WG2 Assault on the Teploye Heights, Thoughts? Balanced?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

It has been a very very long time since I have played this old classic so I personally can not recall if this action was balanced or not. Just looking at the OB's the Germans might have an edge. But with the russian scum getting 300 minefield factors, that might perhaps be a tipping point towards the russkies. Anyway, who else has played and what are your thoughts on this action?

Scott

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What does WG stand for? Who produced this scenario?

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alan Saltzman and I played it several times in the 90's. If I remember correctly once the Germans break through the mine belt the Russians are screwed.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Is it a monster scenario? 300 mine factors is a hell of a lot.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played it with Jim Taylor about 3 or 4 years back on VASL. Had a good time with it. When we dissected the game later, we were able to find things I could have improved on the defense. I think it can be tight, but screw up the defense, even a little bit and the Russians are hosed. It is tougher on them I do believe than on the Germans.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I wished i had played that scenario. Now with the passing of time i may find the board configuration a tad too vanilla.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bet if you added the right CVP cap it could be a really balanced scenario. I don't have any idea what the cap should be as it has been at least 20 years since I played this baby...
Steve

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I bet if you added the right CVP cap it could be a really balanced scenario. I don't have any idea what the cap should be as it has been at least 20 years since I played this baby...
Steve
Soft Cap baby :)

Take more ground increase the Cap.

Much Better I think than a hard cap for having a good game, and may even correspond to Soviet doctrine of the time.

As long as you were clearing ground a few more bodies not so critical.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well with thousands of newer scenarios out there, be it that most are new stuff is not fun to play, I really do not see people wasting time rehashing something that monstrous. Strange, as I get older, I find I have less time to play than I did when I was younger. Doing a monster scenario nowadays is a major undertaking and might take weeks to complete.