War with Iran?

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The war with Iraq was the geopolitical version of having to call in security to remove a top brass employee you fired but refuses to leave. Iraq was completely alone.

Iran will have backers, not allies mind you but backers, like Russia. So like Syria only with twice as many soldiers and potential guerillas from Afghanistan and a better route between Russia and themselves.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So like Syria only with twice as many soldiers and potential guerillas from Afghanistan
The terrain is more like Afghanistan than Syria. And the population is 4.5 times as large, while the land area is almost ten times larger. I would suspect more potential guerillas from Shi'a areas of Iraq than Afghanistan, which is primarily a Sunni dominated country.

Iran is twice the size of Afghanistan, with 2.5 times the population. It is also far more homogeneous than Afghanistan, Iraq or Syria, being mostly (90+%) Shi'a Muslim and mostly Persian ethnicity (65%). There may be a lot of dissension in Iran, but none of it would welcome US troops.

The US has no chance of occupying Iran nor even bombing it into submission, without the use of nuclear weapons and even then probably not. But that hasn't stopped us before.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The terrain is more like Afghanistan than Syria. And the population is 4.5 times as large, while the land area is almost ten times larger. I would suspect more potential guerillas from Shi'a areas of Iraq than Afghanistan, which is primarily a Sunni dominated country.

Iran is twice the size of Afghanistan, with 2.5 times the population. It is also far more homogeneous than Afghanistan, Iraq or Syria, being mostly (90+%) Shi'a Muslim and mostly Persian ethnicity (65%). There may be a lot of dissension in Iran, but none of it would welcome US troops.

The US has no chance of occupying Iran nor even bombing it into submission, without the use of nuclear weapons and even then probably not. But that hasn't stopped us before.
All true.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't advocate war with Iran, but if you know the geography, you know you don't have to take the whole country. What would be interesting is to see if all the Iraqi militias would flock to Iran's aid.

Honestly, we (the US) should drill the North Bank, spend the time that buys us on renewable energy, and move on from the Mid-East. -- jim

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What would be interesting is seeing all the republican chickenhawks explain why their kids are exempt from any expectation of government service.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When the taliban are back in power in the entirerty of Afghanistan instead of just most of it, then we will have the troop strength to lose another war somewhere else.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For me this has the hallmarks of bellicose rhetoric which will allow him to play the peacemaker card when he refuses to be drawn in to actual war.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
For me this has the hallmarks of bellicose rhetoric which will allow him to play the peacemaker card when he refuses to be drawn in to actual war.
More like a classic "Look over there, a squirrel!" play to distract from the Mueller report. It's working....

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's to distract from? Trump obstructed justice and while he's a sack of shit kind of guy that would hope for a Nazi win if it got him elected, did not provide a quid pro quo deal with the Russians.

Something we all knew was the best outcome for him. The only way the Mueller report would be news is if there was proof of a quid pro quo agreement. The voters saw trump obstruct on national TV and it didn't change the mind of more than a handful of republicans and trump voters. They saw him ask for Russian help on national TV and voted for him. His opponent told the electorate that he was a puppet to Putin, which is what he's turned out to be, and people voted for him.

The problem isn't the lack of focus on the Mueller report, the problem is Americans that care more about defending 1950s white America nostalgia than about reality.

I believe Trump will not start a war in Iran, but he's a fuckwit and they are hard to predict. So, again, if you live in an country allied with the US (and not just with the president--looking at you Putin), please contact your representatives and tell them to tell the US they will go it alone and isolated.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
War with Iran would isolate the US diplomatically from practically every other democratic-leaning nation. Israel, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, and a few other right-leaning, f*cked-up countries would be with us, but any self-respecting country would back away if they can. We would continue our slide downward as a nation that's supposed to stand up for decency.

Great article here by Lucian Truscott IV. (the name should be familiar to WWII readers)

Last edited:

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My only hope is that Trump recognizes that Bolton and Netanyahu are nuts and exercises whatever caution or political instinct that he may have to stay the F out of a shooting war with Iran.
Give him credit where due - looks like Trump has seen these nuts for who they are...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remember when, after the Florida mass school shooting, Trump said that we need to change our gun laws and not be afraid of the NRA? Or when he was pro-choice before he was anti-abortion? Or when he was pro-LGBTQ rights before he got into office and worked on restricting people's rights?

So, I'll give credit to Trump when he leaves office without going to war with Iran/Venezuela/North Korea. Until then, I'll keep my hands on my wallet.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, and to do that you need to put ships and/or planes in close proximity with the target, just as Trump and the republicans are doing.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Yes, and to do that you need to put ships and/or planes in close proximity with the target, just as Trump and the republicans are doing.
Or how about Operation Northwood? One of the suggestions was to load a plane with corpses, blow it up and blame it on Cuba. All sorts of crazy false flag shit. Although the right wing nutters are always dreaming up insane conspiracy theories, some of the ideas are vaguely grounded in ideas that were at least considered by the US government.