War In Peace ASL Post WWII

Mike Murphy

Cat's servant
Reaction score
General Disaster said:
It wasn't really ASL the scale of the hexes are different in these games .
And the rules are different.
That's probably quite true - I haven't owned or played this one in what, 15 years or more. Still, as I recall the basic units were individual vehicles and squads. That puts MBT at the same general scale as ASL. It did include exotic AFV ammo, heliopters, and wire-guided missles. I don't recall if individual leaders were part of the mix or not.

MBT scenarios were primarily (if not exclusively) oriented to a hypothetical US/West German vs. Soviet war on German soil. IDF was (as I understand it) oriented to historic (and hypothetical perhaps) Arab vs. Israeli battles. I never owned IDF so I can't say for sure if this was the case. Regardless, this game series is a modern equivalent of ASL. My point was (and is) that modern combat didn't seem to catch on with the general wargaming public. Look around and compare the number of gamers playing MBT/IDF and ASL.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
General Disaster said:
You may be right but it seems no publisher except desktop games companies seems to be interested in a modern tactical warfare .To bad .Don't wargamers get tired of playing the same old battles (Bulge, Waterloo, etc....).
I think there is a reason for that. IMO the reason is that modern battles tend to be unbalanced. WWII, and other era, combat tend to be much more balanced. Even Roman Legions vs Barbarians are more balanced than modern battles. I played a few Modern combat games in the past: MBT, Tac air, Flight Leader. Tac air and Flight Leader were ok, but MBT as I remember it was very unbalanced, my opponent (who owned the game) let me have the Soviet & T72s (of course!) and my shells were doing absolutely nothing to the U.S. tanks. Maybe other guys like that kind of combat, but I think it sux (in games, and it wouldn't give me any satisfaction to win as the U.S. in this case either){it may be a realistic translation, but hey, sometimes realistic translations don't work in games!}.

The larger strategic level (Tac Air) was a better game (since it was better balanced on the larger strategic scale where the units were Regiments iirc). Flight leader was good, since no side had too much of a distinct advantage (hit = kill for both sides).

In my opinion that's why modern Warfare doesn't translate well into games on the small unit (tactical) level, though strategic level is o.k. ... because tactical modern combat is too Lop-sided.

Now, there may some cases that don't fit that pattern such as Vietnam jungle ambush, which are infantry-only, type engagements.

caa

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Corporal Kindel said:
I think there is a reason for that. IMO the reason is that modern battles tend to be unbalanced. WWII, and other era, combat tend to be much more balanced. Even Roman Legions vs Barbarians are more balanced than modern battles. I played a few Modern combat games in the past: MBT, Tac air, Flight Leader. Tac air and Flight Leader were ok, but MBT as I remember it was very unbalanced, my opponent (who owned the game) let me have the Soviet & T72s (of course!) and my shells were doing absolutely nothing to the U.S. tanks. Maybe other guys like that kind of combat, but I think it sux (in games, and it wouldn't give me any satisfaction to win as the U.S. in this case either){it may be a realistic translation, but hey, sometimes realistic translations don't work in games!}.

The larger strategic level (Tac Air) was a better game (since it was better balanced on the larger strategic scale where the units were Regiments iirc). Flight leader was good, since no side had too much of a distinct advantage (hit = kill for both sides).

In my opinion that's why modern Warfare doesn't translate well into games on the small unit (tactical) level, though strategic level is o.k. ... because tactical modern combat is too Lop-sided.

Now, there may some cases that don't fit that pattern such as Vietnam jungle ambush, which are infantry-only, type engagements.
Good points. To this I would add that technology plays the predominant factor in modern warfare. Who wants to play a game determined by laser guided missles and smart bombs? Please, keep ASL in WWII, where it belongs.

A/CSM Bird

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think MASL could only stray into the '50s at the most. Once you start into ATGW and modern firepower/MBTs that is essentially a whole new game not ASL as we currently know it as has been pointed out by Cpl Kindel.

