Webpage update: Bug hunt

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
As you can see the webpage is now updated. I believe I caught 99.9% of the bugs, but since every single webpage on the whole server was updated it's possible a few things were missed. If you find anything wrong please post it here and I'll get to it as soon as I can.

I'm already aware that the TOAW OOB section is not fully updated. That section doesn't get too many visitors and I'm updating it last.

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Major bug

News text isn't visible in Opera 6.03. I had to cut/paste to a seperate program to see it.

If there's a way to get to anything other than the news page from the front page, or the newspage to anywhere else on the site Opera isn't showing it either. I don't have O7 on this PC yet. I'll try again when I do.

Java/etc was enabled. No proxy was running.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The problem definately isn't with Microsoft IE. I've tested this setup with several different machines running different versions of IE and they all work fine. It should work with Netscape as well, although it may not look as nice.

The new navigation setup does use Javascript, but I don't believe that is your problem. Both the navigation scheme at the top and the news are placed into the page using "virtual includes." This is a very common way to format large webpages. The news page has always used this so nothing has been changed there except some minor cosmetic improvements. I don't understand why you would have a problem with the news page now if you were not having problems before.

The items on the news page are formatted using CSS sheets. Netscape had a problem with these for a long time, but the latest versions of Netscape seem to finally be compatible. That's good because about 30% of the whole internet is formatted using CSS sheets. I don't know anything about Opera. This is an independant browser?

Let me research this some more.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Originally posted by Don Maddox
I don't know anything about Opera. This is an independant browser?
Opera is a commercial, fast and clean browser that can do almost everything except DHTML. The navigation menue is DHTML so it won't work on Opera.
A good alternative to Opera is Mozilla or Phoenix (just the Mozilla webbrowser without the email /newsreader whatsoever stuff)

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Don Maddox
The problem definately isn't with Microsoft IE. I've tested this setup with several different machines running different versions of IE and they all work fine. It should work with Netscape as well, although it may not look as nice.
I suppose I should've been clearer. In my 1st post I said that if there was any way to go from the news page to anywhere else on the website that I couldn't find it with Opera. What I meant with my second post was that having used IE to find where the links were supposed to be, that they weren't working under Opera.
The new navigation setup does use Javascript, but I don't believe that is your problem. Both the navigation scheme at the top and the news are placed into the page using "virtual includes." This is a very common way to format large webpages. The news page has always used this so nothing has been changed there except some minor cosmetic improvements. I don't understand why you would have a problem with the news page now if you were not having problems before.
Most of my recent accesses have been with my computer, and not my parents. I've had the O7 beta running on my machine for some time now, the news might be a case of something that worked on 7 but not 6. I'm downloading the O7beta to this PC now and will report if anything changes when I do.
I don't know anything about Opera. This is an independant browser?
yeah, there's a free version with a banner running in the upper right corner of the interface, or you can buy an adless version for ~$40. www.opera.com 6.05 is the latest stable version, and a beta of v7 is available to test. I haven't seen any problems with O7 so far. It's faster than o6, adds support for dom(?), and better at interperting malformed html. The most visible change for me is that it starts rendering a page as it downloads instead of waiting for almost everuthing to arrive before displaying it.

Headshot

Reaction score
when i post i get a funnt large zoom in on a check icon that suddenly dissapears. The icon fills a good third of my screen. It has never happened before

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Headshot
when i post i get a funnt large zoom in on a check icon that suddenly dissapears. The icon fills a good third of my screen. It has never happened before
On the forum????

The forum isn't in any way connected to the main Warfare HQ webpage. Nothing has been changed on the forum at all. If you're suddenly having problems with the forum then it doesn't have anything to do with the update to the main website.

Headshot

Reaction score
oh boy. Because over the last 2 days the forum has performed worse and worse. Now i get zooming and glitching constantly

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Headshot
oh boy. Because over the last 2 days the forum has performed worse and worse. Now i get zooming and glitching constantly
I have no explanation for that. Is anyone else having problems with it?