West Coast Melee

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When is the hotel going to have info regarding the convention room block rate so I can reserve a room?

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I asked the SoCal ASL president and unfortunately there's no information at the moment. I think they typically have the pre-reg info up by December.

The www.socalasl.com should be the main place for information, but the old West Coast Melee XXI banner from last year is still up, no new one yet.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The registration PDF packet is available on the www.socalasl.com website, please click in the upper right corner. The West Coast Melee will be from Thursday, February 21st through Sunday, February 24th, 2019.

Venue is the Ontario Gateway Hotel, 2200 E. Holt, Ontario CA 91761, phone (909) 975-5000. Please make reservations before Feb. 7th. Links and group rate are in the packet.

Details about the event are in the packet, but here's a summary:

The event opens on Thursday morning, 10 am, February 21st for open ASL gaming (registration desk opens at noon, check in anytime during the day).

On Friday, any pick-up games as well as games played in the three mini-tournaments count towards your score for entry into the Saturday 8-person, 3-round tournament (3 mini winners and 5 top scorers proceed to the Saturday tournament).

Saturday will also have three more mini-tournaments as well as room for pick-up games.

Starter Kit players, as always with the West Coast Melee, are welcome and will be paired up for games, given rules help and any other assistance as needed.

The gaming room closes on Sunday, 4pm.

Last edited:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please note the Ontario Gateway Hotel address is 2200 E Holt, it is missing a "0" in the preregistration packet.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
West Coast Melee started today.

In years past, we have shared hotel space with some interesting events...wedding receptions, speed-dating events, even self-empowerement gurus...but this year just may take the cake. When I pulled into the parking lot after work, I hapenned to notice the marquee announcement welcoming the "Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling" to the hotel.

One way or another...this is going to be a wild weekend!!! :p:rofl::LOL:o_O

Semper Fi!
Scott

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
West Coast Melee started today.

In years past, we have shared hotel space with some interesting events...wedding receptions, speed-dating events, even self-empowerement gurus...but this year just may take the cake. When I pulled into the parking lot after work, I hapenned to notice the marquee announcement welcoming the "Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling" to the hotel.

One way or another...this is going to be a wild weekend!!! :p:rofl::LOL:o_O

Semper Fi!
Scott
especially given some of those Ladies of Wrestling secondary income generation employment.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No ladies were harmed or even seen during this year's WCM. LOL

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No ladies were harmed or even seen during this year's WCM. LOL

...correction, Jon...ladies were seen at WCM. Last night in the bar there was a table of four people...three ladies, and one that I suspect may have been in the process of becoming a lady. :unsure:?:LOL:

I did see Larry's wife on Friday night...and my girlfriend stopped by last night.

This morning, in the other banquet rooms at the hotel there were both a ministry service and a fraternity meeting/party...a couple of the ladies for the ministry service wandered pretty far into the room, towards the back, before they realized their error.

You miss all of the excitement.

Semper Fi!
Scott

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So did my boy Dave Derisinki win the Tourney?
He may not be "your boy" after he sees how badly you mis-spelled his name. :p:LOL:?

No, Dave did not attend. The final was between Hank Withar and Sheldon Ryland...I believe that Hank won, but I was fairly mentally fried from my own game on Sunday that I forget. The club president will post his AAR with the winners listed in a couple of days.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think we will just refer to him as The Wizard. lol

He may not be "your boy" after he sees how badly you mis-spelled his name. :p:LOL:?

No, Dave did not attend. The final was between Hank Withar and Sheldon Ryland...I believe that Hank won, but I was fairly mentally fried from my own game on Sunday that I forget. The club president will post his AAR with the winners listed in a couple of days.

Semper Fi!
Scott

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Below is the AAR from our club President, Jim Aikens...

Greetings ASL Fans;

The dust has settled. The smoke has cleared. And West Coast Melee XXII is now in the books.

First, the winners:

West Coast Melee XXII Champion: Hank W.

Second Place: Sheldon Ryland

Third Place: Jim Svette

Fourth Place: David Myers

This was the first final 4 placement for Jim and David.

