WarfareHQ vs ACG tournament ?

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
As suggestet by Siberian HEAT how about a friendly tournament, WarfareHQ vs ACG ? As a gaming platform I suggest on of the two most popular WarfareHQ computer wargames: TOAW or Combat Mission, whatever game happenes to be owned by more people from ACG and WarfareHQ.

ACG, prepare to be crushed :devious:

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yeah, we should definitively gather data of what games are available.

I have:

TOAW-CoW
CMBB
CMAK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good plan.

I have:

CM:BO
CM:BB
CM:AK

Spot the running theme.

How does a tournament work? Presumably we each put up a selected "Team" and then what - do we just play one game each or do we each play more than one?

Dr. S.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yep, thats what I think would be the best, after we have a game we set up the teams (users should be able to chose their side because some of us were members in both forum) and than decide how to play. For TOAW I suggest one scenario for all players and one side plays as player one while the opposing forum plays side two. There are several pretty balanced games available, we just have to choose one :)

For CM i suggest 2 games on two custom maps (no auto-generated silly maps), one time forum1 attacks, the other map forum2 attacks. I think we should assigne xx points (1500-2000??) but allow both players to buy their own forces. That should make the battles more interesting :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cracking plan. I shall run back to HQ at the 5th ACG and advise the CO there as we have a few CM players who would probably want to side with the ACG team.

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have issued a general call to anyone at the 5th ACG who wants to play for the ACG team. Anyone who is not a member of the 5th ACG but who wants to play for our side, please sign up in this thread.

OK, next question - who provides the CM maps? Are we going to go with completely new custom-built maps? Assuming that both sides get to "approve" the maps in advance, I have someone who may be interested in creating them.

I guess we need to establish the paramaters of the maps so we can get them made...

Dr. S.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
CM maps: they should be interesting and challenging, but not too tough (river crossing). I guess the best would be if we simply alternate the maps and forces between the players. Lets assume for round1 we have team1, the attacker and team two, the defender. Lets assume 4 players for each side.

Than the first setting would be attack on map1 with force1 (germany?) against force2 (soviet?)
next pairing: attacking on map1 with force2 against force1
next: attacking on map2 with force1 vs force2
next: attacking on map2 with force2 vs force1

That would give us the best mix possible and no side could claim that the map was biased agaist them or that the attacking force was unbeatable because they had the better stuff etc.

Next round would be: all players who played on map1 during the first round as the attacker will than defend on map2 and the other way around.

Maybe we could make a mixed TOAW/CM tournament (so that nobody gets left behind because he doesn't have a game), after all the main point is to get both former forums to play against each other to beat the living sh... ah, to get to know each other better :D

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Kraut said:
Maybe we could make a mixed TOAW/CM tournament (so that nobody gets left behind because he doesn't have a game), after all the main point is to get both former forums to play against each other to beat the living sh... ah, to get to know each other better :D
I am gathering our forces as we speak...erm...type.

Mixed tourney sounds like a good idea.

Just one thing - I'm limited to PBEM only. Does that matter?

Dr. S.

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is kind of a rough decision since I'm a member of both groups. :surprise:

However, I'm in for CMBO or CMBB on the ACG side of things since I joined that forum group months before I joined WHQ. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mephisto said:
This is kind of a rough decision since I'm a member of both groups. :surprise:

However, I'm in for CMBO or CMBB on the ACG side of things since I joined that forum group months before I joined WHQ. :rolleyes:
Hurrah!

Dr. S.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I never suggested a tournament per se between the two sites. Currently we have plenty of tournaments going on, and we don't want to overload our WHQ section leaders. HOWEVER, sometime in the future we might have something like this.

For now, I invite both groups to play in some friendly matches as a way of getting to know each other. As many of us can attest, some of our best friends have been found through PBEM games against each other!

The "thing" I was talking about will be seen shortly...and it may provide a bit of the competitive spirit you crave!

:cheeky:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Siberian HEAT said:
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I never suggested a tournament per se between the two sites. Currently we have plenty of tournaments going on, and we don't want to overload our WHQ section leaders. HOWEVER, sometime in the future we might have something like this.

For now, I invite both groups to play in some friendly matches as a way of getting to know each other. As many of us can attest, some of our best friends have been found through PBEM games against each other!

The "thing" I was talking about will be seen shortly...and it may provide a bit of the competitive spirit you crave!

OK, I've got a couple of games scheduled with some WHQ Members - we'll wait and see what SH's "thing" is (oo-er).

Dr. S.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't understand this ACG vs WHQ players mentality or the reasoning behind it as we all play the same game (CM) at the same site.

Are "you" not on the WARS ladder? The exact same ladder everyone else here is on? Is there some "elitist" reason for making it an US vs THEM competition? And how do I qualify to be on the "US" or the "THEM" team?

I thought the merger was to compliment & combine similar sections into "ONE" entity. I'd also think that since members here are posting at the same CM Forum that it would be a "we" team philosophy and a "me vs you" competition.

Just curious.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be as if the US and Canada decided to become one great big country...you'd still have some people who were consumed by the need to ingest great quantities of beer on one side, and pitchfork wielding bumpkins throwing British tea in the harbor on the other side.

We'd all be part of the same "team" of beer swilling, pitchfork throwing yokels, and we'd all be good friends...but some people would still be good at pitchforking and others would remember a day when beer drinking was their speciality. And, for fun, the beer drinkers would challenge the pitchforkers and vice versa until eventually everyone was equally good at both beer consumption and pitchfork tossing. It would be a grand day for everyone!

In short, the competition is all about fun!

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My pitchfork analogy aside, Palantir is correct - we are all beer drinkers now, so there is no need for intramurals just yet. Someone might get a pitchfork in the eye!

:smoke:

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just for the record I'ld rather be beer drinking then pitchforking! :toast:

Last edited: