What Are These Counters?

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m clipping and sorting counters from Hakkaa Paalle. What do the stars and numbers mean on these counters? I searched Chapters D, E.1, and H, but could not find them. Thanks in advance.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m clipping and sorting counters from Hakkaa Paalle. What do the stars and numbers mean on these counters? I searched Chapters D, E.1, and H, but could not find them. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 19232
Those are vehicle searchlight counters. Basic rules for the use of these can be found in the Korean War Module (W10). I can't remember if there's an SR in any of the HP scenarios that also covers these or not. I don't believe there's a HP MAVN that covers their use either.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
These counters are not for the Korean War Module - they are for Russian MAVN P (from HP).

P. This AFV may be equipped with VCA/TCA searchlights—but only by SSR. Each tank in a platoon so equipped for night fighting had one or two searchlights mounted on the front of the hull, while the platoon leader’s vehicle had two additional searchlights mounted on the gun mantlet. When turned on, searchlights Illuminate the Location of the AFV as well as all in-LOS Locations [EXC: C2.6 restrictions also apply] in adjacent hex(es) in the VCA or TCA, as appropriate [EXC: Bypass side TCA hexes are limited to the hex(es) forming the bypassed hexside]. Searchlight counters may be placed or removed by a Good Order inherent crew in the same manner as a CE counter (D5.33; independent of CE/BU status) but may only be placed during setup or after making a Searchlight Usage DR (Δ) ≤ 8 (one DR if placing two counters on the same vehicle simultaneously). Designate a searchlight that has been turned on by placing a VCA/TCA Searchlight counter on top of the AFV as appropriate. A vehicle with searchlights turned on is considered to be engaged in a concealment-loss activity. Searchlights are eliminated by any Shock result, a Direct Fire ordnance hit through the appropriate CA and Aspect, or by an IFT result of 1 > K/# or better prior to the application of any CE DRM. Make a written side record of their availability.

What do the stars and numbers mean on these counters?
They indicate the range (i.e., one hex) of the Illumination of the Searchlight. Compare with the "3" on the Starshells and "6" on the IR counters.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks everyone for the answers. I found the section in Chapter H that discusses these. However, there are no illustrations, so I may never have made the connection that these were spotlights. This has been very helpful.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thanks everyone for the answers. I found the section in Chapter H that discusses these. However, there are no illustrations, so I may never have made the connection that these were spotlights. This has been very helpful.
Yes, in retrospect there should/could have been an counter illustration with the MAVN.