I look forward to seeing a Korea module that is do-able. I don't count the CH stuff as ASL so I'd like to see the early AI wars or Indochina taken on as an MMP sanctioned project. Heck if there's interest in the Spanish Civil War why not the early post WWII conflicts fought with WWII weapons?

Frank

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi,

MASL is in the works. We have rules for Helicopters, ATGMs, Night Vision Equipment, Fire Control Systems, etc...

The complete OB for the American and Russian vehicles/ordnance is almost finished, besides all coutries participating in the Indochina Wars.

Besides the MASL Core Rules, there will be Theatre Modules like Vietnam, Arab-Israeli Wars, Falkslands, and a Hypothetical Cold War module (Fulda Gap anyone ?).

Send me a PM if interested in participating...

Frank

Gen. blunder

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Corporal Kindel said:
I think there is a reason for that. IMO the reason is that modern battles tend to be unbalanced. WWII, and other era, combat tend to be much more balanced.
Well i'm not so sure about that , if you play a game simulating the german invasion of Poland in 1939 it will seem to me pretty unbalanced exept on a tactical level the same for The invasion of Yougoslavia in 1941.
And the M1A1 versus the T 72 look like a duel between a M4 sherman and a Jagdpanther pretty unbalanced to.
I had a tendencie to believe that the tactical scale would be less unbanlanced than the strategic scale but probably it's more a matter about how wars are fought .
Guerrilla warfare with it's hit and run tactics is pretty different than Early WWII action.

Frank

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
kcdusk said:
Hello Frank, um, who is "we"? Whom has something in the works???
Actually, that's me and some ASL guys volunteering to work on the MASL project. CUrrently the whole project is in development/playtest stage and no publisher is fixed yet.

Frank

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hello Frank,

Good to hear it, did you guys step forward to volunteer? Or did everyone else step backwards and you were left at the front?

hehe

Nah, thats good. I've had Petes work for a while and only thought to post about it here after i stumbled across this site a fortnight ago.

Was it originally Petes work or your own?

Gen. blunder

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Mike Murphy said:
That's probably quite true - I haven't owned or played this one in what, 15 years or more. Still, as I recall the basic units were individual vehicles and squads.
Yes but the hexes are 100 or 200 yards long so the tanks move through less hexes than a tank in ASL in one turn giving the impression of playing some kind of napoleonic war with infantry lines and columns that move so rigidely..

Mike Murphy said:
My point was (and is) that modern combat didn't seem to catch on with the general wargaming public. Look around and compare the number of gamers playing MBT/IDF and ASL.

Mike
I think the rules have a lot to do with it and also the map scale,
the type of action that goes on, and the graphic quality of the maps and counters etc etc .
MBT rules were'nt as fluid as squad leader rules that evolved into ASL .
And the game itself was not that fluid.

tlclouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back in the Fire Team Days... and MASL

In the mid 1980’s I was a playtester [1] for the closest thing yet to MASL—Fire Team . Worked well as a sort of MASL. Had some nice command and control rules, and did a good job of simulating most aspects of a hypothetical U.S. /U.S.S.R. conflict. The designer was forced to shoehorn in helicopters because the publisher required it. However, they did not fit the scale and the game was better without them.

Looked at the VFTT ideas for MASL, and the assumptions look a bit weak in some areas that I used to study for my real job (procurement and use of non-nuclear ammunition for the U.S. military). Some particulars:
Accuracy and effect of the M72A2 LAW (and derivatives) is way overstated. [2] The LAW uses a slightly improved version of the BAZ ’44 rocket (66 millimeter warhead diameter), which is smaller than the 3.5 inch Super Bazooka of the 1950’s.
Grenade Launcher rounds for the U.S. have been HEDP (High Explosive Dual Purpose) since the late 1960’s and should have an ant armor TK (albeit a low one). Buckshot rounds (flechette rounds are in development) are available to deal with close-in targets. GL-equipped units should also have an increased likelihood for starshells, as there is an illumination round available. (M203 Description.)
The U.S. flamethrower was replaced the M202 “Flash,†which was (maybe still is) a four-shot disposable rocket launcher with incendiary warheads.
U.S. OBA ammunition is dramatically different as well. The standard projectile for 155-mm artillery is the M483/M864 DPICM (Dual Purpose Improved Conventional Ammunition) series, which, like the GL round, is also HEDP. 105-mm uses similar ones. DPICM/cluster projectiles without the antiarmor capability should be available for non-mortar OBA starting around 1965.

