Waterloo vs Wagram

JohnS3

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am enjoying playing the Tiller Napoleonics in the same manner that I played and learned from board games beginning some 50 years ago - you play one side then you turn the board around and play the other side. I say that only to emphasize that this question does not come out of the "sour grapes" that are sometimes associated with having lost a game to someone else.

I played the main Wagram scenario for many weeks - moving the 11 or so divisions on each side over about 25 turns so far. As a change of pace, a few days ago I switched over for a while to Waterloo and am now playing the Quatre Bras scenario - roughly 3 divisions on each side and thus much faster moving. After 11 Turns, I have to ask this, and I am just curious - as far as you guys know, are the fire tables and disruption calculations and similar "hidden" game related devices the same for both games? It just seems to me that in QB the fire effects of infantry in line (not just the British, the French and others too) seem to cause a much higher casualty level. Further, QB "feels" as if relatively high level troops - "A" and "B" - are quicker to disrupt and harder to get out of disruption than is true in Wagram. Is this just my imagination or is your sense or understanding that different fire tables and similar values are used in the two games?

One other quick question that I should know the answer to - all other things being equal (morale, leadership etc.) is it harder to un-disrupt a unit in non - clear hexes? Going back to when Waterloo first came out in the mid 90's, my recollection (perhaps faulty) is that it used to be harder but I wondered if that is the case at present.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Disorder recovery has nothing to do with terrain. It has to do with the results of the command test and whether the unit and its commander are in command control range. The check starts with the Army commander. If he passes then he hands down his bonus to the next leader. And so on down the chain of command. So if all of the superior officers in an army pass their command test then the unit could be adding something like +4 to the die roll. It needs a "1" to pass so you get the idea. The more leaders you can get to pass the bonus down the better.

Leaders that do not pass their command test roll have a different color command rating.

The fire charts ARE different from Wagram to Waterloo. I cannot cite every example but Eckmuhl uses the same values too. EC was my first game with WC coming after it and they both are similar.