WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I'm reading A9.31 and want to be sure I got it right:
"9.31: A target unit not claiming WA receives only in-hex TEM, but may instead use wall/hedge TEM vs enemy units which do not have WA over the hexside."
  1. The Germans in P4 can shoot at the Russians with WA in Q5 with +2 wall TEM.
  2. The Germans in Q2 can shoot at the Russians with WA in Q5 with no woods TEM.
  3. The Russians in Q5 can shoot at the Germans in P4 with +1 graveyard TEM.
  4. The Russians in R4 can shoot at the Germans in P4 with +2 wall TEM.
Correct?

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
WA always confuses me - Am I correct in saying that in this example if at the time of the first shot against the Russian 6-2-8 in Q5 the Russian unit claimed the in hex TEM instead of the wall advantage then wall advantage would immediately be placed on the German 4-6-7 in the graveyard and all further shots into Q5 would use the in hex terrain?

I

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
WA always confuses me - Am I correct in saying that in this example if at the time of the first shot against the Russian 6-2-8 in Q5 the Russian unit claimed the in hex TEM instead of the wall advantage then wall advantage would immediately be placed on the German 4-6-7 in the graveyard and all further shots into Q5 would use the in hex terrain?

I
When in a TEM +1 of more terrain, an infantry unit may not claim or unclaim WA status at the moment it is fired upon.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Russian can't forfeit wall advantage after the shot is declared.

9.322 A unit claiming WA must always be marked with a "Wall Advan" counter. Placing a "Wall Advan" counter and claiming WA are synonymous, as are removing a "Wall Advan" counter and forfeiting WA [EXC: 9.323]. A Pinned, TI, or Immobile unit cannot voluntarily claim or forfeit WA. Claiming WA is voluntary [EXC: 9.323], and can be done by a unit at five times: during its setup; at the end of any RPh (step 1.32B of ASOP, ATTACKER first); during its MPh/APh (either as part of, or before/after MF/MP expenditures); when losing HIP status; whenever all enemy units lose/forfeit WA over shared wall/hedge hexsides. WA must be forfeited immediately if a unit no longer fulfills 9.32 and may be forfeited at any other time. Claiming/forfeiting WA is not considered an action for RPh limits (A3.1) or concealment loss (A12.141). Claiming/forfeiting WA can never be done between an enemy action being declared and that action being completed, e.g., fire vs the unit claiming WA.

Robin beat me to it!

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok thanks that’s another thing we have been doing wrong - will re-read the wall advantage rules, thought we had it but obviously not thanks for the help

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Ok thanks that’s another thing we have been doing wrong - will re-read the wall advantage rules, thought we had it but obviously not thanks for the help
Perhaps were you thinking of the HD vehicle behind a wall while also in in-hex TEM terrain (B9.36)?24158

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Lol don't feel badly about misunderstanding WA. Fish told The 2 Half Squads that Walls were something he wouldn't play anymore. Vehicles too.🤣

Last edited:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B9.36 does not apply to the situation where the vehicle has claimed WA. If able to claim in-hex TEM, then the target gets to choose HD or TEM.

A unit marked with a WA counter is not able to claim in-hex TEM. We see the 9.36 situation repeated for in-hex and wall TEM for non-vehicles:

A target unit not claiming WA receives only in-hex TEM, but may instead use
wall/hedge TEM vs enemy units which do not have WA over the hexside.
Darryl points out ... walls can be complicated.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If the Russian unit somehow lost WA, the German (if able it) may claim it. Since ther German unit is in +1 TEM it does not have to claim it.

Robertleclerc

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
In the initial example, assuming a German squad in R5, could it fire at the Russian 6-2-8 having WA the other side of the wood ?

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

I'm confused by the reply, or replies, affirming the +2 DRM to case 4 of the original post given the text of B9.321.

The original case 4 reads, "The Russians in R4 can shoot at the Germans in P4 with +2 wall TEM"; yet, B9.321 reads, ". . . Adjacent units of opposing sides can never [my emphasis] both claim WA over a shared wall/hedge at the same time; thus one of them claiming WA over the shared hexside prevents the other from claiming WA over any hexsides at all [EXC: Deluxe ASL]."

In the original post, the Russian 6-2-8 in Q5 has WA; thus, per B9.321 (which is also a higher-numbered rule than B9.31), the Germans in the graveyard hex P4 should not be able to claim WA, right? If right, then isn't the DRM to the Russian fire into P4 +1 for graveyards?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm confused by the reply, or replies, affirming the +2 DRM to case 4 of the original post given the text of B9.321.

The original case 4 reads, "The Russians in R4 can shoot at the Germans in P4 with +2 wall TEM"; yet, B9.321 reads, ". . . Adjacent units of opposing sides can never [my emphasis] both claim WA over a shared wall/hedge at the same time; thus one of them claiming WA over the shared hexside prevents the other from claiming WA over any hexsides at all [EXC: Deluxe ASL]."

In the original post, the Russian 6-2-8 in Q5 has WA; thus, per B9.321 (which is also a higher-numbered rule than B9.31), the Germans in the graveyard hex P4 should not be able to claim WA, right? If right, then isn't the DRM to the Russian fire into P4 +1 for graveyards?

Cheers,
Wall advantage determines which of ADJACENT locations get the benefit of the wall. Units that aren't adjacent to the wall that fire at a target behind it are still subject to the wall TEM. The rules are different for bocage.