Wall Advantage and Melee

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This sounds like an obvious question but I can't find the answer anywhere (sorry if I've missed it):
A squad in an otherwise OG hex is claiming WA. An enemy squad, in its APh, enters that hex, and the CC results in a Melee. If the Melee is subsequently fired on across the wall, it obviously affects both units, but who gets WA? Only the unit that was originally claiming WA, or both of them? Does it matter whether the enemy squad entered across the wall in its APh or not? B9.321 just talks about adjacent units of opposing sides, not same-hex.

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per B9.32 "A unit may claim WA over a same level wall/hedge hexside if it is an armed, unbroken, ground level unit which is not: <snip> in a Location containing a non-hidden, non-prisoner enemy unit." So in my view the original unit with WA must forfeit WA and the other unit would not be able to claim it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This sounds like an obvious question but I can't find the answer anywhere (sorry if I've missed it):
A squad in an otherwise OG hex is claiming WA. An enemy squad, in its APh, enters that hex, and the CC results in a Melee. If the Melee is subsequently fired on across the wall, it obviously affects both units, but who gets WA? Only the unit that was originally claiming WA, or both of them? Does it matter whether the enemy squad entered across the wall in its APh or not? B9.321 just talks about adjacent units of opposing sides, not same-hex.
The opposing units in the same location must forfeit WA per B9.322 because they no longer fulfil the requirement for maintaining WA of B9.32 - in this case not being in the same Location with a non-hidden, non-prisoner enemy unit.

Thus the non-CC/Melee units will be the only ones benefitting from WA.

B9.32 WALL ADVANTAGE (WA): A unit may claim WA over a same level wall/hedge hexside if it is an armed, unbroken ground level unit which is not: a vehicle eligible to receive in-hex TEM of ≥ 1 [EXC: Height Advantage (10.31)/Cactus Patch (14.7)/Olive Grove (14.8)], in Column/Convoy, in a Fortified building possessing a Gun, on a bridge [EXC: over a Roadblock], in a pillbox/cave, beneath an entrenchment counter, above Wire/Panji or in a Location containing a non-hidden, non-prisoner enemy [EXC: "broken" vehicle (A12.1)] unit

B9.322 A unit claiming WA must always be marked with a "Wall Advan" counter. Placing a "Wall Advan" counter and claiming WA are synonymous, as are removing a "Wall Advan" counter and forfeiting WA [EXC: 9.323]. A Pinned, TI, or Immobile unit cannot voluntarily claim or forfeit WA. Claiming WA is voluntary [EXC: 9.323], and can be done by a unit at five times: during its setup; at the end of any RPh (step 1.32B of ASOP, ATTACKER first); during its MPh/APh (either as part of, or before/after MF/MP expenditures); when losing HIP status; whenever all enemy units lose/forfeit WA over shared wall/hedge hexsides. WA must be forfeited immediately if a unit no longer fulfills 9.32 and may be forfeited at any other time.

von Marwitz

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Got it, thank you gentlemen. (I was looking for a specific reference to Melee, and missed the 'same location' bit in B9.32)

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Got it, thank you gentlemen. (I was looking for a specific reference to Melee, and missed the 'same location' bit in B9.32)
Hmm, I was as well. I'm a bit surprised Melee units are not specifically referenced (even parenthetically). Happily, the
rule is quite clear.

indy

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Since units in Melee fall into the "in a Location containing a non-hidden, non-prisoner enemy" category, they really don't need to be spelled out specifically.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Since units in Melee fall into the "in a Location containing a non-hidden, non-prisoner enemy" category, they really don't need to be spelled out specifically.
Agreed...as I said, the rule is clear. I was just pointing out that as I was looking at the rule, I was keying on the word Melee. I guess reading
an entire sentence rather than looking for a word has its (wall) advantages!

indy

Last edited: