West Front 44 v. 2.63 Heldenkaiser vs. Nemo

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Since this campaign turns out to be so much fun I have decided--a little belatedly, as it's already T9--to post a DAR ("during" action report, obviously) here. Nemo is kindly requested to keep out. :D

Since I have a bad memory for details, for those turns that have already passed, the map snapshots will have to tell most of the story. Later on, I hope to write a few words immediately after closing each turn. :shy:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 1 / 13th May 1944

The assault on the Gustav Line opens! The German defence is strong (and all 12th USAF bombers immediately go on reorg, as they will btw keep doing for several turns on end), but British 1st Armoured, as spearhead of V Corps, takes Pescara, US II Cps, supported by the French EF, breaks through on the Tyrhennic Sea Coast, and after heavy combat, British XIII Cps forces a surrender of the German paratroopers in Cassino. The breakout from the Anzio beachhead after heavy fighting gains only a single hex. And the center of the German line holds, in spite of the exertions of the brave Indians. The Canadians are the central reserve and are enjoying their tea in the rear ... :)

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 2 / 16th May 1944

The Allied advance is gaining momentum. The Gustav Line collapses on its entire length and some German divisions are cut off in the mountains and eliminated. US II Cps achieves the link-up with the Anzio beachhead, which is quite a relieve, because the units stuck there could do little in that restricted space. But we are also encountering the first high quality German armoured and mech divisions in front of Rome (3rd, 29th, 90th PzGren). Well, I guess they're high quality. They're mighty stubborn. (Which will also get them cut off later. :D) The Canadians have joined the battle and are closing in on L'Aquila.
Oh btw we're running up quite a loss penalty. It's now 27 to 3 and it will get much worse soon.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 3 / 20th May 1944

The last Germans units from the old Gustav Line are gone and the frontline is thickening on both sides. British V Cps on the right is stuck for the moment; restricted terrain and too many Germans. But XIII Cps, the Poles and the Canadians are bypassing L'Aquila and are starting to form a pocket around the massed Germans troops there. Two Corps HQ's, 15th PzGren and the Hermann Goering Pz Division are in there. The Americans on the left are massing up for a direct drive on Rome. Loss penalty: 36 to 3. And overwhelming defeat, of course. :shy:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 4 / 23rd May 1944

I realize this doesn't look much changed compared to the last ... but L'Aquila is gone, quite a German stronghold, and that nasty bulge between the old Anzio beachhead and the frontline erased, which had restricted movement on the coastal plain quite a lot. BTW I forgot to mention, the brave Indians are in reserve at Vasto now, having lost quite heavily in the first week. Also, not quite visible on this snapshot, British X Cps, the Commonwealth troops, is also holding in the centre to gather new strength and will be the new general reserve of the army.
Loss penalty: 45 to 5.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 5 / 27th May 1944

This is when the fun starts. The German defences are beginning to crumble in several places. The fresh 36th US Infantry Division has outflanked the German defences on the Tyrhennic Sea coast and is in the outskirts of ROME. XIII Cps units (4th Infantry and 6th Armoured) have broken through in impossible terrain in the centre and formed two large pockets in cooperation with the Canadians. Well, one is not a pocket yet, but it will be soon. :)
Still no progress on the right. Loss penalty 44 to 5.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 6 / 30th May 1944

The German front lines are collapsing quickly now. The Americans have broken out completely on the left, have encircled Rome and have a large part of the German armoured forces (XIV and LXXVI PzKps) in a rapidly closing new pocket. The large pocket NW of L'Aquila is eliminated. 8 Army on the Adriatic shore is still blocked completely though.

This is the turn on which Marc said "I should have heeded Mensch's advice and begin my retreat from turn 1, instead of trying to fight in place". To which I replied "I have frequently found it's a good idea to run even though the scenario designer thinks you ought to make a stand. I suppose that means it's not often a good idea to make a stand when even the scenario designer thinks you should run!" :D

Loss penalty 40 to 7. It's beginning to hurt the Germans, but nowhere near as much as us. :shy:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 7 / 3rd June 1944

General advance! The Germans are in full retreat. One pocket in the centre is eliminated, there is again a new one NE of Rome (although some German armoured forces made good their escape before it closed), and 8 Army is finally on the move again on the right. The Canadians are pushing ahead in the centre. I am still resting X Corps in the rear, it's nearly back to full strength and supply now. BTW did I mention that some divisions really gained a razor-edge proficiency in the early combats? I have a NZ and an Indian division at 98% and 96%, respectively.

