Oberst Stransky from the movie "Steiner - Das Eiserne Kreuz" anyone? Playing with some well established stereotypes works as well, the spit-polish Prussian officer for example.

Slap a 6+1 on the forum avatar along with the rest, then give'em some chatter to play along these lines. Rinse & repeat for a decade or so. Don't forget to lose big time at some tournaments lamenting the injustice of the material superiority of the Allies for good measure...

There you go.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Ohhhhh I can just imagine what I'd end up with.
I've had some doozies in my day. Brillo was the initial one in first grade as my hair was really curly. More aptly applied to my afro a couple years after I got out of the Navy. It was magnificent!! That was a long time ago. ☹

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had some doozies in my day. Brillo was the initial one in first grade as my hair was really curly. More aptly applied to my afro a couple years after I got out of the Navy. It was magnificent!! That was a long time ago. ☹
so now down to one curl?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Do the cats try to groom them for you?
Well kitty girl Leela used to. Mainly what was left of my hair but occasionally my face. Old man grease must have tasted good to her. Either that or a hint about my personal hygiene.