wall advantage and LOS

drklrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
if a german unit is in hex 21V6 and has wall advanatage against a finnish unit in hex 21W6 does the wall block line of site for the finnish unit past the v row? for example if it is the russian player turn and a russian unit moved form 21u4 to 21t4 could he be fired at during defensive fire by the finnish squad in 21W6 ( my thought is since the wall would normally block line of site for units not ajacent that the russian unit holding wall advantage would keep the finnish unit from truly being ajacent to it

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
drklrd said:
if a german unit is in hex 21V6 and has wall advanatage against a finnish unit in hex 21W6 does the wall block line of site for the finnish unit past the v row? for example if it is the russian player turn and a russian unit moved form 21u4 to 21t4 could he be fired at during defensive fire by the finnish squad in 21W6 ( my thought is since the wall would normally block line of site for units not ajacent that the russian unit holding wall advantage would keep the finnish unit from truly being ajacent to it
I don't think the wall would affect LOS regardless of WA status. Per B9.2, "A wall/hedge hexside never blocks LOS to any portion of its own hex..." The only given exception is an entrenchment (B9.21). Since LOS is reciprocal, it would also never block LOS out of the hex.

WA basically determines who gets the TEM for that hexside, and really has no effect on LOS. Just because the Finnish unit doesn't have WA, it still can see over the wall to hexes beyond (such as T4), just as a unit in a building could still see over a wall bordering that hex to hexes farther away. In fact, not only can the Finnish unit see several hexes away, it would still get the wall TEM for attacks from non-adjacent units which cross that wall hexside.

Bocage of course is an entirely different animal altogether.

Pete

drklrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

thanks pete,

no only did ou clear up the LOS side of the question but I was not comprehending the TEM correctly either ( you answer cleared up how the wall advantage and TEM work). as always I apprteicate all help I can get :)