Don’t know about other countries, or morale issues, or some of the other stuff, but in the areas I do know about I don't think ASL would not be good fit post 1950 or so. (Also would probably not be a good fit pre 1925 or so, but that is another discussion).

[1] Yea unto the point of having an 8-1 leader counter.
[2] The U.S. Army’s search for a LATW that actually was light and a weapon (i.e., would not serve to antagonize a tank crew if a hit was scored) is a book by itself.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Can anyone tell me specifially, why MASL wouldnt work post 1950?

Is it because TK#'s are too high (wouldnt armour be corrospondingly higher also)?

Helecopters i can understand might not suit hex size of 40m, but WWII planes already work well to some degree ..... so .... why not helecopters?

Night vision goggles make it unplayable? Well, one side has "night" restrictions and the other with NVG dont (or modified night restrictions).

So why is post 1950 an issue, whats the obsticle to be overcome?

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Early M16 = really crappy!

General Disaster said:
So if we give 2 FP to a M60 a Vietnam era us squad should have a fire power of something like 11 or 12.
Maybe assuming earlier squads carrying M14s. But once the M16 shows up, you may need to make the infantry FP have a Breakdown number of 8 or 9!! :laugh:

hex

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hexagoner said:
Maybe assuming earlier squads carrying M14s. But once the M16 shows up, you may need to make the infantry FP have a Breakdown number of 8 or 9!! :laugh:

hex
Also add the WTC before ALL CC.....

WTC = "Weed Task Check".... Just to see if the Ami's can hear Jerry Garcia and the Dead while shooting up a clip".....:nuts:

tlclouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some reasons why MASL=Messy ASL

kcdusk said:
Can anyone tell me specifially, why MASL wouldnt work post 1950?
So why is post 1950 an issue, whats the obsticle to be overcome?
The simplest description of the problem is this:
What can be detected will be detected.
What is detected will be hit.
What is hit will be killed.
Now go forth and make an entertaining game of that.

The longer answer, as I see it, has to do with trying to fit modern combat (combat where at least one side has reasonably modern weapons, anyway) into ASL’s nominal 40 meters/hex and 2 minutes/turn. All-infantry scenarios are probably feasible with various rules adjustments, but fire support (OBA, helicopters, aircraft) and vehicles are not going to fit.

Fire support is considerably more responsive, accurate, and deadly. Improved Conventional Munitions (like the M483 projectiles I discussed above) are pretty much going to automatically KIA infantry caught without overhead cover (yes, I know it is already attacking to 30 FP column—but that is straight HE and without enhancements) and vehicles would be subject to a shower of small SCW that would be hitting engine covers, hatches, and other things that could very well mission-kill the target. Ratchet things forward to the late 1980s and the artillery can add antiarmor/antipersonnell instant minefields, active seeker antiarmor weapons, and other exotica. Air support is going involve the use of cluster munitions starting in the early 1960s. These have been shown to be very effective against infantry: the Vietnamese, Egyptians, Syrians, Afghanis, and Iraqis have found this out the hard way. While having a section of A-10s or AC-130s would be fun for the owning player, I think the entertainment value for the other guy is probably a little low.

