War crimes in Afghanistan?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - A U.S. human rights group is calling for a criminal investigation of alleged massacres carried out by a U.S. ally in northern Afghanistan as Newsweek reports a confidential U.N. memorandum has found evidence to justify such a probe.

Newsweek said Sunday that U.N. investigators concluded there was evidence of the deaths of hundreds of Taliban prisoners captured by U.S.-backed troops of Abdul Rashid Dostum.

The magazine said the U.N. investigators based their finding on an examination of a mass grave near Shibergan that "contains bodies of Taliban POWs who died of suffocation" while being transferred from Kunduz after Taliban resistance in northern Afghanistan collapsed in November.

The magazine said the memo referred to "political sensitivity" and recommended a halt to "all activities relevant to this case" until a decision was made on whether to push for a criminal trial, truth commission or other alternatives.

In Boston, the group Physicians for Human Rights, which also sent a team to investigate the reported massacre, said it had repeatedly asked the governments of the United States and Afghanistan as well as the United Nations to secure the gravesite and launch a comprehensive criminal investigation.

The human rights group urged an immediate criminal investigation be launched.

"The refusal of the United States to acknowledge and investigate the possibility that its military partner murdered hundreds or thousands of prisoners is a terrible repudiation of its commitment to hold perpetrators of war crimes accountable for their deeds," Leonard S. Rubenstein, executive director of Physicians for Human Rights, said in a statement released Sunday.
Bad mojo... :(

If there were warcrimes committed there should be an investigation. If Allied forces participated or had knowledge of warcrimes they should be held accountable.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
sigh...

I really resent the talibans .... but if come to this point .... sigh... how humble can human lives be...

Twoblade

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There should be an investigation. No force or group should ever be allowed to get away with committing such acts.

If they choose to cover it up or not investigate it, trouble is just gonna brew.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bad News.....

Hello,

This is very terrible. But, then we never expected our allies to be poster boy for Boy Scouts. To be honest with you, I do believe that our allies and Afghan foes are a bunch of ruthless and cunning people jockeying for the power to control the future of Afghanistan.

I read somewhere that the provinces around Kabul and other major cities under the Allies' control are still full of dangers and warlords preying on innocent people, and flexing their muscles as official Afghan government is struggling to gain the people's confidence and control of provinces.

That's why US is trying to train about 60,000 Afghans to become a national army that the people can look up to instead of depending on Americans to do the dirty work. I'm afraid that these people will only look at the current official Afghan government as a puppet one instead of a real one.

Now, if these war crimes were to be brought out, it would make US and her allies look just bad as Mr. Omasa bin Laden's goons and his Al Qaeda organization. No, I honestly believe that Allies will do everything in their power to cover this up, or at least devise an investigation that will ultimately blame these war crimes on warlords or scattered Taliban forces or Al Qaeda operatives instead on Allied forces.

Maybe it is just me that always take a cynical view of this world, and a healthy dose of distrust of our legal government. :(

Bye,
Cheetah772

Headshot

Reaction score
its a damn shame human rights groups didnt exist when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, *sigh*, if only we get some Spetnaz Terror squads(flamethrowers and GL's) and Hind gunships the war on terror would be fair

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm gonna reserve judgement on this.Theres been more than enough stories that have been put foward as fact in this conflict,by everyone including aid and rights groups,only to be disproven or shown to be greatly exaggerated.The news will jump all over this story now,so if compelling evidence is given then is the time for judgement and prosecution.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Bad News.....

Originally posted by Cheetah772
Hello,

This is very terrible. But, then we never expected our allies to be poster boy for Boy Scouts. To be honest with you, I do believe that our allies and Afghan foes are a bunch of ruthless and cunning people jockeying for the power to control the future of Afghanistan.
The whole situation wasn't helped by the unspoken yet seeming consensus (at least here in the states) that the only good member of Al Queda or the Taliban is a DEAD one. That was while the white hot rage from events of almost a year ago was still fresh in our memories, of course.

While that wasn't official US policy at any point along the way, the desire for vengeance regrettably may have left certain things implied.....I'd like to be naive and think that the US and its allies have been paragons of virtue, truth, and justice....but the realist in me says that we've likely engaged in some underhanded stuff also.

Headshot

Reaction score
The U.S. has most likely authorized thier allied groups to take out terrorists using any means possible. Atrocities were bound to happen. The same thing happened wehn The marines armed and trained members of the South Vietnamese Army, they went out and butchereed whole villages.