Weapons we like to see in ASL

Zajuts149

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
What weapons of WWII(or Korea) is not yet made in ASL form? On the top of my head, I would love to see the KGrW42, the 8cm Kurzer Granatenwerfer 42, https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurzer_8-cm-Granatwerfer_42
It was intended for Fallschirmjäger, but were used as a company mortar in other light infantry units after the withdrawal of the 50mm GrW36.
It had about 1/2 the range of the 8cm GrW 34, and weighed a lot less. It would be represented by 5/8" counter with 2-27(?) Hex range, M# of 12, and be dismantled into a 1/2" counter that weighs 3pp.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Interestingly, I have never heard much about this one.

Does anyone have an idea in which numbers it was produced?

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That is not many.

Probably, the reason why it never saw large number was its short range (around 1km I think). This was more than the GrW36 (i.e. the 50mm variant) but roughly half of the U.S. 60mm M2 mortar.

I find it somewhat surprising that the Germans did not field something comparable to the M2 in significant numbers.

von Marwitz

Zajuts149

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Yes, I have never seen anything about German use of the French Brandt 60mm mortar. Even if it had short range, it was not meant to be used as a battalion lvl mortar, but at company level. This is a mortar that could be moved quickly, and AFAIK, there would be 2-3 per company. The production numbers weren't high, but it is definitely not the rarest piece of ordnance.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Russians get their IS-3 so I would really like American T29 series for variants.

I don’t like the Pershing. It’s not really superb in any area and the low mobility makes it uninteresting. With the way the Army was planning, it is easy to have them take the Heavy Tank route in any possible variant.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The M1919A6 was a rather poor excuse for a LMG. Overly heavy it was probably best employed with a crew as being air-cooled it tended to overheat rapidly and definitely needed a spare barrel and ammo handler to be even remotely effective. Though rated at 400-550 rpm (rounds per minute) ROF a more realistic usage would be 250-300 rpm for accurate sight picture as it tended to jump around when fired from a bipod position. Also, because the barrel tended to heat rapidly being air-cooled (especially after some of them had been retooled to accept the 7.62mm standard NATO rounds), it necessarily had to be fired from only the prone position and the gunner should have always been provided with a heat mitten to keep the barrel rise down. It certainly could put out a stream of .30-06 cal. rounds (as initially designed and used in Korea) if necessary but was more feared for its noise and tracers than actual accuracy.

Zajuts149

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
The M1919A6 was a rather poor excuse for a LMG. Overly heavy it was probably best employed with a crew as being air-cooled it tended to overheat rapidly and definitely needed a spare barrel and ammo handler to be even remotely effective. Though rated at 400-550 rpm (rounds per minute) ROF a more realistic usage would be 250-300 rpm for accurate sight picture as it tended to jump around when fired from a bipod position. Also, because the barrel tended to heat rapidly being air-cooled (especially after some of them had been retooled to accept the 7.62mm standard NATO rounds), it necessarily had to be fired from only the prone position and the gunner should have always been provided with a heat mitten to keep the barrel rise down. It certainly could put out a stream of .30-06 cal. rounds (as initially designed and used in Korea) if necessary but was more feared for its noise and tracers than actual accuracy.
At least with Forgotten War, it is possible to use this one, and it was in use from the Autumn of 1944. I have no idea in what numbers, though, and if there where field kits to convert already existing M1919A4s.

Another rare one would be The Vickers K LMG variant. A British 3-6(?) LMG would be cool to have.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The M1919A6 was Ordnance's attempt to give the American Army a more portable MG, since in their words "It would
be sometime before a satisfactory model would be available." In other words, this is what you're getting.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The M1919A6 was Ordnance's attempt to give the American Army a more portable MG, since in their words "It would
be sometime before a satisfactory model would be available." In other words, this is what you're getting.
Yup, "The Pig" (M60 MG) was in development during WW-II and slightly after the Korean War using the basics of the FG & MG-42 as a model along with the U.S. Johnson LMG as a replacement for the M1919A6. It would fire the 7.62mm standard NATO round and would be simplified in design somewhat to offer greater ruggedness and less attached paraphernalia associated with the MG-42 system. It was finally adopted as the standard U.S. LMG in 1957 with minor modifications made to it thereafter.

As an aside: While in Iraq 2004-05 we secured quite an arsenal of captured M1919s & M1919A6s along with an MG-42/44 (swastika stamp still on it). Unfortunately, because of current regulations, we were unable to send any of these home as trophies even if we had them de-milled. I ended up giving them to the SF detachment I was augmented to as perhaps they could have gotten at least the MG-42 back to the states.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Syrian Rebels found 5,000 STG-44s in a government armory in 2012. They are still being used in the civil war there, but less frequently now.

Sturmgewehr 44: Meet The Nazi Assault Rifle Being Used in the Syrian Civil War | The National Interest
While in Iraq 2004-2007 (two different tours) we confiscated several PPSh's on raids and on Thursdays we'd take out different weapons to our little range on the FOB and fire them. Lots of fun plus we'd have a BBQ afterwards. Never got to fire StGw-44 but we have one on display in my VFW.

Brave Lion

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would love to see the German X-7 Rotkappchen "Red Riding Hood" ATGM. It was used in the closing months of the war on the Eastern Front in very limited numbers. Only a few hundred were built, so it would be very rare. However, it is probably the world's first operational Anti-Tank Guided Missile and it would be nice to have the early ATGM rules in the game. It was wire-guided and manually controlled. The warhead was the same as the panzerfaust. It was effective out to 3000 meters (75 hexes) but was best used in the 500 - 1000 meter (12 - 25 hexes) range.
27194 27195