WarfareHQ Ladder Scoring System

KG Koz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am relatively new to the WarfareHQ website and happy to be a member. I have enjoyed my Newbie Tournament experience (hopefully i'll get to move on to 2nd Round!) and feel that the warfareHQ members are a good group of wargames. That being said, I hope I do not offend anyone with the following comments.

To get to the point - I do not think I agree with the WarfareHQ ladder scoring system. I say "think" because I do not have what I would consider to be a solution and if I can be convinced that this is the best way I will conform and be a believer.

The current system is completely in the favor of active opponents who play many large games. Some people have no life (job, family, etc...) and are able to play on an almost continuous basis. This may mean that they are better than other WarfareHQ opponents, but not necessarily. Since points are gained even when losing an active player who loses continuously will have a good ranking.

My gut feeling is that an experience based scoring system would be better. An inexperienced player playing an experienced player would have more to gain, and likewise the experienced player would have more to lose. This would encourage experienced players to play experienced opponents.

Another advantage is that experienced players may be more likely to join the WarfareHq family if they felt their superior playing ability could translate into a quick rise through the ranks. The addition of more experienced WarfareHQ players would be good for everyone, I think.

Also, when CM BB is available I have been told that the existing ladder will be used for both BO and BB. This will make it very difficult for new players to ever catch up without playing almost continuously. I guess it is no surprise that a new player like myself would like to start over and be even with the experienced players. Likewise, high ranked players in the current ladder would not want to start again. But, in my opinion the elite players will quickly pull away from the other players, especially if the system is based upon skill/experience and not the number of large games played.

I am curious if any of you share my thoughts.

Scipio

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The problem of alltime point collecting ladders : at some point it will be hard or even impossible for newbies to catch up.

I know this is frustrating, and for this reason I have invented the Top Player Ladder allready some time ago. You only need a minimum of 5 reported games within 12 month to be listed there. It considers your victory/defeats and even the victory/defeat level. It was also proposed to take care of both players rating. I generally like this idea. I will check what is possible, but I already know that a big engine rewrite will be necessary, and I surely won't find time before my next holiday in September/October. So if sombody has ideas for this, he may post them here or send me a mail. BTW, you should also know that those changes will apply to ALL Warfarehq ladders, so don't think to CM specific.

It is true that I won't create a fresh ladder for CM:BB. I really don't see a good reason for this. All games of the CS series for example are also running on the same ladder. The newbie problem will be solved only for those who are newbies TODAY - but the newbies of the next year will have the same problem then the newbies have today.