What about PANZER GRENADIERS

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everything I have seen points to it being a good purchase.

Everything I have heard points to it being a good purchase.

It looks well developed with numerous modules. and the rules are not overly complex either.

If I had to compare it with anything, I would say it is a Panzerblitz/Leader type players sort of game.

I have sadly walked past it a few times on the shelf thanks to inadequate funds.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forgot to sign in, that last "Guest" posts was me.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought the first game right after it came out, but gave up on it fairly quickly as it seemed to have no flavor or personality of its own-generic might be a good term, or maybe just "bland".

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those might be a valid points Chas.

The only thing I can say in response, is unless a person already owns ASL and or Panzerblitz/Leader, their choices are a bit confined for this scale of gaming action for board gaming.

There are not all that many games out there at this scale that are both new, and not requiring a person employ eBay as their source.

MMP is supposed to be working on PB2, but I will assume it won't see the light of day till 2006. Not a problem for me, as I own the original. But might be annoying for someone waiting.

On the subject of "generic and bland" guess what, precisely the reason I don't own most of the markets computer wargames.
Put the term RTS on the box, and odds are you have just lost a sale from me. Make it a shooter with finite playings, and odds are I would rather pass. Money is to scarce to buy yet another game that won't last long enough.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ERRRR sign in is going to make me freak hehe, that also was my post.

(remembered to check "remember me" box this time).

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Panzergrenadier system now has a number of modules out covering a variety of theaters and types of actions, so I'm not sure it's as generic as the original module might have seemed.

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The game initially had a lot of negative publicity about it due to a horrible rule book.

That has been resolved and the game certainly seems to have a following.

I have the "Airborne" game (i'm a sucker for Normandy) and hated the map. It is truly horrible. AND it has a 1/8" overhang so you often cut the living crap out of your hands.

The counters are beautiful.

I haven't had the time to try and play the game, but it looks straightforward enough.

My only concern with the series would be the volume at which it is produced. It seems as if two or three games per year come out and each has 50 or so scenarios. To me that's scary, but that's an ASL players mindset, I think. Or maybe they have dozens of fulltime playtesters. That would certainly make me feel better. 8)

I believe the games are all "stand alone", find one that interests you and give it a shot. If nothing else you're supporting the hobby you love.

Brian

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian's comments re the map, rules, and counters, are widely echoed: the early rules were bad but have basically been fixed, many people hate the maps, most people adore the counters.

As for the # of products coming out per year--that just makes me jealous.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know that if you enable cookies for this web site, you do not have to log in ... well ever again. Check your security functions and see if you can enable cookies for this site only.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yep aware of that, but every now and then I dump the cookies off computer, and just forget to log back in initially hehe.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
13 years later.....nearly 100 titles, over 100 geomorphic boards, tremendous online support at PGHQ. You can get PG free from the publisher...down load rules and charts, they'll mail you a scenario from Kursk with a map panel and countersheet for the cost of postage.