What are the best means to balance a scenario?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Agree with pretty much all of these principles. Except maybe #5 -- I let better players than myself do the final balancing. MY job as designer is to give them enough options to work with that won't ruin the feel or unique flavor of the scenario.

And I prefer Pepsi

See ya next week!
It was good advice for sure
I'm still not really clear on exactly what I should be doing to balance a scenario though
I just play through them and hope for the best I guess, tweak a little here and there
one more MMC, one less HMG that kind of thing

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm still not really clear on exactly what I should be doing to balance a scenario though
I just play through them and hope for the best I guess, tweak a little here and there
Well if you find yourself adding things back that you already 'balanced' out -- that's good sign that you are finished. Time to leave it alone -or at least let someone else take a look at it.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree with pretty much all of these principles. Except maybe #5 -- I let better players than myself do the final balancing. MY job as designer is to give them enough options to work with that won't ruin the feel or unique flavor of the scenario.

And I prefer Pepsi

See ya next week!
“I took the road less travelled, and that made all the difference.”

P.S. try Mexican Coke. The cane sugar makes a huge, unbelievable difference.

Last edited:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a wiser man than me once said, get it close then just adjust game length…

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Most start well after the barrage. If it was immediately after, units should be broken, pinned, and maybe should have some other mechanism to reflect how discombobulated they were. Imagine being on a no move counter and all fire halved as area fire to reflect the disorganization of the units. All the wire cut to the forward OPs. No communication with Company and Battalion HQ. The lack of coordination in your efforts. How do you reflect the shell shock of the survivors? -- jim
I always liked the idea of scenarios that started with the OBs not totally intact. Gives it a different flavor.

Vernors ginger soda and Fever Tree ginger beer. Mainly as mixers.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well if you find yourself adding things back that you already 'balanced' out -- that's good sign that you are finished. Time to leave it alone -or at least let someone else take a look at it.
Thanks, that's good advice
My buddies are a great help with playtesting, going over the scenarios etc. (I just hope they're not getting fed up of it already is all :))

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If the forces are close, tension can be adjusted through game length and VC. But the forces must be interesting to begin with. That's my take anyways. -- jim
for sure. I have to admit it's often quite difficult to come up with something other than the standard vanilla 'Americans/British vs Germans' but it is possible (I just got a new book on the Italians in Russia so who knows)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
for sure. I have to admit it's often quite difficult to come up with something other than the standard vanilla 'Americans/British vs Germans' but it is possible (I just got a new book on the Italians in Russia so who knows)
I have a couple in the works with Fort. They are my first efforts. :D -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have a couple in the works with Fort. They are my first efforts. :D -- jim
Just like a virgin? 😉🤣

You can't ask for anyone better than Gary to help pop your design cherry.!

Seriously just follow your own advice and you'll do fine.

Scenarios with Americans will be a sure winner if you include Sergeants Conner and Burk in the OB.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Just like a virgin? 😉🤣

You can't ask for anyone better than Gary to help pop your design cherry.!

Seriously just follow your own advice and you'll do fine.

Scenarios with Americans will be a sure winner if you include Sergeants Conner and Burk in the OB.
I have provided a lot of input that has made its way into other people's work. I have also spent more than a decade proof reading other's work. I wouldn't call it so much my first, rather my first after the bicycle got the treasure first. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have provided a lot of input that has made its way into other people's work. I have also spent more than a decade proof reading other's work. I wouldn't call it so much my first, rather my first after the bicycle got the treasure first. -- jim
Still a bit different when it's your name on the work. Best of luck with it.

Also Sakana and Dao are proven winners in Japanese scenarios. 😉