Was the 30th Infantry Division the best American division of WW2?

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My son is in the 30th brigade, the successor to the 30th Infantry Division - and they still wear the patch on their shoulder that reads "Roosevelt's SS" on it on their uniforms.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Wow... These are wartime patches.

Would be interesting to see the (inofficial) patch from your son...

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
GJ: Have you watched "The Liberator" on Netflix about the 45th?

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bet, that in any army at least half a dozen units will make the claim to be the best one of the whole damn zoo.

I also think that in no case there is a definite answer.

von Marwitz
One of my take aways from 'Brothers was how perishable "best" status can be when you lose/shift key leaders, ect. It's a moving target. The immediate question about best unit is when?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m going with the ‘Old Bastards’ 77th Marine Division.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've heard of the U.S. Army's 77th Division, however I'm not aware of there ever having been a '77th Division' being a part of the USMC.
The marines bestowed the 77th as a ‘marine’ division, extremely rare and high praise.

The 77th was made up of old dudes, hence the unofficial moniker ‘Old Bastards’, average age +10 years above standard divisions, an experiment. Turned out to be an extremely sneaky/wise/adaptive/efficient/motivated and indeed treacherous division. Made up of 30-55 year olds they outperformed every operation.

In training, the Army cruelly had left them to freeze for months in some mountains than sent them to the scorching desert (some died) for more months of experiments, like see how long you can go marching in the hot sun on a liter of water before passing out. They kind of ‘self’ squared themselves away, weeding out people not with the program and using their plentiful extra years of combined experience to overcome obstacles.

Last edited: