Wall on a cliff hexside LOS

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B9.61 LOS: A Hillside wall/hedge (including both its depiction and its associated hexside; 9.1) is ignored (even along a Continuous Slope) when determining whether or not a LOS exists between units whose elevations differ by ≥ one full level [EXC: a unit entrenched behind a Hillside wall/hedge still has its LOS restricted as per 9.21]. It is likewise ignored when determining the number of Blind Hexes created by a Crest Line. If a hill Crest Line ends at a Hillside wall/hedge, the line along which the hill depiction meets the wall/hedge depiction is considered to be the actual Crest Line.

Can Q7 see O10?

If so, can he fire the bmg also?

Edit: If the image is not clear, both units in question are on level 0. Hex Q8 is level 1. The off-color is due to the mud effect in VASL.

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I remember this exact situation from "Hell for the Holidays." I believe we ruled that LOS exists. If the wall wasn't present, the wall would be the rest of the serrated cliff symbol (I thought we submitted a Q to Perry too, but I can't find it). According to the RB, the cliff symbol does not block LOS drawn along it. A Q&A goes beyond this:

B11.2 Q: Is the “serrated edge of a (non-Depression) cliff” an obstacle to LOS if not traced along a hexside?​

A: IN the higher-level hex, the “serrated edge” is at the higher level; in the lower-level hex, the “serrated edge” is at the lower level. [Letter252]​
As it reads, the rule you cite regarding Wall-Crests only supports the same conclusion (as it suggests that the wall symbol becomes, in effect, the rest of the cliff symbol). So I'd say LOS is open and the BMG can fire (the AFV is not "behind the wall" and not HD - since the wall does not exist at Level 0).

Addendum: Aha! I found our Question from "Hell for the Holidays." Not a Perry Sez, but a Gamesquad thread. The situation wasn't exactly the same, but consensus supported the same conclusion as above.

Last edited:

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As per B9.62 A hillside wall is always at the level of the higher hex so it doesn't come into play at all in this situation.
The Panther isn't HD and can fire the BMG