{Warning-This is just another "hi i'm new" boring thread, you have been warned}

Trigger Happy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wanted to say hi to the TacOps community here
Even though I got the game a little while back, I just started really playing it since holidays and needless to say that I really enjoy it. I'll be wanting a pbem game soon that's for sure!

But before i'll serve you as cannon fodder, you certainly need to know that I'm a WWII wargamer first and foremost so I'm just as ignorant as any WWII gamer can be concerning modern military doctrine, tactics et al, so I wondered if some of you guys could guide me to some USArmy Field manuals or any other relevent piece of information that could be useful to play TacOps.
I read parts of FM-90-2 (THE TANK AND MECHANIZED INFANTRY
BATTALION TASK FORCE) and the manual a couple of times and found some interesting and clever information, but any others more in depth? thx

PS To MajorH: I heard at the BF forum (or was it here) that you planned a WWII themed TacOps-engined game; Well I just wanted to tell you that it has not fallen into deaf ears... Don't worry though, I won't bug you on that anymore :)

See you guys on the battlefields
Yours Truly,

The Almighty Trigger Happy

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trigger Happy said:
I'm a WWII wargamer first and foremost so I'm just as ignorant as any WWII gamer can be concerning modern military doctrine, tactics et al
Take a look at ...

http://schlepper.hanse.de/redwolf/tacops-for-cmplayers.html

Martin Cracauer has written a lengthy article that is intended to acclimate WWII buffs and Combat Mission vets to TacOps4.

TacOps 4 for Combat Mission gamers - Review and Tactics
Part one - General description of TacOps (vs WWII/Combat Mission)
Part two - "Flaming Flaherty" - a player AAR of a multiplayer battle
Part three - "Modern units for WW2 buffs" - a guide to modern equipment for WW2 enthusiasts

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Welcome aboard Trigger!!! :D

When you feel like playing a PBEM game give me a shout, i'll happily have a game with you ;)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the important things to keep in mind when playing TacOps with a WW2 mind:

1) artillery is very efficient. Never underestimate this. Human opponents are very dangerous if they are good with artillery

2) pretty much everything can kill everything else if you get close enough

3) everything is very deadly. If you can theoretically be killed the chance that you actually get killed is much higher than in WW2 games

Point 3 and partly point 2 are caused both by modern equipment being more capable and mobile and by TacOps always modeling high effectivity units (whereas most WW2 games model different unit qualities and scenario designers tend to use low or medium quality units).

Another minor point is helicopters. Helicopters are very capable as long as they are alife. Developing high skills with them (or against them) has a high payoff. This is particulary true in scenarios that allow ammo reload.

India 51B

Reaction score
Country
ll
switch_back said:
Welcome aboard Trigger!!! :D

When you feel like playing a PBEM game give me a shout, i'll happily have a game with you ;)
Hi switch_back, if you have a spare slot in your PBEM calendar, my Combat Mission and Tac Ops PBEM's have thinned out a bit now, so if you want another opponent how about a game? Drop me an email if you're interested mate :)