What are you currently reading?

Historical Interpretations and American Historianship by Jennings B. Sanders

Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis

High Druid of Shannara: Tanequil by Terry Brooks

The Reformation: A History
by Diarmaid MacCulloch

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
"It is impossible to understand modern Europe without understanding these sixteenth-century upheavals in Latin Christianity," he writes. "They represented the greatest fault line to appear in Christian culture since the Latin and Greek halves of the Roman Empire went their separate ways a thousand years before; they produced a house divided."

Worked my way through the first 200 pages so, hope to have most of it read by the time I return to work.

Very interesting and very well written by a man who knows his Reformation!

Refeshing to read he advises having The Bible near at hand to follow the Theological Disputations at the heart of the split in the Western Christian Church.

Napoleon

Clarissa Oakes by Patrick O'Brian

To Rule The Waves by (Don't have book with me right now so don't know authour.)

The Mask of Command by John Keegan

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Supreme Courage: Heroic Stories from 150 Years of The Victoria Cross, General Sir Peter de la Billiere, Little, Brown, 2004.

Don, can you give a quick review of Clancy's book, when you're done? I would like to hear some opinions about that book.

I've read it, but to be honest, it was the least exciting book (fiction) I've read from him. I like his clean cut characters and black and white world (moraly speaking) he paints, but this time the man went ove the top,IMHO.

Sorry if this is off topic. I can post my opion about the book in another thread.

Cheers!

CPangracs

"On Point", a book about the preparation and conduct of OIF by some researchers here at the CGSC. Lots of facts and statistics, as well as quotes from numerous sources on the whole op.

Available through the Combat Studies Institute as an online book found HERE

I'm also reading the last book in Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series for my guilty pleasure! ;)

Curt

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
CPangracs said:
"On Point", a book about the preparation and conduct of OIF by some researchers here at the CGSC. Lots of facts and statistics, as well as quotes from numerous sources on the whole op.

Available through the Combat Studies Institute as an online book found HERE
Curt
Is this available as PDF anywhere? I usually copy and paste online articles into word for later reading but downloading a PDF is much easier. :D

"The Path to Victory" by Douglas Porch

I read some really good reviews of this book and I have read 400+ pages of the 600+ pages total so far. Porch's view is that the Meditteranean Theatre of World War II was pivotal. From what I read so far, he fails to prove his point. Also, the whole book is so unrelentingly negative towards everybody in every way possible that I am not sure I will be able to finish it. The guy busts on everybody and engages in attacks both on a personal and professional level. IMHO, bad history, unsupported thesis, and endlessly negative. This is disappointing because I was really looking forward to reading this book.

CPangracs

dhuffjr said:
Is this available as PDF anywhere? I usually copy and paste online articles into word for later reading but downloading a PDF is much easier. :D
Not that I know of, and there is software in place to prevent cut-n-paste from the site! ;)

Case

CPangracs said:
Not that I know of, and there is software in place to prevent cut-n-paste from the site! ;)
www.globalsecurity.org has a mirror of 'On Point' which can be copied and pasted. To find it, just enter 'On Point' in the search box on the site's front page.

Last edited:
Just picked up "To Destroy a City" by Herman Knell. He's a survivor of the Mar 45' bombing of Wurzburg. Basically he's writing about the bombing campaigns of both the Allied and Axis sides in both European and Pacific theatres. Surprisingly it's not too bias so far and really doesn't point fingers as to who was right and who was wrong but is more aimed at finding out why the Bomber Commands implemented area bombing against civillian targets and what their justifications were.