• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Marines
You said it not me. "Romantic"

War is not romantic and nor is it filled with glory and if you had ever served in a combat environment you would know this, if you die you are just that...dead nothing more.

The romantisizing of war is the result of Hollywood and so many people accept this as the way it is and it makes me sick.
I think the romantizing of war came way before Hollywood was around. I said the times were romantic, not the war itself. The war was later glorified, however, by the men who had fought in and participated in it. Read any of the stories of the men who fought in it. The glory was in them doing their duties as they saw fit, either side. Their glory was in surviving and returning home to tell of the horrors of war, and also of the heroics of the war. The men made it that way, and Hollywood is just picking up where they left off.

Marines

Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
I think the romantizing of war came way before Hollywood was around. I said the times were romantic, not the war itself. The war was later glorified, however, by the men who had fought in and participated in it. Read any of the stories of the men who fought in it. The glory was in them doing their duties as they saw fit, either side. Their glory was in surviving and returning home to tell of the horrors of war, and also of the heroics of the war. The men made it that way, and Hollywood is just picking up where they left off.
I agree 100%.

But you should remember what I said earlier.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I go for Private Ryan, just because the realism, and the sound work is unsurpassed, band of brothers is ten hours, and they just couldn pack in the deluxe detail of private ryan which was a two hour Spielberg blockbuster.
Its a pity that a Finnish war film made in the late 90s you probably cannot get. Its name in english is> The road to lake Ruka. And it also has individually recorded, bullets from different guns, and the guns have a different report, also its based on a true story, of a group of soldiers formed into a recce group in the start of the continuation war ( thats the summer of 41 )

I'll put a picture from the end of the continuation war of Finnish troops trying to keep the line against the june 44 soviet attack.

Marines

Reaction score
Originally posted by 17poundr
I go for Private Ryan, just because the realism, and the sound work is unsurpassed, band of brothers is ten hours, and they just couldn pack in the deluxe detail of private ryan which was a two hour Spielberg blockbuster.
Its a pity that a Finnish war film made in the late 90s you probably cannot get. Its name in english is> The road to lake Ruka. And it also has individually recorded, bullets from different guns, and the guns have a different report, also its based on a true story, of a group of soldiers formed into a recce group in the start of the continuation war ( thats the summer of 41 )

I'll put a picture from the end of the continuation war of Finnish troops trying to keep the line against the june 44 soviet attack.
I'm gonna have too try and find it. Is it dubbed in english (I hate reading subtitles).

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Marines
I'm gonna have too try and find it. Is it dubbed in english (I hate reading subtitles).
I love subtitles as long as they didn't do what some of the versions of Tora-Tora-Tora did. White subtitles against white summer uniforms. Made it a bit hard to read. :) But to me the best war movies are ones which have the Germans speaking German, the Soviets speaking Russian, etc. etc.

Marines

Reaction score
Originally posted by RichardS
I love subtitles as long as they didn't do what some of the versions of Tora-Tora-Tora did. White subtitles against white summer uniforms. Made it a bit hard to read. :) But to me the best war movies are ones which have the Germans speaking German, the Soviets speaking Russian, etc. etc.
Have you seen No Mans Land its a pretty decent movie.

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A bridge to far

I voted for a bridge to far because the movie was put together so well. The cast was also well done!

Thanks

Currahee

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
what about the german film the bridge
an exellent film, way ahead of its time. Probably realistic too.
as far as the finnish film, I'm working on it, I will try to find a dvd with subtitles.
Sorry, every film from aboard in Finland has subtitles, as in the other scandinavian countries, thats why everyone in scandinavia speaks English.
So, unlike say... france, where you see a star performance by say, gary oldman raped by some guttural actor completely making a mess of the master of the english languages accents...
I rest my case, woodchipper please.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Hey what about 'Enemy at the gates'? I think it was about time they showed the courage of a Soviet soldier, and Zaitsev was a real guy, who ended up with a tally of about 160 kills if my memory serves me correctly...

Reaction score
Originally posted by 17poundr
Hey what about 'Enemy at the gates'? I think it was about time they showed the courage of a Soviet soldier, and Zaitsev was a real guy, who ended up with a tally of about 160 kills if my memory serves me correctly...
There are parts of that movie I really like and then it has its contrived love story and the kid going back and forth between the sides that I find completely unrealistic.

The opening scenes of the river crossing are excellent as well as the CGI Stukas and tanks.

Marines

Reaction score
Originally posted by Lance Williams
There are parts of that movie I really like and then it has its contrived love story and the kid going back and forth between the sides that I find completely unrealistic.

The opening scenes of the river crossing are excellent as well as the CGI Stukas and tanks.
Its the simple fact that the real story was basically scapped in favor of another.

If you want to know the true story go out and get "Year of the Rat".

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
Whats it about?
Hitler Youth are sent to defend a worthless bridge from the Americans. Based, IIRC, on a real story. The NCo who was with them to keep them safe and out of trouble was arrested or killed and they fought to the bitter end for a bridge that nobody wanted. Only cheesy bit was the pSherman that you can see the wheels underneath. :)