War-steeds

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks interesting, new steeds, types, mount traits: adds yet more options to your play style.

"In The Lord of the Rings Online™: Riders of Rohan™, the War-steed is your personal combat mount. It gains experience, levels up, and can be equipped with a Legendary Bridle—bringing the Legendary Item equip total to three during mounted combat. The War-steed can be trained and specialized in a variety of ways; earning specific trait points will allow you to improve their attributes,acquire new skills, and improve your own mounted combat skills.

Unlike standard travel mounts, War-steeds hail from a long lineage of majestic, highly intelligent, and kingly creatures known as the Mearas. They are faster, stronger, and thoroughly trained for battle."

But since I still can't add attachments... :mad: you'll have to go here to see & read it all.

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/2240-riders-of-rohan-war-steeds

What do you think? (well those few who post that is!) :(

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From what I have been reading about this expansion, it sounds pretty good. Almost like LotRO is trying to tap into Mount & Blades magic. Unfortunately, as a LotRO beginner (just made level 14), I won't have cause to go near this expansion for a long time. Oh well.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, thats a given: there will be dozens of little grinds they will have to improve your steed (hint- new stuff they can sell you in the store to skip those grinds).
But I bet you won't need to do them to advance in level or down the quests lines.
LotRO has hundreds of "grinding stuff" you can do, some fun some not, it just depends if you want whatever is the goal of the "grind."

But, I've found you don't have to grind at all for anything if you don't want to.
Seriously unless you're into raids/instances you don't need to do any grinds for "stuff" that don't interest you, the basic stuff is fine.
My dwarf Guardian is lvl 54 and I haven't done any grinds beyond getting some racial/class stuff that you can get along the way.
His weapons are perfectly fine as they are with what I find along the way without grinding for legendary items or traits.
He's rolling along solo and doing quest after quest with no grinding at all. {I have Fellowshipped up to do a few of the harder Epic quests}

So, I'm ready to travel across Rohan (the home of 2 of our characters) & try out the the new War-steeds/mounted combat & ignore the grinds as they are rarely "needed" to have fun in LotRO.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Oh, thats a given: there will be dozens of little grinds they will have to improve your steed (hint- new stuff they can sell you in the store to skip those grinds).
But I bet you won't need to do them to advance in level or down the quests lines.
LotRO has hundreds of "grinding stuff" you can do, some fun some not, it just depends if you want whatever is the goal of the "grind."

But, I've found you don't have to grind at all for anything if you don't want to.
Seriously unless you're into raids/instances you don't need to do any grinds for "stuff" that don't interest you, the basic stuff is fine.
My dwarf Guardian is lvl 54 and I haven't done any grinds beyond getting some racial/class stuff that you can get along the way.
His weapons are perfectly fine as they are with what I find along the way without grinding for legendary items or traits.
He's rolling along solo and doing quest after quest with no grinding at all. {I have Fellowshipped up to do a few of the harder Epic quests}

So, I'm ready to travel across Rohan (the home of 2 of our characters) & try out the the new War-steeds/mounted combat & ignore the grinds as they are rarely "needed" to have fun in LotRO.
I'm downloading the beta test client now. If anyone else has been invited to the pre-release beta, can I expect to see you in Rohan as early as tonight?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice, keep us informed on how you feel about the game.
I'm hoping there are tons of meaningful quests & not just quests that have purposely riding everywhere JUST because there's mounted combat.

I do like the whole "wandering band" idea as knowing exactly where the enemy always is, is kind of boring & not very realistic (Ya, ya I know...).
I wish they'd have wandering bands in all the game with groups of raiders or goblins etc. rushing into say Trestlebridge for a bit then heading off someplace else.
Have them drop special items but make them so random that players coudl never just sit & wait for them to appear "again."

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't sign random NDAs so I generally can't do any closed betas.

I am still optimistic that the new gameplay with actual mobs of mobs navigating the landscape will be to my liking.