Walls/Hedges and VBM

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In reference to checking for VBM, rule D2.3 states:

"Therefore, the interior of each hexside traversed must be clear of any obstacle depiction to the depth of an edge of a unit counter for VBM to be usable. Hold a unit counter vertically so that the entire thickness of the hex-side is just visible along the edge—if the other edge touches any obstacle depiction, VBM is not allowed along that hexside. Walls/hedges are considered extensions of hexsides for this rule."

Wall and Hedges aren't obstacles, right? So how are they relevant to the question of whether there is space for VBM?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
They are half-level obstacles. If a vehicle is bypassing the hexside which a wall/hedge runs along, the VBP testing counter needs to fit between the in-hex obstacle (woods/building) and the hexside/hexside-obstacle (wall/hedge). Or else bypass is prohibited.

Note: I think it has been concluded (somewhere in the Perry archives) that extensions of wall/hedge artwork does not interfere with VBP if you are not bypassing the hexside including that wall/hedge.

Last edited:

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Time and again I have struggled with that statement ("Walls/hedges are considered extensions of hexsides for this rule.)" because rightly or wrongly I think of "extensions" as only meaning "lengthening" the hexside. Think of the hexside as being widened when extended, however, and it is obvious that the rule is still just requiring that the counter fit between the item being bypassed and the (widened) hexside.