War, Famine and Death - The Coming Global Climate Shift?

Marines

Reaction score
FallenAngelASB said:
This deserves a rimshot!

I do believe that the world is indeed headed toward a great climate shit and this climate shift will more than likely take place in our lifetimes, the fact is that there has been a warming trend that has been documented over the past century that can be attributed to the rise of carbon dioxide in the earths atmosphere, this rise is in CO2 levels is attributed to many things, it is the tree huggers who attribute it to the burning of fossil fuels, many scientists argue that the melting of the polar ice caps released even more CO2 which is helping to speed up the growth of CO2 in the earths atmosphere. We are attributing to this global warming however we don’t know how much we are contributing. No one source can be blamed for this climate shift, but it is indeed a part of a cycle that normally happens anyway.

The fact is that it is happening, what we don’t know is what will happen when the heat reaches a peak and the ice caps melt. And there is very little that we can do about it.

(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6389173/)
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6434641/)
(http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/11/08/globalwarming.reut/index.html)

I tried to find a Fox news report on the issue however there seems to be a lack of a science section on FOX news’ website
Oh my god the "...great climate shit" is coming!

Sorry I couldn't resist that portion of your post kinda cracked me up! :laugh:

I do agree and it is pretty much what I have been saying. As of now the largest producer of CO2 is water vapor and there is nothing we can do to stop that.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines said:
Oh my god the "...great climate shit" is coming!

Sorry I couldn't resist that portion of your post kinda cracked me up! :laugh:

I do agree and it is pretty much what I have been saying. As of now the largest producer of CO2 is water vapor and there is nothing we can do to stop that.
We could detonate a few nuclear weapons and then the resulting nuclear winter would cool down the earth enough for there not to be a climate shift!.....No thats a little to crazy.

And I edited that remark, I can't believe I posted that, thats what I get for relying solely on spellcheck I guess...my mistake.

Last edited:

Marines

Reaction score
FallenAngelASB said:
We could detonate a few nuclear weapons and then the resulting nuclear winter would cool down the earth enough for there not to be a climate shift!.....No thats a little to crazy.
Or we could pump the global water supply into space..that should stop that pesky CO2 problem. :D

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Doctor said:
I have a degree in Geology with a Math minor and have been employed as a Geophysicist in oil and gas exploration for over 20 yrs. My posts in this thread - apart from the sarcastic ones - are based on spending my entire adult lfe studying the Earth's history, not on political or religious beliefs.

I just felt it was necessary to address Overseer's last post. The science on this subject is far from certain.
Just as politics/international relations etc, is far from certain, and i can still say i disagree with (seems like the majority of) things the conservatives say/beleive.

Anyway, i nominate Jamian as our master of science, i know he has some sort of maths degree, but by golly he's got a decent answer for everything!

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the joke was apparently lost on some. Of course there are conservative scientists, although some in this forum tend to prefer trust their religious viewpoints over say a physics textbook...

Prester John

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Overseer said:
Well the joke was apparently lost on some. Of course there are conservative scientists, although some in this forum tend to prefer trust their religious viewpoints over say a physics textbook...
I'm took a science degree and I'm conservative enough to believe in Queen and Country (used to be Empire). Even your craziest republicans aren't that conservative.

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Prester John said:
I'm took a science degree and I'm conservative enough to believe in Queen and Country (used to be Empire). Even your craziest republicans aren't that conservative.
You would love Turnbull's seemingly neverending rise to power as much as Costello then! :p

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Prester John said:
Actually I can't imagine him wearing a pith helmet and drinking GnT as the sun goes down.
The only Monarhy he would support would The house of Turnbull headed be King Malcolm I

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Temujin said:
Just as politics/international relations etc, is far from certain, and i can still say i disagree with (seems like the majority of) things the conservatives say/beleive.

Anyway, i nominate Jamian as our master of science, i know he has some sort of maths degree, but by golly he's got a decent answer for everything!
And he has a great sense of humor! :cheeky:

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Peachy Carnehan said:
The thing that always gets me is the fact that in the year 1000, the global climate was warmer than it is now.
Shhh! We can't let the fact that the Earth has routinely alternated between advancing continental glaciers and melting icecaps - long before Exxon, the Republican Party and the United States slow down the rush to demonize...

If we'd only had the Kyoto Protocol back in...oh...the Oligocene...we could have prevented all of that global warming and cooling. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Prester John said:
Oh and glaciation means the sea level will drop too.
Amazingly - yes. Sea level has routinely risen and fallen by more than 100 meters at a time with the comings and goings of glaciers. That's how the rocks in the Gulf of Mexico and West Africa and lots of other Cenozoic sedimentary basins were deposited. 12000 years ago sea level was about 100 meters lower than it is now. The Continantal Shelves were exposed - that's how the Original Americans were able to walk over from Asia. ;)

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
piero1971 said:
If i rememebr corectly, it is a meteor that exploded before impact, tus burning a huge surface, but no crater.

found this interesting link:
http://www-th.bo.infn.it/tunguska/

this is excellent :
http://www.psi.edu/projects/siberia/siberia.html

and
http://www.tmeg.com/artifacts/tunguska/tunguska.htm
Most likely a meteor (carbonaceous chondrite variety) or a small commet. There has been some speculation on anti-matter or small black hole; but the evidence is more consistent with a rocky (as opposed to iron) meteor.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Doctor said:
Shhh! We can't let the fact that the Earth has routinely alternated between advancing continental glaciers and melting icecaps - long before Exxon, the Republican Party and the United States slow down the rush to demonize...

If we'd only had the Kyoto Protocol back in...oh...the Oligocene...we could have prevented all of that global warming and cooling. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p

The funny thing is, as snide as that was, no one here is disputing it. My comments were jokes, although admittedly they were a little directed to Mr. Pangracs. There's some evidence (and plenty of contrary evidence) that suggests human influence has sped things up, and to an extent that makes sense, it's just a matter of how much, and how much we can slow it down. Of course, does that mean we shouldn't try if it might put off large scale shifts in the worlds climate for a little while?

Prester John

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well if you want to get serious about trying to put off the next ice age then you will have to get tough with the second world countries that are resonsible for huge CO2 releases (way more than the first world), and then start locking away as much CO2 as possible. This might reverse the natural green house cycle that seems to exist. Combine this with a short man-induced "nuclear winter" by dispersing lots of dust particles into the upper atmosphere and we can lower the temp a bit to put off the wholesale ice-age. Either way we need to use a lot more nuclear power.

Marines

Reaction score
piero1971 said:
If i rememebr corectly, it is a meteor that exploded before impact, tus burning a huge surface, but no crater.

found this interesting link:
http://www-th.bo.infn.it/tunguska/

this is excellent :
http://www.psi.edu/projects/siberia/siberia.html

and
http://www.tmeg.com/artifacts/tunguska/tunguska.htm
Great links!

I had always assumed as have others that this event was related to an antimatter detonation in our upper atmosphere. So far the studies show that this piece of antimatter was the size of an atom.

I still like to entertain the idea though.