War in the Pacific from Matrix games

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone tried this game, at $70 seems a litte steep, is it worth it?

Thanks for your replies.

Prester John

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It was only released yesterday, but there is a crowd of people who are eagerly awaiting it based on Brors' and Grigsby's previous work with Uncommon Valor.

I'm still playing a lot of Korsun Pocket though, so I might just wait until the first patch comes out. Of course by then Battles in Normandy will be out too. Anyway I intend to get both sooner or later.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I own Uncommon Valor which is set at a smaller scale. 30 mile hexes and it only includes the Solomon Islands area. It is the most complex Operational Pacific Theater game I have played. game turns can be set to 1-7 days. Gameplay includes detailed stats on Ships, Airplanes, and Ground Troops. This is a game as much about logistics as it is fighting. You need engineers to enlarge and repair your bases, airfields, ports, and service your planes. I think it is a GREAT operational game. It can be alot of work making sure you have transport convoys and airdrops supplying your men, and building task forces of ships to patrol and fight the enemy. Off the top of my head I think the large campaign in Uncommon Valor lasts 1.5 years or so. If you use the 1 day turn cycle that is alot of game.

Now picture all this times the entire Pacific Theater. With 60 mile hexes instead of 30. Same logistic / combat approach the large campaign covers 41-45. I think it is going to be HUGE :surprise:! Also Japan has some Industry Options. Frankly the scope of the game looks Downright AWESOME. If they have made the game actually playable you are probably going to be getting one the the largest wargames around.

Uncommon Valor required about 3 patches to make it Really Good, and considering the scope of it's big brother you may want to wait a bit to get some feedback from people about how the game plays. I really think Uncommon Valor is an Excellent game and I have high hopes for this one. If it is as playable as UV I would consider buying it full price, it seems if you wait long enough for the right deal you can usually get it for less.

Priest

Reaction score
I own UV and quite frankly I remain unimpressed with it, if WitP is just a larger version of UV then $70 is to much to pay AFAIC. If I were you then I'd try to get a copy of UV to see how you liked it and then make a decision from that. I traded my copy of Korsun Pocket for it and AFAIC it was a good trade because it saved me $70.

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Is this game going to be supported by WHQ? Because I've had a look at the previews and it looks damned impressive - I just want to know that I'll be able to find PBEM opponents.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I will certainly buy it. It should be a winner though I am sure its going to need some serious patching to get it right at that scale.

Full Monty

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have to say that I find Uncommon Valour highly uninvolving. Too much seems to happen over which I have little control. Given the scale and scope of the game this is probably quite realistic and is as much a reflection of me as a gamer as it is of the game :) . Saing that I'm about to read 'The Pacific Campaign' by Dan Van Der Wat which may tip the balance of my opinion. Mind you I have to finish Gitta Sereny's 'Albert Speer: His Battle With Truth' first.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've played Uncommon Valor and enjoyed it very much. I'll probably buy WitP as it becomes available.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Wolf said:
Is this game going to be supported by WHQ? Because I've had a look at the previews and it looks damned impressive - I just want to know that I'll be able to find PBEM opponents.
I'll rule nothing out, but it's doubtful at this point. We had an UV section for a long time and it was a flop. No one was interested in it.

Pfc TAZ

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llUnited States
I tried real hard to like Uncommon Valor, but it seemed to be too much of a stretch for me. I either never figured it out or it was too much for me. Despite all of my efforts my carriers floated around like Roman Candles. I'll eventually buy this one, but only because I want to support the effort.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes this club has a lot of grizzled old ground pounders in it! I don't expect they'll get thir sea legs any time soon ;)

:D

Full Monty

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes this club has a lot of grizzled old ground pounders in it! I don't expect they'll get thir sea legs any time soon.
:bounce:

If anyone could point me in the direction of a decent WW1 Naval Battles game that would allow me to play out 'Jutland', 'Dogger Bank' and some hypotheticals I'd be grateful. Bear in mind I'm in the UK. :)

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the first computer games to come out on CD was 'Jutland'. I didn't have a CD at the time so I don't know how it was or if you can still get it.

Prester John

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
And Norm Koger is working on a Russo-Japanese War naval battle wargame as well. It's supposed to be available at the end of the year. I think that this has already been posted somewhere (announcements?).

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I mentioned in a post of almost a year ago, the problem with UV was getting into it. It was a masive game in need of a decent tutorial. I have also kept an eye out for articles helping those new to UV get into the game and play it with a reasonable chance of success. Had the members of the old UV section written a few of these, more of us would have given UV a fair shot and the section might have survived. I've fooled around with UV, but it was almost like walking around in a dark room. With so many other great options, most are not going to devote weeks or months just to learn the basics of a game. Grigsby needs to assemble tutorials for all his new games along the line of what was done for SP 3.