War with Iran?

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Good read from Paul Roberts. I think he's on to something.

What do you think - will it be war again?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Around 2006-2008 military leaders like Mike Mullen successfully sabotaged attempts by the war party to initiate a war against Iran. We'll see whether the top brass are as reasonable as their elders.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Around 2006-2008 military leaders like Mike Mullen successfully sabotaged attempts by the war party to initiate a war against Iran. We'll see whether the top brass are as reasonable as their elders.
One thing we know for sure, if France is publicly for it, you'll be secretly against until the moment of truth comes. That's one lesson I hope we never forget. I also hope we return it in spades, but that's just me. -- jim

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
One thing we know for sure, if France is publicly for it, you'll be secretly against until the moment of truth comes. That's one lesson I hope we never forget. I also hope we return it in spades, but that's just me. -- jim
When it came to the Iraq war, i don't think France's stance was that secret, he he.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone living in a US allied country should contact their elected officials to tell them to tell the US that the US will be without allies if the US pulls the old secret heavy water intel bullshit again. It might help keep the US out of yet another lost war.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hard to say whether the war lust that Trump, Bolton and Pompeo have is more about blood than oil. It's one of the two - but maybe both. Iran? Venezuela? So hard to choose.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The former ambassador to Russia says there is chatter among Russia experts speculating that Pompeo is going to float a deal with Putin--Russia stays out of Venezuela and the US gives Russia a free hand in Ukraine.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Forget oil, this is Spanky we're talking about. He will do anything to distract from his crimes and help him get elected. As for Bolton, he just likes the smell of rotting corpses in the morning.

The only brake on a war is that it would take troops away from the Mexican border.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Anyone living in a US allied country should contact their elected officials to tell them to tell the US that the US will be without allies if the US pulls the old secret heavy water intel bullshit again. It might help keep the US out of yet another lost war.
It has started. Every little helps.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
When it came to the Iraq war, i don't think France's stance was that secret, he he.
It wasn't secret once you went public. That's OK, I believe karma is a bitch. I hope the phone is busy when you call. Better yet, I hope we string you along with promises of help until it's too late. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It is not bullying to recall a promise broken or a falsehood spoken. We may forgive, but never forget. -- jim

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It is not bullying to recall a promise broken or a falsehood spoken. We may forgive, but never forget. -- jim
NATO's treaty scheme right from the start had strict territorial limitations. The US did not want to have to come to the defence of the then English, French, Belgian or Dutch colonies. It's provisions were limited to Europe, the Mediterranean, North Atlantic and North America. Anything beyond that was optional. That is why the US did not get involved in the '82 Malvinas war never mind earlier colonial wars in places like Kenya and Aden. The US actually did it's best to end the Anglo-French attempt to seize the Suez canal in '56. NATO stayed out of Vietnam.

No NATO member was obliged to assist the US in the 1st Gulf War, but despite that many did. The French assisted in Afghanistan as they felt there was sufficient justification, but kept out of Iraq in the 2nd Gulf War. We all know how that turned out. The US is running neo-colonial wars of varying intensity in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and possibly dabbling in Yemen with no end in sight and you want to add a fourth/fifth against Iran! Maybe if the Iranian Navy is conducting exercises off New York then the US might have a reason to be nervous. Until then finish 3 wars before starting another.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
NATO's treaty scheme right from the start had strict territorial limitations. The US did not want to have to come to the defence of the then English, French, Belgian or Dutch colonies. It's provisions were limited to Europe, the Mediterranean, North Atlantic and North America. Anything beyond that was optional. That is why the US did not get involved in the '82 Malvinas war never mind earlier colonial wars in places like Kenya and Aden. The US actually did it's best to end the Anglo-French attempt to seize the Suez canal in '56. NATO stayed out of Vietnam.

No NATO member was obliged to assist the US in the 1st Gulf War, but despite that many did. The French assisted in Afghanistan as they felt there was sufficient justification, but kept out of Iraq in the 2nd Gulf War. We all know how that turned out. The US is running neo-colonial wars of varying intensity in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and possibly dabbling in Yemen with no end in sight and you want to add a fourth/fifth against Iran! Maybe if the Iranian Navy is conducting exercises off New York then the US might have a reason to be nervous. Until then finish 3 wars before starting another.
I don't care that they didn't show. I would have respect for that had that been their stated position from the outset. What I won't forget is how they were privately for it, right up until they publicly weren't. That I have no respect for, and I won't forget. -- jim

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My only hope is that Trump recognizes that Bolton and Netanyahu are nuts and exercises whatever caution or political instinct that he may have to stay the F out of a shooting war with Iran. I suspect he has that in him in spite of his other faults. Likely, he'll appease these nuts with some sort of show to save face - economic sanctions, small sharp proxy fight...

good article here

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The good news is that there are leaks to the press all over the place, so the military is again trying to neuter attack plans. Yet the ultimate decision rests on POTUS.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trump and the republican party are striking similar to the Nazi party during the war. When they commited some power play it was always, real politik, we had to get them before they got us. But when it happened to them, it was, those traitors!

Because they do not understand real compromise and partnership, only their own exceptionalism and desire for domination.