Wargame Red Dragon

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice picture of the K1s. On another forum people were talking about how much slower the gameplay is this time around. They can't tell if the units had their speed reduced or the maps are larger. How did they feel to you?

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice picture of the K1s. On another forum people were talking about how much slower the gameplay is this time around. They can't tell if the units had their speed reduced or the maps are larger. How did they feel to you?
Being time restrained, I've just played one map. To me, it was a bigger map; cz's were bigger and there were at least 10 or 12. This was a 2v2 match so the map was probably made for 3v3 or 4v4. I'll be able to get in more time in a day or 2.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice screenshots! I like the new color palette for that map with the SK tanks. Looks suitably sunny.

Keep the impressions coming. Looks like this is another real beta from what you are saying. I guess a March release probably isn't likely at this point.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another gameplay video by someone I prefer to watch (also their English accent goes a long way in making it quite enjoyable :D):

[video=youtube;sdamJT-crlY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdamJT-crlY[/video]

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Couple more maps in. Yeah, as the game stands now; no naval, gameplay slows down after the initial rush. Once CZ's are captured, teams dig in and wait. On a conquest map, the new units made it almost impossible to advance. AA coverage is brutal if they get set up. Still fleshing out decks, a lot of units to look at and use. Some new Heli's have AA missiles, making your Heli rush dangerous if you run into them. I lost 4 Heli's loaded with troops on an opening rush. So, overall; there is a new learning curve but most everything else is similar to ALB. Screenies to come, I get so wrapped up I forget to take them! You can view the naval units, they are in the decks.

Last edited:

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recon, recon; recon, if you don't have it your gonna die...a lot. Here, a Sov BRDM-3 spots a enemy chopper trying to make an end around. I'm seeing a lot of artillery once the dust settles and the sides dig in. Hopefully, final release gets it right.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Super M-60 gets lit up. An update is out. Two new maps and SP is added. So that's nice, where you can now make decks and test them before using them in MP. Still a lot of work to be done, but I think it helps where the community is finding stuff and reporting it to be fixed. So far I'm happily rolling along blowing up things knowing the game will improve.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here we have a map rated 1v1. You can see it's larger than some ALB maps. Also a stunned Abrams facing the wrong way. I played with my Polish deck, named Hamtramck on this map. Glad I brought Kommandosi in Heli's.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The game was released today?!?

[video=youtube_share;lw3az0LsKc0]http://youtu.be/lw3az0LsKc0[/video]

It makes me a bit nervous that this was so quietly slipped out the back door. What is your opinion on the state of the game, GE?

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The game was released today?!?

[video=youtube_share;lw3az0LsKc0]http://youtu.be/lw3az0LsKc0[/video]

It makes me a bit nervous that this was so quietly slipped out the back door. What is your opinion on the state of the game, GE?
Woa... that was pretty sneaky.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The April 17 date has been out there for a while and they have been updating the beta adding more content every couple of weeks. Ok, trailer- kinda misleading as you can't play in that 3rd person view cuz you'll lose quickly; but it sure looks pretty. Gameplay. 1- I like the ground combat, it's the same as ALB; but strategies have changed because of new units. AA Helos for one. 2. Naval, jury's out; SP hasn't had it yet (I haven't played yesterdays update) Early MP posts have been negative as to it being unbalanced. I did one MP battle, didn't do good; but I think that's because I spent points on ground units at the start and never could build naval. To me, the scale for naval feels wrong, it seems to be like tanks on water; the ships should be farther apart. Still had bugs as we went along, esp. crash to desktop in SP. But, overall, I like it. If you liked ALB, you'll like it. I like the deck building aspect and trying them in SP. New nations; new units. The maps are bigger. I think once they get everything patched it will be a solid game, so if you don't have it; I would wait for the first sale. When I play more, I'll have a better handle on naval and the game itself.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback! Like you suggest, I am going to wait this time until a few patches have arrives or the first sale. WALB didn't really get good for me until it was out for a few months, so waiting for a sale sounds right to me.

Keep the impressions coming.

BTW: your concerns about the naval vessels have me worried. I always thought there was a risk of going a bridge too far by including them. The micro alone concerns me as just handling planes and infantry was more than enough!

BTW: have you tried the time compression feature yet?

