Wall Advantage

Largus Means

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all, my first post :D

Heres my question of the day.....

An AFV starts the turn beside a wall, during the opposing players moves it goes into motion, during the ADPh a unit moves adjacent and beside said wall, does the AFV have WA? If it did have WA to start with, does it retain it?

With the new rules does any unit wishing to claim WA have to be marked with a WA counter at all times? Or just when an opposing unit moves into a hex that contests that?

Thanks
Largus

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Largus Means said:
An AFV starts the turn beside a wall, during the opposing players moves it goes into motion, during the ADPh a unit moves adjacent and beside said wall, does the AFV have WA? If it did have WA to start with, does it retain it?
If the AFV has WA prior to the APh, it would retain the WA. If it did not have it, the unit advancing could claim it. I can find nothing in the rules that would change this based on the motion status of the vehicle (although I only looked breifly)

Largus Means said:
With the new rules does any unit wishing to claim WA have to be marked with a WA counter at all times? Or just when an opposing unit moves into a hex that contests that?

Thanks
Largus
It should be, although for those units that MUST claim WA (B9.323), I suppose you would not need to place the counters. If you do not place the counters, when the opposing unit moves adjacent, he can claim WA.

Alan

Largus Means

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks ABills for the answers, though not totally a definative answer yet. I think my problem is I don't agree with the way this rule would work. If you have an AFV in motion beside a wall, and a squad advances to that same wall, how is the squad not going to be to dive to the wall and take cover from it. If the AFV was motionless and set up hull down to that wall I could see it being a little different. Does anyone else have any ideas or clarifications on this. Let me re-word it again incase it was unclear the first time.

A Russian T-26 has WA in the German Turn. During the MPh, the T-26 spots a StuG III and rolls a successful dr to go into motion. During the ADPh a German squad moves adjacent to the T-26 and beside that same wall. Should the squad be able to claim WA over the moving vehicle?

Largus

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
though not totally a definative answer yet. I think my problem is I don't agree with the way this rule would work.
The rule is pretty clear. If you don't agree with how it "should" or "would" work, you are free to write a scenario and include an SSR to change the rule for that scearnio.

Or you can develop your own game. ;)

These problems are almost always solved if you just look at the situation differently. An enemy tank has WA. You move adjacent. Even tho' the enemy tank has just started moving you are understandably a little reluctant to go right up to the wall next to the tank. So, the tank has WA and you stay 20-30 meters away...

Sam

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Hey, I went to the MMP webpage to download the WA rules... and find that they are incomplete. Only Pages_B7vb_and_B8vB are available. Where's the rest of the WA rules for us ASLRBv1 users?

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
Matt Romey said:
Hey, I went to the MMP webpage to download the WA rules... and find that they are incomplete. Only Pages_B7vb_and_B8vB are available. Where's the rest of the WA rules for us ASLRBv1 users?
In the ASLRBv2? :twisted:
Oh Ron, I luv ya but you *are* a f---ing smart -ss. As I'm sure you are well aware.

Seriously, anybody have a copy of that rule? Even the text would suffice. I recall that Curt posted a text version right before v2 came out.