Weirdest ASL experience

pdutram

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aside from meeting Psycho in person :p, what was your weirdest ASL experience?

Mine happened over the recent long holiday weekend. We were sitting a cat for some friends who went away for the weekend. Some time ago, a fellow ASLer had whupped my butt in "Rocket's Red Glare", he playing the Americans, me the Germans. Since the Germans tend to have a good chance of winning this one, I've taken this scenario out a few times and played it solitaire to refine my tactics. So far, the Americans had always won.

I had set it up again durring the weekend and had two turns left, the Americans appearing firmly in control of the situation, when I went to bed dog tired. Durring the night, the cat jumped onto the table and walked over the board, maybe even batting at some of the pieces. Next day I saw it and, not remembering at all where everything had been, decided to just play it out as it lay.

The Germans won! The cat was stretched out on the floor napping next to my chair. I looked down at it. It raised its head, gave me that haughty, superior, half-lidded smug look that cats have, then layed its head back down.

I was kinda glad to see that cat go home.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Cat must have been named Felix, black, like the SS he helped. Actually, I think you said it all in your first sentence.

The only thing that really stands out for me was at an early ASLOK watching Robbie Weissbart (sp?) doing the Hitler jig after rolling eyes to win a key ASL match. Didn't quite work well with Robbie's last name but who cares.

Mark Nixon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cat must have been named Felix, black, like the SS he helped. Actually, I think you said it all in your first sentence.

The only thing that really stands out for me was at an early ASLOK watching Robbie Weissbart (sp?) doing the Hitler jig after rolling eyes to win a key ASL match. Didn't quite work well with Robbie's last name but who cares.
Thinking that happened on Brookpark Road and Robbie (Warboy) had just defeated arch nemesis Mike McGrath. Warboy dancing through the game room overpowered even the 80mm Disco Drumbeats from the dancefloor below. That was a potent weird ASL experience.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember an armed Jeep blocking my Panther on a Pontoon Bridge. I couldn't believe that my Panther couldn't just crush it and drive across.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I went to this guys house in 1986 and he feed me hot dogs, baked beans and orange jello with bananas in it.

Orange jello with bananas in it

That was freaking weird man

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I went to this guys house in 1986 and he feed me hot dogs, baked beans and orange jello with bananas in it.

That was freaking weird man
Did you start seeing trails after you ate it?

A/CSM Bird

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One hot summer night in the early eighties a couple of buddies and I were playing SL and we decided to pick up a case of beer to quench out thirst due to the warm weather. We played through the late afternoon and into the evening and consumed our beer till it ran out. Well we needed more so more we got and this went on all night.:laugh:

"Hey we're out of beer!"

"Again!?"

"Go get some more while we set up for the next turn"

Eventually we were reduced to slobbering drunken SL playing idiots arguing LOS when we couldn't see and rules we couldn't read let alone understand. I remember trying to play PZ Blitz on acid:cool: once and giving up early on as we knew how ridiculous it would become. Beer and hot weather made fools of us that we didn't realize until it was very late.:nuts:

The next morning there were five cases of empties in the kitchen.:crosseye:

I remember something about T-34s and 88s and a hand drawn map with a railway line, as for the rest of it.... don't ask. It was weird....

bennerc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At the ASL Open in Chicago, I saw Larry Zoet and Mark DeVries in swim suits . . . at the same time . . . in the same hot tub . . .

Why did I remind myself of that experience?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Getting back into it via VASL and the ASLSKs after a long absence, and finding that I still had the 8 fire table memorized from 20 years previously.

And then reading on gamesquad that other guys also find the 8 fire table one of the easiest to memorize.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I actually won a game recently. Playing solo. :laugh:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Back in Intensive Fire in the 1990's....really REALLY going back some....
It used to be held down in Shrivenham on the site of the British Military School of Science, a fully operational military base.
A bunch of ASLer's got involved in a mass brawl with a number of student officers when they gatecrashed said officers party.
THAT was surreal with a capital SSSSSSSSSSSSS
Intensive Fire moved to Bournemouth after this !!

