War of 1812 Trivia Question #1

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Led a US Light Infantry Company/Battalion during the Niagara of 1814. Belonged to the 25th Infantry, I think he tricked the British into believing his men were theirs, and thus making a nice little backstab incident.

but no idea :D

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Actually he fought at Chippawa in 1814 and held off a superior ennemy force. Would that be his claim?

Reaction score
Ivan: Close, but not quite. Nice job on Google/Wiki though :) I know you too well. Anyway, it wasn't a backstab incident... confusion in the dark at most.

Danny: not sure if he did that, though that's not what I'm looking for. Right campaign, wrong battle.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gary McClellan said:
Ivan: Close, but not quite. Nice job on Google/Wiki though :) I know you too well. Anyway, it wasn't a backstab incident... confusion in the dark at most.

Danny: not sure if he did that, though that's not what I'm looking for. Right campaign, wrong battle.
OK then back to the books I go....

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Gary McClellan said:
Ivan: Close, but not quite. Nice job on Google/Wiki though :) I know you too well.
heh, Feepers - that you do :D

I'm not sure what else I can find...here in the wide brwon land, so I'll wait for someone with a clue to answer ;)

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
He and his men were mistaken for British regulars and left untouched until they captured the wounded Major General Phineas Riall and his entourage then returned to their own lines with their prisonners.

Battle: Lundy's Lane

Reaction score
The capture of General Riall is what I was looking for :laugh:

There are different "versions" of the "mistaken" thing, though by that point in time it was very nearly dark, so the mistake is very possible.

The humorous part was that when Riall was captured, he made a pun saying that it was appropriate that he was captured by Ketchum :cheeky:

Lundy's Lane is an interesting battle... the top 2 commanders on each side were either wounded or captured or both, though Drummond did manage to stay in command, as opposed to Brown on the US side.