Want to get started manufacturing items

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Some questions for those with experience in manufacture.

1. Do I need my own POS? If so, where's the best place to put it?
  2. Is there some utility I can use to see the skills I will need to manufacture a given ship or item?
  3. Is there a utility to see how much it will cost per unit to manufacture a given item and how much I will need to sell it for to turn a profit?

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

2. Is there some utility I can use to see the skills I will need to manufacture a given ship or item?
  3. Is there a utility to see how much it will cost per unit to manufacture a given item and how much I will need to sell it for to turn a profit?
EVEMon has a blueprint browser that shows a lot of info including skills needed, minerals, time; etc. At the bottom it shows skill book cost and training time. It's under the plans tab.

Panama13

Recruit
Reaction score

Last time I had a POS it would cost around 250 million to keep it running for a month. You don't need one to make stuff unless you want to make some kinds of cap ships. Don't see an individual just beginning in manufacturing doing that. So don't bother with a POS.

If you build tech 1 stuff the only skills you would need are industry, production efficiency, mass production and maybe advanced mass production. That should get stuff made at the least amount of resources and a large number of factory slots. Of course you'll also need to buy some blueprint originals or copies.

If you build tech 2 stuff you'll need some other skills. Frigate construction, cruiser construction, etc. But you'll also have to either do invention and/or research agents. But I wouldn't bother with tech 2 until you did some tech 1 first.

I don't know what's out there for manufacturing utilities anymore. Used to be a nice one called EVEMeep. Not sure if it works now.

Personally I don't bother with building anything anymore other than construction parts so I can build control towers. I can make enough off PI and control towers to pay for two accounts and play for free now days. I used to make tech 1 and 2 ships and cap ship components. Did some moon mining and production with the materials I made from that. It's not so much fun now. Far too many people driving down prices so now it's work and no fun.

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I think I'm going to build a few frigates and see how that goes. I also want to start copying and selling blueprint copies, but the slots in the most of the stations seem full. Perhaps a POS would come in useful for that.

Panama13

Recruit
Reaction score
You can buy a corporation in the services section of the market forum. You need to have a character that has absolutely no standings with anyone. A virgin as it were. If you make a new character and do nothing with it then you're good.

Then you buy the corp on the services forum that has standings for the empire in which you want to place a POS. This is a fast way to be able to put up a POS in high sec. Otherwise it either takes forever to get the standings or you have to put one up in low sec, wormhole or 0.0. Those will be vulnerable to anyone who feels froggy and there will be cap ships popping your POS.

I've had plenty of POSes in all kinds of places. Sometimes you can find a corp that 'owns' a low sec system that will allow you to put up a POS as long as you pay them a fee and play nice.

With the way things are right now, if I were new or just getting into industry, I'd put up as many PI planets as I could, make isk off those. Get as many research agents as I could, get datacores from them and sell them. Then once I got enough money from those things I'd buy a corp and put up a high sec POS. But that's me. :D

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don't really like PI very much. It's boring and doesn't pay well.

I have a few R&D agents working for me, and I'm working on acquiring a few BPO's so I can both manufacture and sell BPC copies. We'll see how that pays.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Almost done setting up a little manufacturing business. Whew! This is a lot of work.