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you start seeing trails after you ate it?
Never played ASL on LSD but I have played other more simple games until of course everyone was far too gone to play anymore, something to do for an hour and a half until it really kicked in. Done plenty of video gaming while tweeking though. Some weird experiences there, but i cant remember a specifically weird ASL experience, ive never been to a convention and for the most part have always played at my place never traveled.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Warboy dancing through the game room overpowered even the 80mm Disco Drumbeats from the dancefloor below. That was a potent weird ASL experience.
Warboy :smoke: That is perhaps the greatest ASL nickname EVER.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One hot summer night in the early eighties a couple of buddies and I were playing SL and we decided to pick up a case of beer to quench out thirst due to the warm weather. We played through the late afternoon and into the evening and consumed our beer till it ran out. Well we needed more so more we got and this went on all night.:laugh:

"Hey we're out of beer!"

"Again!?"

"Go get some more while we set up for the next turn"

Eventually we were reduced to slobbering drunken SL playing idiots arguing LOS when we couldn't see and rules we couldn't read let alone understand. I remember trying to play PZ Blitz on acid:cool: once and giving up early on as we knew how ridiculous it would become. Beer and hot weather made fools of us that we didn't realize until it was very late.:nuts:

The next morning there were five cases of empties in the kitchen.:crosseye:

I remember something about T-34s and 88s and a hand drawn map with a railway line, as for the rest of it.... don't ask. It was weird....
We played Starship Troopers on acid once. We ended up throwing the pieces in the air to watch the tracers.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Warboy :smoke: That is perhaps the greatest ASL nickname EVER.
it's from SL :smoke:

I got a holiday card from Warboy which read ;

Peace on Earth

when you opened it read;

Until we meet
then it's
WAR! :laugh::laugh:

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like to think the weirdest is yet to come. Hopefully it doesn't involve an opponent in bondage gear.

Had an experience that I wouldn't want to repeat at a tournament in Toronto back in '99. It was impossible to find an affordable venue in the city. Just when it looked like we'd have to cancel the wife of one of the organizers secured some office space for us. It wasn't in a great area but it was economical, i.e., free. Since there was zero accommodation nearby, out-of-towners like myself camped on site. At first glance the game room looked great, with lots of tables and chairs. Then I realized that was it. Facilities were lacking. There was one washroom, consisting of one toilet and one sink. Oh oh. As well, after the first round when some of us ventured out for refreshment the neighborhood was looking decidedly sinister. There's nothing like a thriving drug trade to attract unusual people. Fortunately, the 7 -11 was within sprinting distance. I think it was then I chose to dispense with personal hygiene for the weekend. I was joined in that course of action by the rest of the tourney-goers. After a day and a half of hard-fought ASL the atmosphere was funky, to say the least. This had the unexpected benefit of limiting our interactions with the locals. By tournament's end they were giving our group a wide berth. Building maintenance probably had to air the place out for a month.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like to think the weirdest is yet to come. Hopefully it doesn't involve an opponent in bondage gear.

Had an experience that I wouldn't want to repeat at a tournament in Toronto back in '99. It was impossible to find an affordable venue in the city. Just when it looked like we'd have to cancel the wife of one of the organizers secured some office space for us. It wasn't in a great area but it was economical, i.e., free. Since there was zero accommodation nearby, out-of-towners like myself camped on site. At first glance the game room looked great, with lots of tables and chairs. Then I realized that was it. Facilities were lacking. There was one washroom, consisting of one toilet and one sink. Oh oh. As well, after the first round when some of us ventured out for refreshment the neighborhood was looking decidedly sinister. There's nothing like a thriving drug trade to attract unusual people. Fortunately, the 7 -11 was within sprinting distance. I think it was then I chose to dispense with personal hygiene for the weekend. I was joined in that course of action by the rest of the tourney-goers. After a day and a half of hard-fought ASL the atmosphere was funky, to say the least. This had the unexpected benefit of limiting our interactions with the locals. By tournament's end they were giving our group a wide berth. Building maintenance probably had to air the place out for a month.
Wierd? I think you just described SOP for an ASL tourney! :laugh:

JT

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think Kemfenfelter's story was getting on for fairly good for a weird story but certainly not outstanding. Rest of you are pathetic. Is this really the weirdest thing that has ever happened to an ASLer? Come on, let's hear something really juicy.

In any case, what is so weird about playing ASL in bondage gear?