• Zulu

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
IM WORKING ON TRANSLATING THE REGION ON THE ROAD TO LAKE RUKA, A GOOD FILM ABOUT THE ATTACKING PHASE IN AUGUST 41 IN NORTHERN KARELIA. BEST FINNISH WAR FILM EVER. BUT YOU GUYS NEED A US AND CANADA REGION CD, THERE ARE PROGRAMS THAT CHANGE THIS, AND I HAVE A DVD BURNING ROM ON MY BIN THATS BEING FIXED THIS WEEK, SO IM WRITING FROM A BACK UP OLD LAPTOP I PUT ON THE NET, AFTER THAT I CAN BURN THE BEST OF WADDINGTON AIR SHOW TOO...
ALSO THERE IS A PLAN TO MAKE A DOCUMENTARY OF THE WINTER AND CONTINUATION WARS IN ENGLISH, I'M TRYING TO GET HOLD OF VETS AND PUT MY CAMCORDER ON A STAND AND INTERVIEV, AND START THERE, HELL, BETTER THAN JUST SITTING ON THE SOFA WATCHING TV! EH?

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by 17poundr
an exellent film, way ahead of its time. Probably realistic too.
as far as the finnish film, I'm working on it, I will try to find a dvd with subtitles.
Sorry, every film from aboard in Finland has subtitles, as in the other scandinavian countries, thats why everyone in scandinavia speaks English.
So, unlike say... france, where you see a star performance by say, gary oldman raped by some guttural actor completely making a mess of the master of the english languages accents...
I rest my case, woodchipper please.
Ice dude, you made a good argument so no woodchipping today

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Originally posted by Lance Williams
There are parts of that movie I really like and then it has its contrived love story and the kid going back and forth between the sides that I find completely unrealistic.

The opening scenes of the river crossing are excellent as well as the CGI Stukas and tanks.
Nevertheless, vasily Zaitsev was a real person, and there were rumours that an 'experten' from germany was sent to deal with him. The facts are Zaitsev survived the war with a tally of about 160 kills. He was the first russian war 'ace' and almost singlehandedly started a cult of sniperism, in the Soviet army.
This was a menace to the Germans later, as they were taught to go for officers, and tank crews. Many an officer got it in battle because of a sniper, also tank crews in assembly areas still having the hatches open lost members to hidden snipers.
And it demonstrated how after Stalingrad the main catastrophy, wasnt loosing an army, huge disaster as it was. But the change of moral in the red army, after Stalingrad the myth of German invincibility was shattered. And the Russians became convinced they would eventually win. There were women soldiers in the Soviet army, and with every day potentially the last, I believe that sexual contact with the men took place.
And civilians were living in stalingrad all through the autumn fighting through the siege. People caught up in the German sector, had no choise but do anything in their power to get scraps of food.
ofcourse, I dont know if the boy story is true.

Marines

Reaction score
Correction the book is War of the Rats.

The man that was sent to kill him was Germanys top sniper a Major Konig. The biggest fault I found in the movie was at the very end when Harris is walking across the train yard and is spotted, he takes his cover off and turns to look at him and is shot.:rolleyes: Thats not how it went down.

Zaitsev shot in the direction of Konigs muzzle flash and the round went through his scope into his eye killing him. They could have at least included something like it in the movie but instead they decided to dramatize the event.