Non-infantry weapon accuracy, weapon effects have undergone considerable improvement since 1945, and trying to shoehorn them onto ASL-size mapboards would be difficult. Some examples:
The primary U.S. ATGM (the TOW and successors) has a minimum range of around 100 meters and maximum range of around 3,000 meters; In ASL terms figure a minimum of three hexes and a maximum of around 75 hexes. The TH is uniform throughout the range. Doctrine calls for engaging targets outside their engagement envelope while being inside yours, so a TOW launcher is going to start engaging at 75 hexes. I’ve played a fair amount of ASL, and the longest shots I’ve ever seen were in KGP II, and those were 30-40 hexes at most.
The Russian AGS-17 automatic grenade launcher has a high rate of fire, a maximum effective range of 700 meters against point targets, and uses ammunition similar to U.S. Mark 19. In ASL terms, it would probably have a range of 17 hexes, ROF 3, attacks on the 2 FP column (at least), and have multiple hit possibilities. In short, it is something like the U.S.50 caliber HMG but would be much more common.
The Swedish Carl Gustav RCL rifle is popular and in use worldwide. Effective range is around 700 meters. It is lightweight, popular with troops, and a typical platoon will have two or three. In ASL terms, it would probably be a 1 or 2 PP weapon with a range of 17 hexes and attack infantry targets on 16 FP column.
While what I’ve given are nominal/proving ground values, all three weapons have been used extensively in combat and their actual values are probably not too far from what has been published.

Vehicles have undergone similar improvements in speed and reliability. At the moment, the U.S. M18 TD is one of the fastest AFVs in the system, with 24 MP. My experience has been that that is enough MP to just about teleport around playing area (until it is hit, anyway)—try playing Under the Noel Trees to get a feel for this. Now assume that most (if not all AFVs) in a scenario have similar movement allowances. A typical two or three board ASL scenario is not going to give them enough room to maneuver and force engagements to take place at ranges that are now to short to be historical (this sort of thing is not an issue for WW II ASL—a fairly large number of AFV-on-AFV kills took place at ranges of 200 meters or less).

As with speeds, fire control has also improved and the TH numbers should be much higher. At the end of WW II, the Germans were in the process of designing a Panther that would use a stereoscopic rangefinder to improve accuracy. This idea was subsequently adopted by AFV designers worldwide, and led to major improvements in tank gunnery. Couple this with improved ammunition and the closer ranges forced by the scale of ASL, and AFV combat becomes mostly a matter of figuring out who is going to been seen (and die) first. Not much entertainment value there.

Sorry about the length of lecture—got happy fingers or something.
If you have actually read to the bottom of this, I have another suggestion for a SW that should be included in any NATO/WP MASL scenario-click HERE for the link.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks tlcouse

I enjoyed reading that, in that i understood it and can see why it becomes an issue. I wasnt trying to be pro-MASL or be difficult, i just couldnt see what was making MASL hard.

Great explanation though, and straight off i cant rebut any of it.

Dissappointed though, I like the idea of MASL working, i want it to, but some of the issues you raise will be difficult to overcome, if at all.

What about if we stuck to infantry, and SW's?

Take tanks, heles, etc out. Would that make it better? I guess at the moment i am thinking of iraqu or bosnia house-clearing type excercises with special weapons etc ... mainly infantry .... but if its only INF then its not really MASL anymore is it???

Slightly off topic, if MASL will struggle, what wargame does do a good job of this type of thing or is MBT the best there is???

PS i liked aircav but made a mistake of selling it .... agghhhhhh.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
crabe tambour said:
?? What is MBT?
I think it's a wargame titled "Main Battle Tank". I wish people would take the time to type out whole words on this forum. To those who refuse to do so...THKDEVJKKLBD!!! And I mean it! :laugh:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glennbo said:
I think it's a wargame titled "Main Battle Tank". I wish people would take the time to type out whole words on this forum. To those who refuse to do so...THKDEVJKKLBD!!! And I mean it! :laugh:
Glenn,
Have you taken your medication yet?

You are talking in an "unintelligent" language again.....:eek:

Hearing voices again?:whist: