What about Map Bundle?

bennyb

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If they're doing the overlay bundle, as the rumor suggests; They may as well throw in some rubble overlays too, please! :devious:

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Overlay Bundle?

I don't see the point of an overlay bundle. If all the components of an overlay bundle are in hand, then why not offer the components separately, so that you could replace specific items that have been damaged, or that you have lost?

There was a time when AH/MMP sold game components separately. But they have not done that for some years, at least not systematically. I understand that they sometimes take direct inquiries.

Perhaps some day they will be able to resume selling components.

On the other hand, I think that there are some out there who can think of no better winter project than to cut out every one of those things all over again. But the really sick ones are the people who would buy an overlay bundle and never cut them out, just so that they could "have" them.:crosseye:

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If all the components of an overlay bundle are in hand, then why not offer the components separately, so that you could replace specific items that have been damaged, or that you have lost?
The major reason is that it costs a game company as much to process an order for a single low cost item, for say $2, as it does for a set of those items for, say $20. In addition, it's a production and inventory nightmare.

So from a business perspective, stocking a bunch of low price items that are ordered singly is a good way to lose money.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
The major reason is that it costs a game company as much to process an order for a single low cost item, for say $2, as it does for a set of those items for, say $20. In addition, it's a production and inventory nightmare.

So from a business perspective, stocking a bunch of low price items that are ordered singly is a good way to lose money.
An incredibly good way to lose money, not to mention add a lot of hard miles to your life.

Last time I looked, theres about ~30 (?) seperate overlay sheets. To sell these seperately, each one would require a SKU and just generating/maintaining a SKU costs money, even if you never sell a one of them.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If they're doing the overlay bundle, as the rumor suggests; They may as well throw in some rubble overlays too, please! :devious:
And, I'd like to point out that no where in this thread (except in the message above) is there any "rumor" that there will be a overlay bundle. Some people have asked for it, but no one from MMP has said they'd do it. Have they?

What I'd like is for out of print overlays to be available for download. I was looking at one of the scnearios from LFT #10 - but it required an overlay from LFT #7. (One of the few products I don't have.)

I'd rather not pay $35 for an overlay. But, YMMV.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually overlays are perfect to sell individually, no need for an overlay bundle. All you need is the files stored digitally and a reasonably good quality printer. I would use Just-In-Time production; print overlays as they are ordered. There is no need for mass printings and a cumbersome inventory to maintain. Maps could be done as well, but the investment would be higher as the printer required would be bigger/better so the economics may not work on maps, but I would think overlays would be easy.

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually overlays are perfect to sell individually, no need for an overlay bundle. All you need is the files stored digitally and a reasonably good quality printer. I would use Just-In-Time production; print overlays as they are ordered. There is no need for mass printings and a cumbersome inventory to maintain. Maps could be done as well, but the investment would be higher as the printer required would be bigger/better so the economics may not work on maps, but I would think overlays would be easy.
Exactly, but some of these guys dont know much about MODERN business with computers and digital technologies, those new fangled things. i work in the printing industry and know exactly how much these businesses make off of selling small, very very low cost items ( cost of paper and ink).
Now i agree the maintenance on their websites i know nothing of the cost but i know you could buy overlays from a printer for around 10 cents a sheet if more than 1000 are done at a time, selling for a few dollars each, im sure there is room for error and overhead, but it certainly isnt going to make anyone rich, and may well be a nightmare for the ladies in the office at MMP.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Exactly, but some of these guys dont know much about MODERN business with computers and digital technologies, those new fangled things. i work in the printing industry and know exactly how much these businesses make off of selling small, very very low cost items ( cost of paper and ink).
Now i agree the maintenance on their websites i know nothing of the cost but i know you could buy overlays from a printer for around 10 cents a sheet if more than 1000 are done at a time, selling for a few dollars each, im sure there is room for error and overhead, but it certainly isnt going to make anyone rich, and may well be a nightmare for the ladies in the office at MMP.
It's not the printing, but the management and stocking of that many different part numbers that would be a nightmare.

Now, in the electronic/computer vein, they could sell a download of the files (probably PDF) to print out the overlays? Of course, they would probably sell exactly ONE of those.....

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now, in the electronic/computer vein, they could sell a download of the files (probably PDF) to print out the overlays? Of course, they would probably sell exactly ONE of those.....
But if they sold it for the right price, it could still be lucrative. :D

Besides it's not that hard to just color copy/scan your buddies if you're desperate for an overlay that you lost. Why go to the trouble of pirating the "official" PDF?

Frankly it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to just offer a .pdf of all overlays on their web site as a free service. Given how many are out of print etc. I certainly wouldn't begrudge them charging something for it either & my guess is that presuming the .pdf was a reasonable download fee a majority of ASLers who wanted it, would pay for it rather than stealing a copy from a buddy...

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Frankly it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to just offer a .pdf of all overlays on their web site as a free service. Given how many are out of print etc. I certainly wouldn't begrudge them charging something for it either & my guess is that presuming the .pdf was a reasonable download fee a majority of ASLers who wanted it, would pay for it rather than stealing a copy from a buddy...
Probably a good idea, but I'm thinking that the overlays are part of ASL (read: Hasborg) IP, which would probably require a royalty per set of overlays? Even if MMP didn't make a penny on the sale, there is possibly some cost associated with distributing these?

I dunno the details of how the MMP/Hasbro ASL arrangement works, so all of this is conjecture on my part.

Just putting it on the web page as a free download would be the quickest, easiest way to get these out.