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Haven't tried compression yet. First SP naval battle, F/A-18 Super hornets scored many hits; AI didn't have or use air cover. Supply is key, ran out of supply ships and missile ships use up inventory in a hurry. Shown are a strictly naval map and a Perry class in action.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some more Naval action. On just naval maps, the AI does ok; buys ships and attacks. On mixed maps however, it concentrates on ground units only buying a CV ship and a couple more for the water CZ. This lets you grab that CZ easily and then land invade at the enemy's rear. I've been playing SP to learn the maps and units more than MP. As been said by others also, sometimes you just don't want to put up with the online stuff. Case in point, started a 4v4 match. During set up, a ally dropped; then another and then the last, leaving me alone. Opfor asked if I was leaving, I said the hell with it; I'll stay and played 1v4. Needless to say I lost, but not before inflicting some damage. Their still patching, another came out today. Also, I started the first campaign; played a couple of turns and like it more than ALB. Attached is a Redfor Jianghu-III frigate about to go down as the harpoons streak toward it.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your description of MP is one of the reasons why I stopped playing MP. I was tired of watching my team melt away as soon as we would fall behind a little. Like you, I was often in a game where it went from 10 on my team to 2. Eugen really needs to enable hot drop-ins.

Thanks for the update! Gonna wait a bit yet before buying this. When the first sale is announced is probably going to be the ideal time since it seems the AI still needs work based on what you wrote.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey GE, I was reading this review and it had this to say:

Again, the only downside is the lack of variety In the units – BluFor and Redfor factions seem to have access to the same pool ship types and names, so there’s no national flavour to them that I’ve seen so far, a minor thing, but again since part of the game allows you to theme your decks as such, seems a bit silly not to extend that to the naval part of the game.
Is it true that they are just generic ships? That would be a shame.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good review, I agree with everything he says. Yes, the ships are the same across the board. You set up naval and most of the choices are generic. There might be a few small differences, but not enough to notice. I don't know if they fleshed out the new nations ground units first, and naval will be updated in a DLC. I hope so. One of the gripes online is that in a game lobby, players can look at your complete profile, stats; wins-losses etc. They see a noob and either quit or the host boots him cuz they don't want to play with them. Just play the game, too many picky players. Overall tho, I'm happy with it. It keeps me entertained blowing things up.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally! Wargame is back again with a third free DLC for the million-selling franchise's third installment, Wargame Red Dragon. In this new expansion for the spectacular real-time strategy game from Eugen Systems, which will patch automatically into the game when it releases later today, no less than 60 new units make their way to the battlefield!

Dedicated to the Scandinavian coalition, it features more than 60 new units for Sweden, Denmark & Norway. Effectively propelling this coalition as well as the individual countries into the early 90's era, it will bring them onto an equal footing with the other nations from Wargame: Red Dragon. Every type of unit is represented (planes, infantry, tanks, IFVs.) including some iconic and long-expected "Northern" units: the Saab Gripen, Frømandskorpset, NASAMS... And as a bonus, ANZAC will also get an extra unit, in the form of the Vickers Mk.11.

And there's more good news: Wargame is the Midweek deal on Steam! From tonight until Friday, February 13, you can buy Wargame Red Dragon, AirLand Battle, European Escalation or the Wargame Franchise Pack which includes all Wargame games, at an amazing 75% discount!

And that's probably it for this game with Act of Aggression coming out.

zalan.reilly

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAlgeria
Interesting that Scott has been playing Wargame Airland Battle as the next game in the series has been announced. Wargame Red Dragon takes us to central Asia between 1975 to 1991 with 5 new nations, among which are reverse image search email checker port checker China and North Korea. We now will have naval shipyards to complete construction of the first frigates, corvettes and other cruisers for the maritime and river areas that will provide fresh strategic opportunities! The full cohort of each army is therefore represented with a phenomenal total of more than 1,300 units and combat vehicles, all reproduced in meticulous detail from real military hardware. A new solo campaign plunges players headlong into a hellish war around Korea, while Wargame's extensive, road-tested multiplayer mode will engage them in some intense and spectacular battles with up to 20 other players simultaneously!
View attachment 43725
I am assuming that their lack of work on formations mean infantry are still blobbing across the battlefield.

Last edited: