Warfare HQ: Let's hear what the members really think

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The TOAW ladder is running. Are you having the same problem with the other ladders? What page are you trying to access it from?

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I checked out the site on Explorer & everything works fine. I guess I'll be switching over from Netscape.:crosseye:

Basilhare

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guys are doing a great job....I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this site. I think it is up to the members at large to advertise Warfare HQ....beyond that all you can do is provide a quality site and you are doing just that. In this post Games Workshop and first person PC Shooter age, it is becoming increasingly difficult to further the cause of traditional wargames but we need to try to reach the young people and interest them in history and historical gaming. I think that is the key...advertise resources such as this to our younger gaming community ....anyway, I digress.....

I shop here for the TOAW/Europe Aflame Forum.....Combat Mission and Europe Afalme are all I do PBEM wise.....that's what I like and you guys are about the last ones supporting TOAW.....I check in almost daily currently but I go through phases of inactivity, depending on whats going on in my life....

Thanks for all you guys do!

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Shorts answers to the questions

Shorts answers to the questions :

A. Yes : TOAW, SPWAW…, but why not old wargames like Age of Rifles, or maybe Cyberboard or VASL (but I don’t play them) ?

B. All is good. A little suggestion : with the game news, why not short news about the situation in the world ? For example, “troubles in Cansamances (Senegal) : separatists launch a raid on a pro-governmental village. Five civilians are killed”. With of course more details for “more important” events.

C. This forum format is the best you can have on the net. Why don’t gamers post AARs of their games ? Not when the game is finished, but in the course of it (DAR ?) : short posts in the forum describing the situation, what the player expects…

D. Very good I would say. But I registered only one game, and I’m not very familiar with the mechanisms, I can’t comment them. The rank system is a very good idea. Why not a championship during a year where the registered players (in this championship) must play a list scenarios (4 or 5 for example), to obtain a rank in the end of the year ?

E The forum. The most part of the time, I only read it, because of some difficulties in English. But I must say there are a lot of very good things in it. Especially the threads about current events in the world. It’s very interesting to have points of view from other countries, that relativizes what your own media say.

F. I visit the site regularly. The quality is high. I haven’t read all the articles, AARs... It’s more a matter of time than of content. But maybe some pictures of Anna Kournikova ?

G. Very good staff, very good job.

H. When I have the possibility, I speak about it to other French players. On the main French site for wargamers, Magonline.free.fr, Warfare HQ is the only link to “Anglo-Saxon” sites dedicated to wargaming on computers.

I. Good idea to give two resolutions, the high one didn’t work on my PC. Maybe it’s difficult to know what games are supported by warfare HQ on the first pages.

J. More articles, more AARs, more everything… :)

La Palice.

Scipio

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: Shorts answers to the questions

Originally posted by LaPalice
... But maybe some pictures of Anna Kournikova ?...
I guess this would be a little bit off topic for this club. Anyway, I second this idea for my personal reasons! :pIMP:

Tzar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Overall, WarfareHQ is in the right direction. There is no secret formula for having a successful website other than having a dedicated and responsive staff, and this is what WarfareHQ has.

Here's my feedback on the various points:

a. Are we supporting the right wargames? Specifics please.

I believe you are. Personally, I am also playing Panzer Campaigns from HPS so perhaps I could appreciate a section on this serie. However, the Blitz is already supporting this game and HPS personnel are already answering questions of the players at the Blitz, so it's not an absolute necessity to have a Panzer Campaign section here at WarfareHQ.

b. What do you like about Warfare HQ? What don't you like?

I like the fact that this site is being taken seriously by its staff. I can only praise the dedication of the General Editor and the rest of the section leaders in making sure the site is regularly updated and improved. The dust never has time to settle here, and it entices me to come back pretty much every day.

I also like the tournaments. I hope there will always be a tournament going on. I especially like "thematic" tournaments (i.e. a WWII tournament, a WWI tournament, a Vietnam War tournament, etc).

c. Do you like the forum setup? Is it good? Does it suck? Why?

The forum setup is about as good as it gets. It's clear and tidy. But those stickies always staying at the top bothers me. There should be a limit of time for a sticky or thread to be always at the top.

d. How are our ladders? Are they great? Do they need to change? Let's hear what you think.

Well, I don't really understand how the scores are computed. I am not saying the scores aren't right, but I haven't seen any link on the ladder page that would explain to me how the scores are computed and ratings given.

e. What's the single biggest reason you keep coming back here?

Well, three big reasons, in order of importance:

First, there are knowledgeable and intelligent people in the forums on all aspects of wargaming. I really appreciate that.

Second, this site is well-done in terms of graphics and layout, which isn't always the case of all wargaming websites.

Third, the publicity on this site is limited and sober. There is no damn window popping-up every now and then to propose me to save bucks on things I don't need. I understand that some sites need all this money, but I appreciate that at Warfare HQ, the advertising is under control and is not an annoyance.

f. Why don't you visit more often? What can we do to make it better?

I visit daily :)

g. What do you think of the staff? Are we responsive and helpful?

Yes. I have dealt with Siberian Heat, the TOAW Section Leader, and he has been very responsive.

h. Do you think other people know about Warfare HQ? How can we reach out to new members?

From what I have seen on other wargaming web sites, I would suspect that most die-hard grognards probably already know about WarfareHQ. I see links to WarfareHQ on a lot of websites, whether it be clubs or companies web site. Now, not all of them visit the forums so that's why we may have the impression the audience is more limited than we think.

I believe the forums should be advertised more on the homepage and invite people to come in. At this moment, the forums is only a tiny link under the "Commo" heading. It should be emphasized more than that. As I said, the forums are one of the main reasons I come here.

i. What do you think of the webpage layout? Is the site easy enough to navigate?

No grievances on this. I appreciate the recent re-design of the site.

j. What would you like to see more of? Articles? AAR's? Mods and add-on's? What kind of material is important to you?

Definitely I would appreciate more articles. It need not be only on wargaming, but it can also be on military affairs and strategy in general. Also, there are not enough AARs.

j. Talk to us about chat. So far I've not heard a general consensus on what the majority of members would find useful for chat. Is there a solid demand for a more advanced chat system? How many of you would actually use it? Specifics please.

Personally, I am not a "web chatter". So I'll let the other people interested in this functionality to comment.

k. Why do more people not contribute articles, AAR's and tutorials? Is there something we can do to make this more of a priority for the members? how much of a demand is there for more strategy and tactics material?

Obviously, it asks for a quite a lot of dedication and knowledge to write articles and AARs. Because of this, there will always be only a minority of people doing so.

I know personally I would like to contribute AARs and I will certainly make an effort in my next couple of games to do so. Perhaps people submitting AARs and articles could get some bonus points on ladders as an encouragement and reconnaissance of what they are bringing to the community?

l. Is there a demand for more reviews and previews? How interesting and useful do you find these to be? Is there any interest in creating a Warfare HQ team of reviewers?

Oh yes. Speaking for TOAW, there are so many scenarios out there that it is not always easy to determine the good from the bad. Some kinf of review board should be established to attract the attention to the most interesting scenarios. I would personally be interested in being a part of such a board or group of reviewers.

m. What do you think of the news page? Is it useful? Do you read it every time you visit? Is it covering the right material? How can it be improved?

You are doing a good job of covering, in the largest sense possible, strategy games and wargames in the news. I do read it and appreciate it. Keep it up this way.

o. How important are quality scenarios to you? Is this one of the major reasons you visit Warfare HQ? How can we improve the presentation and availability of quality material?

Of course, quality scenarios are important for me.
The new scenario archive is quite empty. There should be an effort to make sure scenarios get posted there.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is a great place to come and play games, discuss issues, etc.

My only concern is finding the different sections has become a little more complicated recently. I liked the format in which the different games were listed at the top of the entry screen. You clicked on the game you wanted and all relevent sections for that game were available next screen...or am I just a boob:hmmm: lol

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am here, hence the site is pleasing.

It is the forums software that got me to return after day one.

I like that I can get an email response when a thread I participated on has seen a respnse since.
This is more important to me than almost any other feature.

But I came here originally for TOAW, which marks me as a TOAW fan clearly.

I like the selection of other forums additionally.