Loss penalty 37 to 9. It's getting better. For the moment. :)

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 8 / 6th June 1944

D-Day! We land in Britanny, not so much for the 25 VP bonus (although it's welcome, as it compensates for the 20 VP lost in choosing the 2 turn activation of the UK-based strategic bombers), but because it's close to Allied fighter cover, far from the German reinforcements, and--as a small peninsula with rugged terrain and a narrow neck covered by a river line--easily defensible.
Most important bridges are blown as far east as Tours, Le Mans and Le Havre (I spare Paris for the sake of it, after having burnt down Rome I thought I had to do something to look better in the papers :D), but the landing is a disaster.
As a result of some major goofs we end up with nearly half of the invasion force still embarked. That XXX Corps on the extreme right (west) is fortunate enough to RBC a flak unit and gain dry ground without a fight before the first round of combats really saves the landing.
Moreover I completely forget to use the paras until 70% of the turn are burnt. In the end I still drop them to throw a few stones before the Germans' feet to help secure my fragile beachhead, but only the 82nd and 101st manage to land in one piece and dig in; the commandos and the British airborne remain scattered and mobile.

In Italy, the Germans are still on the run. No enemy in front on both shores, and in the centre only scattered pieces and one batallion of heavy armour on the main RR (which will evap a Polish armoured brigade next turn.)

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 9 / 10th June 1944

The replay of Marc's turn is an impressive 2,500 moves worth of Luftwaffe flying all west. Quite an air armada! Fortunately they don't succeed in sinking my still embarked units off the Britanny coast. It would probably have meant disaster for the invasion. In fact, Marc experiences an early turn end after only one combat round. Hard for him, but I am extremely relieved.

Reinforcements land en masse and the beachhead expands inland quickly. The present plan is to use the US troops to form a solid shoulder on the left near Mont Saint-Michel, where German resistance is also consolidating most quickly, and to use the British units to swing left from the right and sweep the peninsula clean. There seem to be hardly any German troops west of the river, which is a pleasant surprise. Maybe we can even take Brest? :shy:

Italy begins to be boring for the time being. We can't positively advance even near as fast as the Germans run. The only significant event is a Polish tank brigade being evaporated when attacking the German heavy armour roadblock near Terni.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 10 / 13th June 1944

The heavy bombers we had on loan for the invasion are returned to the fruitless "strategic" bombing campaign. So it's "normal" air support for the time being. More reinforcements, the beachhead continues to expand and reaches the far coast in places. Brest is invested by XXX Cps, Vannes by I Cps. The corps sectors are being sorted out. At the moment I am still quite happy about having landed in Britanny. I can't imagine a situation even half as comforting by D+10 in Normandy, let alone near Calais.

Italy: still running after the Germans and getting quite out of steam. US II Cps drops behind to rest and recover losses. I'll probably have to hold the Canadians and British V Cps soon as well. The only fresh units at the moment are X Cps and the French E.F. With 91st US Infantry Division, the first unit of US IV Cps arrives.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 11 / 17th June 1944

German reinforcements continue to arrive at the front--I am seeing some of the dreaded SS Panzer Divisions already--but mine are pouring in as well. I am building up frontline strength to the eastward while at the same time eliminating the remaining pockets of resistance (Brest is of course a priority target), but the Germans are tough. The first combat round kills 50% of my turn, thanks to a few tanks deep in the red and deep in the bushes of central Britanny. A softening-up attack by the 101st AB against Rennes makes no impression at all on the Panzer Lehr. A SAS brigade evaporates while participating in an attack against Vannes. Also, the temporary mulberry port disappears.

In Italy, we have found the new German main line of resistance. It runs from south of Livorno to Rimini, but apparantely it's still in the process of being built. A pity my own army is so out of steam, because at the moment a couple of fresh corps could just push through and reach the Po valley.
The heavy armour is finally eliminated, but a couple of wayward German regiments is still south of our lines, one has even retaken Grosseto.
V Cps is now resting, X Cps is on its way back to the front to take over as the new spearhead on the east coast. On the west coast, at the moment, there is very little left that can still fight.

