West Coast Melee Feb. 27th-March 1st 2020 @ Ontario Gateway Hotel (Los Angeles area)

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
February 27, 2020 to March 1, 2020: West Coast Melee XXIII at the Ontario Gateway Hotel in Ontario

I am very pleased to report that we have secured a contract to return to the Ontario Gateway Hotel next year for West Coast Melee. Ontario Gateway is easily the best venue we've ever had, and we were fortunate to get it again this year before the hotel starts remodeling. I will be posting much more on this as we get closer. But for now, get it on your calendars!

Keep an eye on our website for details on all of these events.

--Jim Aikens

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The link to the West Coast Melee XXIII pre-reg flyer is up at socalasl.com, please click on the light blue link in the upper right. Pre-reg is due on Feb. 16th as well as hotel reservations at the discounted rate. Below is a summary based on the flyer and my past experience at the Melee:

On Thursday Feb. 27th, starting at 10am the game room will be open. This is the perfect time to get that large scenario in or a warm-up game or two. Last year a group of players set up a Valor of the Guards scenario to play the whole weekend.

Friday, starting at 9am, all players record their win-loss record in pick-up games, Tournament Director paired games, and in the three single-elimination Mini-Tournaments--all count for a chance to play in the Saturday Melee. Please show up for Minis pairing at 8:45am. Typically the Minis scenarios are posted at this time. Open ASL gaming for the rest!

Saturday: The top 8 players will play in the three-round Hand-to-Hand to become Melee champion—this consists of the three winners of the Friday minis and the 5 top scoring players from Friday’s games. Open ASL gaming for the rest!

Sunday: The game room closes in the afternoon.

Starter Kit players are welcome and “we will be matching up players, explaining rules and offering assistance.” This 7-0 Leaders Program begins on Friday morning at 9am.

The Ontario Gateway Hotel is at 2200 East Holt Blvd, Ontario California 91761 and the pre-reg flyer has a reservation link.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WCM XXIII is just over a month away...get those registrations sent in.

Semper Fi!
Scott

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking forward to it! My plan - arrive Friday early, and find someone to play a somewhat meaty (non-tourney) game.

Lots of good ones in mind. Any takers?

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking forward to it! My plan - arrive Friday early, and find someone to play a somewhat meaty (non-tourney) game.

Lots of good ones in mind. Any takers?
What do you have in mind, Don? Send me a PM and we can chat.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Hey, anyone looking to share a room ??? Thursday through Sunday?

PugRoyale

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the best way to pack my kit for this event? First timer. (Bring everything aka a U-Haul?)

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most folks seem to fit their gear in luggage rolling on wheels or perhaps some type of dolly/hand cart setup. I've seen some duffle bags and raacos. The long sides of the gaming room have an approximately 2-foot wide shelf/table along the wall which you can put planos and other stuff on. The rectangular playing tables are perpendicular to these. You can also stack your gear at the end of each playing table, on the end by the central aisle.

You'll want to bring your gear back to your room each night unless you have some type of multi-day scenario/campaign set up.

PugRoyale

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very useful stuff. Thanks!

In terms of what to bring though? My only prior ASL event was an open format where I had 10-15 scenarios picked out and brought the map, cards, and counters to play those.

Do I need to bring everything because the scenarios are unknown?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Very useful stuff. Thanks!

In terms of what to bring though? My only prior ASL event was an open format where I had 10-15 scenarios picked out and brought the map, cards, and counters to play those.

Do I need to bring everything because the scenarios are unknown?
It's hard to tell, but it looks as though it is formatted somewhat like ASLOK. Assuming it is, if you are in a mini-tournament you will be given a list of scenarios for each round. You and your opponent pick one. At ASLOK Bret has copies of the scenarios in case you don't. If you are not in a mini-tournament you and your opponent figure out something to play. It can be something you brought or your opponent brought or you borrowed. Again I am basing this off ASLOK and not this event. But that is one of the two "standard" formats (the other is where the tournament provides a list of scenarios for each round; Albany has that format).

I personally bring (nearly) everything I own to ASLOK or Winter Offensive. You can never tell if someone will want to play something out of Soldiers of the Negus or a cave scenario. Or perhaps a quick game of Flying Turrets between rounds.

JR

Last edited:

PugRoyale

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That makes sense. Not sure why I had it in my head that you could only play from the scenario list.

Cheers JR.

MrHonus

Honus
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WCM is an open format occasion. If you want to play in a mini, those scenarios are announced the morning of the minis, but free play is the rule (at least for me after I habitually lose the first round of the minis I enter). Bring what you feel comfortable with bringing. If a scenario comes along for which you don't have everything required, you will be able to borrow from others kit.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That makes sense. Not sure why I had it in my head that you could only play from the scenario list.

Cheers JR.
Hi JR;

Glad to have you joining us at WCM this year. As Honus pointed out, the tournament is organized for open play, so difficult to plan exactly what to bring.

Depending on your space available (drive or fly?), I would recommend your maps/overlays, information counters, Germans, Russians, Americans, and Britts...if you have more space/PP available, then look at adding your French and Japanese counters...if you want to go all in, then bring the remainder.

Many of the local players will bring their entire kit, so if you do not have something with you, chances are that your opponent will have it, or you can borrow from others. The guys are all generous with loaning out equipment as needed...the only collateral that I demand is one of your shoes...just one. ?:p:LOL:

Semper Fi!
Scott

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another great WCM is in the books. A good time had by all. Great games, great guys, great organizers and organization, attentive hotel staff, decent food, great service, clean rooms. BINGO!

PugRoyale

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who ended up winning? (We left before the final wrapped up)