Weird names?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed in some chat yesterday that players are commenting on seeing more "WoW'ish" character names appearing across all the servers. Maybe Turbines ad's are encouraging more WoW'ers to try out LotRO suddenly.

I took it from the discussion that those are "childish" or names irrelevant to the Lore/ particular setting. It's hard to say what they might be to each person although the, "I know it when I see it" quote seems to fit here. :clown:

I've seen a few in LotRO but all-in-all not like I saw when playing WoW. The usual's: "Dingdong," "Frito," "LoveMe" "Loneranger" etc. :(

The moderators do a good job of weeding out the "bad" ones, with some fast response times. A friend had his name of "Gandalfsfire" edited to "NewnameG" (I think) within 10 minutes of someone "complaining" about it. Seems anything close to copyrighted names in the game are edited.:bite:

Seeing Hobbit players with names like: "Fuzzyfeet, Minnow, or Acorn" seems to fit though. Tough call on what might bug some players, I guess if they irritate you enough you could just not interact with them.

Even names that try to include every letter in the alphabet like "Canuckistanian" can bug ya...:nuts:
:laugh:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I hate names like that. As a DM I would refuse to accept a character named Chickenstuff1227 in one of my campaigns. And I wish people wouldn't do it in MMO's either.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same thing in my world, no "silly/stupid" names.

Most DM's, including myself, put in hours upon hours making adventures, adding local flavor, creating long term antagonists, setting up campaigns, and world events that affected large areas (plagues / crop failures etc) which took effort & work.

I ran my world as a "real" place (based in LotR of course) and any player who wanted to treat it in game as a "joke" didn't stay. We had a lot of fun playing and joking around but were serious in-game. Just like a sports team- joke around & have fun on the sidelines but once you get in the game do your "job."

I capped my world at 20-25th lvl, which explains why it could take 1-2 years game-time per level. Really, if in-game you can gain 10+ levels a year where are all the 100th level people & 1000th lvl elves? A world would be up in flames & missing chunks.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I noticed in some chat yesterday that players are commenting on seeing more "WoW'ish" character names appearing across all the servers. Maybe Turbines ad's are encouraging more WoW'ers to try out LotRO suddenly.

I took it from the discussion that those are "childish" or names irrelevant to the Lore/ particular setting. It's hard to say what they might be to each person although the, "I know it when I see it" quote seems to fit here. :clown:

I've seen a few in LotRO but all-in-all not like I saw when playing WoW. The usual's: "Dingdong," "Frito," "LoveMe" "Loneranger" etc. :(

The moderators do a good job of weeding out the "bad" ones, with some fast response times. A friend had his name of "Gandalfsfire" edited to "NewnameG" (I think) within 10 minutes of someone "complaining" about it. Seems anything close to copyrighted names in the game are edited.:bite:

Seeing Hobbit players with names like: "Fuzzyfeet, Minnow, or Acorn" seems to fit though. Tough call on what might bug some players, I guess if they irritate you enough you could just not interact with them.

Even names that try to include every letter in the alphabet like "Canuckistanian" can bug ya...:nuts:
Not everyone can have a totally creative name like "Palantier" :p :rolleyes: