Wargame Red Dragon

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting that Scott has been playing Wargame Airland Battle as the next game in the series has been announced. Wargame Red Dragon takes us to central Asia between 1975 to 1991 with 5 new nations, among which are China and North Korea. We now will have naval shipyards to complete construction of the first frigates, corvettes and other cruisers for the maritime and river areas that will provide fresh strategic opportunities! The full cohort of each army is therefore represented with a phenomenal total of more than 1,300 units and combat vehicles, all reproduced in meticulous detail from real military hardware. A new solo campaign plunges players headlong into a hellish war around Korea, while Wargame's extensive, road-tested multiplayer mode will engage them in some intense and spectacular battles with up to 20 other players simultaneously!
View attachment 43725

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting that Scott has been playing Wargame Airland Battle as the next game in the series has been announced.
That's what they were waiting for. :D

But seriously, word of Red Dragon was announced back in October, but not much news since then.

Wargame Red Dragon takes us to central Asia between 1975 to 1991 with 5 new nations, among which are China and North Korea.
I am a bit annoyed by this. I would rather have had them stay with WWIII in Europe rather moving to a completely different theater (I hope OTS doesn't make this mistake with Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm. I know there is a lot of pressure for WWII or Vietnam.). In fact, I think I would rather have a series of campaign packs that add new maps/units around Europe than have them focus on a new stand alone game. To be fair to Eugen, they said that they were forced to launch a new game because the new gameplay mechanics they wanted to incorporate into the game would have taken far too much work to patch in then to just write a whole new game.

We now will have naval shipyards to complete construction of the first frigates, corvettes and other cruisers for the maritime and river areas that will provide fresh strategic opportunities!
This concerns me. Wargame is already a frenetic clickfest at times. I am scared to think of the complexities that naval warfare might bring. Eugen has said only *some maps* will have naval units, so maybe they are aware of the dangers of overloading the player. I don't want Wargame to turn into Supreme Commander!

A new solo campaign plunges players headlong into a hellish war around Korea....
There are actually going to be 12 campaigns!

Red Dragon will feature a dozen solo campaigns. They will be distributed over the timeframe and sides to give the players the opportunity to experiment a wide array of situations, armies and equipment.

Unlike AirLand Battle, which has a single strategic map over which different battlegroups and scenarios were set, each of Red Dragon's campaigns will have its own strategic map. Size, lenght [SIC] and number of battlegroups involved will also vary greatly depending on the campaign.

Some campaigns will be individual scenarios, while some will be linked together into an operation of larger scale.
Looks like Eugen is still trying to get the campaign system right. :) I remain a bit disappointed by the ALB campaign as it seems like an afterthought to me and not the immersive campaign we all hoped it would be. Guess that is why I stick with custom sandbox games.

Other good stuff:

The AI will be able to use player-created decks. At last! I hate not being able to give the AI one of my decks so I can play against it and see how it performs.

Just cosmetic, but jets will now have flares!

View attachment 43728

Lastly, the replay function will now have a rewind. This was added for the e-sports angle, but I am glad as it will make creating AARs easier! :)

There is one thing I really want to see: the ability to pause and give orders. It is a real shame Eugen hasn't seen fit to include this yet as I think it would not only make the game more accessible to people who have trouble playing RTS games, but I think it would also make the game itself flower is a whole new way. Such a missed golden opportunity....

I also would like to see formations for vehicles. It is so silly we have a formations tab, but all we can do is "spread out" or "split/rejoin". :rolleyes:

The launch window is March 2014, but Eugen has said they their record for meeting initial windows is not good (ALB was scheduled for March but slipped to May). :D So, it's done when it is done. Seeing how we don't even have a vid of gameplay yet, nor even any screenshots of naval vessels in action, I don't think three months is likely for a launch - unless Eugen joins the "smash and grab" club of releasing broken and incomplete games. If we lose the French, we lose everything....:OHNO:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow! I figured they'd add naval combat into a Scandinavian add-on or something. But it's nice seeing Asia getting a lot of love. And what weirder timing considering China's recent... activities lol!

Also, took me a bit to get that pun before the screenshot lol, nice.

But I'm surprised they still haven't gotten formations buttoned down yet. That's really sloppy imho.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But I'm surprised they still haven't gotten formations buttoned down yet. That's really sloppy imho.
I agree. One of the things I find so frustrating about Wargame: ALB is that is a 9.0 game being held back to a 8.0 by a bunch of minor - really minor and fixable - oversights. Such as no formations, no pause for orders, no replay option for campaign battles, and no ability to set the camera POV at ground level. If they would just fix/add those things I would really love this game. I mean, I really like it now, but it could be so much more with just a little more work. Here's hoping Red Dragon fixes these issues.