Loss penalty: 48 to 15.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 12 / 20th June 1944

For the moment, we are more or less stuck in Britanny. While more reinforcements arrive and it's increasingly becoming difficult to find room to squeeze them all in the frontline without overstacking too badly, the line itself does not move an inch in spite of several combat rounds' worth of attacks across the entire US sector. Panzer Lehr in Rennes is pounded all the way from dark green to orange, but does not yield. Most other German stacks are not even dug out of their "F" status. The only good news is that Brest and Vannes have fallen. Brest, I understand, will improve my supply status, so this is most welcome.

In Italy, even less happens. The German battalions that were cut off behind my lines are eliminated, Grosseto is retaken, X Cps is back in the frontline and launching an attack on Rimini, but to no avail. The Germans are rather stubborn; special recognition I believe is due to the 2nd/34th Infantry Division on the road north of Siena which resists six or seven attacks from the French 3rd Division without even losing its "F" status.

Loss penalty is skyrocketing, 58 to 18. :angry:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 13 / 23th June 1944

Very little progress in Britanny. Lorient falls to the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. US V and VII Cps methodically assault the German lines round after round without causing significantly more losses than they take. In fact, casualties seem about equal, which is bad, considering our higher loss intolerance, but then again may also be good, seeing our (hopefully) more ample resources. In a final round in which I use completely fresh troops and "ignore losses" against every hex in the German line, only a single hex is gained (south of Rennes). Rennes itself does not fall in spite of all our exertions. (Panzer Lehr must be an empty shell of an armoured division by now. It still does not yield. :()

In Italy (close-up shot, since nothing has changed further back--or anywhere for that matter), we are unable to even try to achieve anything. Minimum supply and minimum readiness is the standard conditions for everyone except Commonwealth X Cps which somewhat reduces Rimini's value as a seaside resort for post-war tourists without being able to take it from an assorted Panzergrenadier / Panzerjäger / StuG force.

BTW (since I find elements of 29. PzGren in the Rimini garrison), I am somewhat surprised at how quickly units that I destroyed only a few turns ago return to the front reconstituted. I wonder if that's historical? :surprise:

Loss penalty 64 to 18! :OHNO:

(And yes, I am trying a new alt graphics set. Sorry for the resulting graphical inconsistency of this report.)

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Very little progress in Britanny. Lorient falls to the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. US V and VII Cps methodically assault the German lines round after round without causing significantly more losses than they take. In fact, casualties seem about equal, which is bad, considering our higher loss intolerance, but then again may also be good, seeing our (hopefully) more ample resources. In a final round in which I use completely fresh troops and "ignore losses" against every hex in the German line, only a single hex is gained (south of Rennes). Rennes itself does not fall in spite of all our exertions. (Panzer Lehr must be an empty shell of an armoured division by now. It still does not yield. :()

In Italy (close-up shot, since nothing has changed further back--or anywhere for that matter), we are unable to even try to achieve anything. Minimum supply and minimum readiness is the standard conditions for everyone except Commonwealth X Cps which somewhat reduces Rimini's value as a seaside resort for post-war tourists without being able to take it from an assorted Panzergrenadier / Panzerjäger / StuG force.

BTW (since I find elements of 29. PzGren in the Rimini garrison), I am somewhat surprised at how quickly units that I destroyed only a few turns ago return to the front reconstituted. I wonder if that's historical? :surprise:

Loss penalty 64 to 18! :OHNO:

