War of 1812 Trivia Question #2

Reaction score
What battle in the War of 1812 was central to the future election of both a United States President and Vice President?

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My guess: Battle of Plattsburgh - Lake Champlain

Ahhh, if only Sir George Prevost had had a pair!!!!

Reaction score
Nope, not Plattsburg/Champlain either.

By the way, that scenario is brutal from the US side *shudders*

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It must be as the British/Canadian troops outnumbered the US defenders ad probably would have broken through if not for the cowardice showed by Prevost after loosing the Lake battle. Geez!!

Reaction score
Nope, not Blandesburg... sure, Monroe was out there making an idiot of himself, but no future VP (at least that I know of)

Reaction score
Well, looks like interest in this one has died out. Not sure if I'm supposed to "leave it hanging" as it were, but I'll go ahead and answer it.

The Battle of the Thames.

While it didn't do as much to establish the reputation of William Henry Harrison as the Battle of Tippecanoe, it did firm him up in the public consciousness, and with the "revenge for the Raisin", was a definiate part of making him a bona fide war hero.

The Vice President?

The Ninth Vice President of the United States, under Martin Van Buren... Richard Johnson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mentor_Johnson

His political slogan/jingle? "Rhumpsy Dumpsy, Rhumpsy Dumpsy, Col Johnson killed Techumseh"

(Note, the wiki article aside, the best evididence I've seen is that he actually was the one who killed Techumseh... someone did, that's for sure.)

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I always answer them, but how long you let it wait is up to you...I think I've been averaging 4 days or so on the CWT&F questions.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gary McClellan said:
Well, looks like interest in this one has died out. Not sure if I'm supposed to "leave it hanging" as it were, but I'll go ahead and answer it.

The Battle of the Thames.

While it didn't do as much to establish the reputation of William Henry Harrison as the Battle of Tippecanoe, it did firm him up in the public consciousness, and with the "revenge for the Raisin", was a definiate part of making him a bona fide war hero.

The Vice President?

The Ninth Vice President of the United States, under Martin Van Buren... Richard Johnson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mentor_Johnson

His political slogan/jingle? "Rhumpsy Dumpsy, Rhumpsy Dumpsy, Col Johnson killed Techumseh"

(Note, the wiki article aside, the best evididence I've seen is that he actually was the one who killed Techumseh... someone did, that's for sure.)
A turning point for sure. Tecumseh's body was never found. Lance, a user on this board, had an ancestor at the Thames and was killed there as well.