Warhammer 40,000

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, this great war game. Who here has played it? What side do you fight for? Which of you don't know what I'm talking about? I play Space Marines and Imperial Gaurd. Bonus points to whoever recognizes my name.

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Space Marines.....Epic Scale!

I bought Space Marines 8 years ago.....Epic Scale...as I could get more troops on my budget. Now they sit up in the closet in the box.....cuz I don't have anyone to play with.

We live out in the country and I don't have ANYONE near me to play except the boys....and paintballing is more important.

I had Space Marines, Squats, Eldar, and Orcs. The Squats were my favorite.....but the Orcs were more fun to paint.

dog

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He he. Squats. Those guys have been killed off by a 'nid invasion, and now if you mention them on the 40K board, you'll be banned.

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, Don't that just beat all!!!

It figures....whenever I like something somebody takes it away from me.....In that case, my new favorites are Boar Boyz!!! :thumb:

dog

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I went with Imperial Guard myself when I played, but stuck with all-infantry since I didn't want to get too deep into it.

Thomas Sean

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FOR THE EMPEROR

I play as the Imperial Guard although I play more like the Tau than an average hold the line guard player. My army is full of cheap VDR transports (3 duce&ahalfs, MH-60, and CG-4a) that aid me in my battle of maneuver.

Minotaur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Space Hulk

I hope I'm not too much behind... ;)

It's far easier to introduce newbies when there are corridors & squares... I played Space Hulk with few peoples, but found nobody interested in Warhammer 40K...

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Larkin
He he. Squats. Those guys have been killed off by a 'nid invasion, and now if you mention them on the 40K board, you'll be banned.
What? really? no wonder they are all out of print. I had 3 squads of squats and a trike w/multi melta and a squad of officers in exo-armor.

I have a huge, HUGE squat Epic army. it has 2 leviathans, a cyclops, 2 colossuses, a massive 8 car land train, and 2 of those armored airships (i forget the name right now...) and a crap load of infantry...it was my preferred epic army back in the day.

I have recently pulled out all my Space Marine/Titan Legions stuff since i built my 4'x8' gaming table last fall.

I had the first Space Marine, Adeptus Titanicus, Second SPace Marine, Tital Legions and many many of those boxes of infantry/light tanks in plastic.

I still think Epic is a great game....everybody likes the Emperator Titan!

I stopped playing in early '95....so I never played with the new titans that came out in '95 and '96.....then 8 years passed and i finally had a place with space for the table again...viola! I'm gaming again!

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, this great war game. Who here has played it? What side do you fight for? Which of you don't know what I'm talking about? I play Space Marines and Imperial Gaurd. Bonus points to whoever recognizes my name.
Master Sniper "Mad" Larkin from the Imperial Guard.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Warhammer 40,000

Originally posted by Fenrir
I strongly dislike you... Not just the "Guard" these are the Tanith/Vervunhiver Ghosts MAN! They don't die by droves like everyone else. (Probably Gaunt's command here)
My favorite is Mkoll. (Kinda like Dick Winters, extraordinary yet very very modest...)

Space Wolves AWOOOO!!!! I battle to the "Immigrant Song" by Led Zepplin.

Imperial Guard modeled off of Sven Hassel's books. The 27th Germanian Panzer Regiment (Penal) will triumph!

My dad plays Tau(Whom the 27th has joined with long enough to get back to Imperial Space, they do that sorta thing in the books all the time.)
One friend plays Orks
Another Nids. (DOWN WITH THE NIDS!!!!I just need some RAID!)

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Warhammer 40,000

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
I strongly dislike you... Not just the "Guard" these are the Tanith/Vervunhiver Ghosts MAN! They don't die by droves like everyone else. (Probably Gaunt's command here)
My favorite is Mkoll. (Kinda like Dick Winters, extraordinary yet very very modest...)

Space Wolves AWOOOO!!!! I battle to the "Immigrant Song" by Led Zepplin.

Imperial Guard modeled off of Sven Hassel's books. The 27th Germanian Panzer Regiment (Penal) will triumph!

My dad plays Tau(Whom the 27th has joined with long enough to get back to Imperial Space, they do that sorta thing in the books all the time.)
One friend plays Orks
Another Nids. (DOWN WITH THE NIDS!!!!I just need some RAID!)
I've never played with Necrids, or the Tau. The first Tyranid army rules came out just before WH40K 2nd Ed came out. I still play old school 1st Ed. rules using the Vehicle Guide and revised combat rules from the Battle Manual.

I made a fairly large tyranid army (about 8,000 pts) with about 40 genestealers from an older genestealer army.

My WH40K armies are always huge because I dont use miniatures (way way way too expensive) I make pieces on cardboard or cardstock like you would use in a hex based board wargame....of course, I do take great care in painting them so they are still very bright and colorful and interesting to look at. Each piece has the logo of its unit or army (like space wolves wouls have the wolf's head) and I make much more complex designs for higher ranking or more expensive pieces.

unfortunately, nobody really likes to play a 3D game with 2D pieces....so I do a lot of solo play.

Making pieces instead of buying miniatures does allow me to build fantasticly huge armies, though. I have a massive Imperial guard regiment with 13 platoons, 2 baneblades, 2 predators, 2 whirlwinds, 6 sentinels, 4 tarantulas, 4 rapiers, 4 maniples of 4 robots each, 20 rough riders, and 12 rhinos. Once again, i can only do this because the actual cost of the army was about $5. but it did take me 40 or 50 hours of work to design, draw and paint the whole horde.

I use 3D scenery, though. the battles dont looks right if the buildings and hills aren't 3D.

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Warhammer 40,000

Originally posted by Fenrir
Correct! Do you by any chance read the series?

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: FOR THE EMPEROR

Originally posted by Thomas, Sean
I play as the Imperial Guard although I play more like the Tau than an average hold the line guard player. My army is full of cheap VDR transports (3 duce&ahalfs, MH-60, and CG-4a) that aid me in my battle of maneuver.
I would like to see this army! Do you have a website with pictures?

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
Although we are both men of the Emperor, why do you dislike me? Is it because of the tactics employed by Colonel-Commissar Gaunt, who values the men under his command, and uses them to the best of their abilities?

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play primarily Chaos Space Marines (Iron Warriors, because artillery is fun, about 3000 points). I also have a small number of Orks (1000 points if I'm lucky), and a rather large Imperial Guard Armored Company (2000 points or so).

I managed to get my father into the game, and he has 3 or 4 companies worth of Dark Angels - he has at least the entire Deathwing (1st company), a battle company, and the entire ravenwing.

We sort of have my mother playing too, she plays Eldar, and is thinking about playing the new Sisters of Battle rules that came out.

However since I went off to college years ago the amount of play time I've had has dwindled, we used to go to Gamesday every year.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Correct! Do you by any chance read the series?
i read some other WH40K books...I was familiar with the name from looking at the books in the store.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Warhammer 40,000

Although we are both men of the Emperor, why do you dislike me? Is it because of the tactics employed by Colonel-Commissar Gaunt, who values the men under his command, and uses them to the best of their abilities?
Exactly, they aren't Guard they are the GHOSTS.....

Those boys are go-getters, I swear their motto should be "Those who dare-win..." it is them.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd say there is an article somewhere here... Sun Tzu style like:

Ex.

1.) 20 Termagaunts in front of you is worth the 1 Lictor in the bush-Ambush- A classic maneuver used on the real battlefield as well as the 40k table....