(And yes, I am trying a new alt graphics set. Sorry for the resulting graphical inconsistency of this report.)
A) I'm really, REALLY, enjoyignt he AAR!! I lov this scenario. :D
B) Keep in mind that evaporation does not mean destruction in TOAW. It means a loss of coherence, which is inevitably brought back together in a matte of time, soemtimes not much time.
Where thsi explination breaks down somewhat is when a fully surrounded, out of supply, unit is evaporated. However, the quick reconstitution would only come if there are ample reserves to form a new unit and must be seen, in this scenario, as the quick rebuilding of a unit around a cadre of troops that surrvived formthe unit, or as the formation of a new unit with the same name.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Where thsi explination breaks down somewhat is when a fully surrounded, out of supply, unit is evaporated. However, the quick reconstitution would only come if there are ample reserves to form a new unit and must be seen, in this scenario, as the quick rebuilding of a unit around a cadre of troops that surrvived formthe unit, or as the formation of a new unit with the same name.
Yes, but that's what happened here. Those units were surrounded in one turn somewhere deep down in Italy, then evaporated the next turn or that after the next (definitely quite out of supply by then), and still they return maybe 3-5 turns later deep in central Germany! That's definitely quite a feat on the part of the German military administration, collecting the cadre (which had quite a distance to walk from deep behind my lines, even if it was not captured wholesale), shipping it back to Germany, and building an entirely new unit around it, and that all within two weeks or so! :surprise:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, but that's what happened here. Those units were surrounded in one turn somewhere deep down in Italy, then evaporated the next turn or that after the next (definitely quite out of supply by then), and still they return maybe 3-5 turns later deep in central Germany! That's definitely quite a feat on the part of the German military administration, collecting the cadre (which had quite a distance to walk from deep behind my lines, even if it was not captured wholesale), shipping it back to Germany, and building an entirely new unit around it, and that all within two weeks or so! :surprise:
It could be unrealistic. However, for it to have been rebuilt the Axis player must have had lots of replacements in the pool, so the way you'll have to look at it and find realism is that the Germans, apparently at this stage, have a good ammount of reserves and they were able to put together a new division and just named it the same and called it rebuilt. This is able to be explained as stragglers from other units being reformed into X,X, and X rgt and being combined to form the NEW XPzGrn Div that was just destroyed in Italy.

Many divisions were rebuilt following the loss of Stalingrad out of fresh troops and simply given those old names, because they had reserves of fresh troops, or stragglers form other divisions already reforming . The biggest unrealistic thing is that this unit here was rebuilt in 3-5 turns (1.5-2.5 weeks) instead of a month.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 14 / 27th June 1944

The German line across the neck of the Britanny peninsula is becoming intimidatingly solid. A breakout is overdue. Very heavy fighting along the line however gains a few hexes only in the final rounds (I got 7 or 8 this time). Rennes finally falls for good, after Panzer Lehr is completely wrecked. North of it the 1st, and in the forests north of Nantes the 30th Division advance one hex each, but British VIII Cps completely fails to make any headway against a couple of 3rd rate German infantry divisions north of Saint-Nazaire. German StuGs are a pain in the neck along the line; not only do they never yield ground, they also don't seem to ever lose supply or readiness. Or maybe their green light is simply a cunning deception device. :(

In Italy, nothing at all happens. Most corps are too fought-out to even attempt anything; and British X Corps' armour fails to take Rimini in spite of heavy fighting.

Loss penalty 69 to 20. :angry:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Allied Turn 14 / 27th June 1944

The German line across the neck of the Britanny peninsula is becoming intimidatingly solid. A breakout is overdue. Very heavy fighting along the line however gains a few hexes only in the final rounds (I got 7 or 8 this time). Rennes finally falls for good, after Panzer Lehr is completely wrecked. North of it the 1st, and in the forests north of Nantes the 30th Division advance one hex each, but British VIII Cps completely fails to make any headway against a couple of 3rd rate German infantry divisions north of Saint-Nazaire. German StuGs are a pain in the neck along the line; not only do they never yield ground, they also don't seem to ever lose supply or readiness. Or maybe their green light is simply a cunning deception device. :(

In Italy, nothing at all happens. Most corps are too fought-out to even attempt anything; and British X Corps' armour fails to take Rimini in spite of heavy fighting.

Loss penalty 69 to 20. :angry:
Perhaps a one-two punch as historically performed...Or a week of rest followed by an attack on a narrower front, with more concentrated force?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: Allied Turn 14 / 27th June 1944

Perhaps a one-two punch as historically performed...Or a week of rest followed by an attack on a narrower front, with more concentrated force?
Actually I hesitate to concentrate more ... I usually try to avoid yellow lights, and two infantry divisions in a hex is the maximum then, while an armoured division cannot be stacked at all except with something very small (an Eng or AT regiment), so under these conditions the present force density is all I can afford. Otherwise I believe losses would be even worse than they are now.

My hope is that slowly grinding the Germans to dust will do the trick as well ... might be slow now, but could result in a quick collapse later. I hope! :)