We ran a total of 5 mini-tournaments over the course of the weekend, and I'm pleased to say that all of them were wrapped up by Saturday evening:

"Bloody Burma": Hank W.

"Personal Best": Sheldon Ryland

"Eye of the Tiger": David Myers

"Deluxe ASL": Larry Rohlfing

"Flesh and Steel": Mark Pandori

Congratulations to all of our winners!

This was our first event at the Ontario Gateway Hotel. The game room was huge, and perfectly planned out, with 28 eight foot tables and 18" wide side tables running down both sides of the room. It was easily the best game room we've ever had, bar none. Overall, the hotel was fine, with only minor inadequacies that would be expected from a first-time experience at a new facility. But the entire hotel staff was polite, and very responsive when properly directed. The hotel bar was only steps away from the game room, and we were able to order food from there for both lunch and dinner. The food was reasonably good and not over-priced. The buffet breakfasts were good, if a little repetitive.

We had 47 attendees, which we are very pleased with. Almost as important, we booked over 70 room nights with the hotel. As many of you know, when negotiating hotel contracts, pricing is based on total room nights. That high number of booked room nights gives us leverage for negotiating contracts for next year with the hotel.

Five of our attendees launched a VotG CG and played it throughout the weekend. We all enjoyed checking in on their progress from time to time throughout the event.

Our final room sweep on Sunday afternoon produced a rather large number of 'lost and found' items. For most of them, we were able to figure out who they need to be returned to, and I have contacted the owners. But we still have three items looking for a home: 1) a pocket rule book 2) a laminated original QRDC card and 3) a blue retractable LOS string. Check your kit, and let me know if you wish to claim any of these items.

West Coast Melee is a lot of work. Thankfully, we are blessed with a great bunch of guys, who happily donate their time to make sure everything gets done. And throughout the weekend I asked various members to help out with this or that, and in every case they stepped in without hesitation to help out, and I want to thank all of you for your assistance and cooperation. Below are a few that really deserve a special thanks from me. In no particular order:

Dan Plachta & Scott Thompson: For policing the room on Sunday afternoon and rounding up 'lost and found' items.

Dave Nicholas: For making himself available to mentor the 7-0's again this year. Dave also handled our sweet looking plaques.

Eric Visnowski: For preparing all of the scenario choices for all of the mini-tournaments and all 3 rounds of The Melee. I'll tell you from experience, that's a big job. Once he selected the scenarios, Eric and I played all of the ones we were unfamiliar with to make sure they would work in a tournament format.

Sheldon Ryland: For serving as our greeter on Thursday afternoon, and also serving as our un-official "Director of Entertainment" throughout the weekend.

David Rosner & Dan Plachta: For serving as "Acting T.D." on Friday and Saturday evenings, respectively, when Matt and I were out to dinner.

Scott Thompson & Paul Simonsen: For assisting me early on Saturday morning, compiling Friday's results and computing everyone's win-loss record to determine who would be in the final 8. Also for filling in for Matt during Saturday morning check-in.

Matt Cicero: Our Vice President and Treasurer, as always, was in the thick of it from the start. He handled the pre-registrations and signed in the attendees, tracked the money, ran the Club store, and was our primary contact with the hotel.

Eric Morton: For once again bringing his entire game set to WCM and making it available to anyone who wanted to borrow items.

Again, thank you all.

I also want to take the opportunity to recognize our Club Officers. These guys work behind the scenes, providing their wisdom, vision and good advice, throughout the year:

Matt Cicero, VP & Treasurer; Eric Visnowski, Special Events Coordinator; Blair Bellamy, New Player Development; Sean Geraghty, Webmaster; and Rob Feinstein, Scott Thompson and Dave Nicholas our Regional Directors. Long-time Director Paul Simonsen, is now serving as 'Special Adviser to the President'.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who came and supported the event. By our best estimate, close to 200 games were played over the course of the weekend. We had a lot of laughs and a lot of fun. On a personal note, WCM is one of the highlights of my year, and I had a blast. It was great to see everyone and catch up with so many old friends.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jim Aikens

President, SoCalASL