BTW: here is a screenshot compilation:

[video=youtube_share;s25M1YOReRk]http://youtu.be/s25M1YOReRk[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Btw, I am assuming that their lack of work on formations mean infantry are still blobbing across the battlefield.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Btw, I am assuming that their lack of work on formations mean infantry are still blobbing across the battlefield.
I don't know if Eugen patched in some changes or I just never noticed it before but in my most recent game I actually saw infantry moving in column formation, as well as in a line (you can see them in a line formation in one of the screenshots I took for my AAR - the one where my infantry was spread out along the edge of the road near the crashed jet). It seems like every now and then the awful blob formations will give way to something more realistic. Every little bit helps. :)

p3love

ASL Acolyte
Reaction score
Country
ll
My infantry just run in a very unrealistic circle formation. Perhaps it would be the most difficult and totally useless for,
Motion ever as 40/50% would shoot themselves up.

Also what with the bomb/ napalm proof buildings and the ghost like ability of vehicles to pass through them?? I've also had jets dive into trees/the ground. A minor point on the last but the others are just sloppy and take something away from a great game.

The underestimated issue with independent 'I'm my own vehicle and don't belong to a platoon' is all so wrong

Let's get these fixed

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My infantry just run in a very unrealistic circle formation. Perhaps it would be the most difficult and totally useless for,
Motion ever as 40/50% would shoot themselves up.

Also what with the bomb/ napalm proof buildings and the ghost like ability of vehicles to pass through them?? I've also had jets dive into trees/the ground. A minor point on the last but the others are just sloppy and take something away from a great game.

The underestimated issue with independent 'I'm my own vehicle and don't belong to a platoon' is all so wrong

Let's get these fixed
I agree. The game is so close to being a solid experience, but there are all sorts of relatively minor shortcomings that are conspiring to hold back the entire game. It wouldn't irk me so much if Eugen called this Command and Conquer: ALB, but it is called WARGAME: ALB. The devs were very vocal about how they wanted this to be something more than a beer and pretzels RTS game, yet they seemed to have decided to leave out some important stuff that really detracts from what should be a more realistic experience (the lack of vehicle formations is another irksome issue, especially seeing how we have a FORMATIONS BUTTON!!! :mad:). Again, nothing really major, but just minor chrome that probably could have been patched in. It annoys me that we aren't going to get it. I think Eugen is being very cautious with the development of this franchise - they don't want to bite off more than they can chew and wreck the game. Seeing the major flops of other games this year for precisely that reason, perhaps their caution is commendable. But it still is annoying.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First vid!

[video=youtube_share;UxlGYVVGu3I]http://youtu.be/UxlGYVVGu3I[/video]

Still not much with the warships. I think that might be proving to be a stumbling block. Regardless, I'm ready for more! :)

Text that goes with the vid:

The tension is ramping up in Wargame Red Dragon! The latest game in the spectacular RTS series created by developers Eugen Systems can today reveal the very first teaser video that takes us to the heart of Asia and the scenes of the next clashes of Wargame.

The NATO and Pact armies and their allies finally deploy in Asia. This first Red Dragon video gives us a taste of the strategic and pyrotechnical delights in store for you in this new Wargame title, which takes place at the start of a new major armed conflict. You can look forward to new factions, new units and combat vehicles (for a total of over 1,300!) and, in particular, the introduction of naval units: the landing craft, amphibian vehicles and warships will thrill fans of complex strategies, who will now be able to include the waterways as an integral part of their tactics!

More ambitious than Wargame AirLand Battle, Wargame Red Dragon essentially retains the same game mechanics that made the series so successful, but the action leaves Europe for the first time and shifts to a conflict in central Asia between 1975 and 1991, and adding loads of new features. 5 new nations, among which China and North Korea, join the armed forces in Wargame with over 450 new units. The introduction of naval and amphibian units is a particular highlight, and the maritime and river areas provide fresh strategic opportunities! A new solo campaign plunges players headlong into a hellish war around Korea, while Wargame's extensive, road-tested multiplayer mode will engage them in some intense and spectacular battles with up to 20 other players simultaneously!
More of Wargame: Red Dragon will be revealed over the coming weeks with new screenshots and videos.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My god! That looked incredible! The terrain looked very much improved and it seems heights are getting beefed up to more realistic looking from what they were before.

Still, would like to see better formations and the ability to dig in infantry.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My god! That looked incredible! The terrain looked very much improved and it seems heights are getting beefed up to more realistic looking from what they were before.

Still, would like to see better formations and the ability to dig in infantry.
Formations: yes! It is an amazing oversight for a "wargame" to lack formations...especially when there is a "formations" button on the UI! I just don't understand devs these days....

The terrain is more varied - that was one of the big things on the devs wish list. I just hope all the maps don't have a tropical theme. I want the European maps of ALB to be ported over, too.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But still no shots of the ships in action. I think they are proving a sticking point for Eugen.

Why do I suspect the March window is closing? :)

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last edited:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some pictures and footage of the game:

Pictures with minor review

AAaaaand gameplay video!

[video=youtube;CSPizFIgnVk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSPizFIgnVk[/video]

The map look gorgeous!

-EDIT-

Here are 2 more videos by the guy:

[video=youtube;_2f9FhTg2QU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2f9FhTg2QU&feature=share&list=UUqFi7KA1eW3431MvULXBpIw&index=1[/video]

[video=youtube;iZnoBoTKbFI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZnoBoTKbFI&list=UUqFi7KA1eW3431MvULXBpIw&feature=share[/video]

Last edited: