Waffen-SS Counter Storage and What Not

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I like 'em. I use 'em. It's an extra tray among many - big whoop. Don't always dig 'em out, but sometimes I do because they look cool. Yeah, I said it. Sue me.
Exactly. White on black just oozes cool. I use them often too.

Somethings just look good in black, like Batman or Orc armies. Unfortunately the SS do too. Remember, don't take life too seriously.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Somethings just look good in black, like Batman or Orc armies. Unfortunately the SS do too. Remember, don't take life too seriously.
All right,buddy, you called for it...

Even Batman's attire had more of the German blueish grey to it in the original comics (and movies) I believe. Just like the orginal SS-counters. Like the SS-counters, Batman turned black only later.

So for the purists, you know what the color's gotta be, (not too) seriously. :p;)

von Marwitz

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a few scenarios that use both Wehrmacht and SS with distinct exit VC. Having the two colors works well then, otherwise it can be tough to track leaders, etc...

I have a separate RAACO for SS and rarely break it out.

Still for a few scenarios, it's fun to use the black counters, YMMV.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
All right,buddy, you called for it...

Even Batman's attire had more of the German blueish grey to it in the original comics (and movies) I believe. Batman turned black only later.

von Marwitz
The reason Batman in the comics and film turned darker later, was to distance itself from the campy show of the 60's.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The reason Batman in the comics and film turned darker later, was to distance itself from the campy show of the 60's.
That show ruled!! Stupid yes but so much more like a comic book. 🤣🤣

rtroha

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I stuck the unpunched counters in a large ziplock bag, Left them on the ASLOK check in table one year with a sign that said, "Take 'em if you want them". Someone did.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Mine are sorted in four AH trays. I mixed the AH and HOB ones. I use them only at home just for variety.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I stuck the unpunched counters in a large ziplock bag, Left them on the ASLOK check in table one year with a sign that said, "Take 'em if you want them". Someone did.
Nice to see you pop in occasionally Rick! Hope all is well with you.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never really wrapped my head around this "black SS counter" debate, but I also understand it's a matter of taste/choice.

Mine are stored in a separate tray. When an OB calls for SS I tend to use the black ones if I have what's necessary. I'd rather use those than the ones with the Schutzstaffel logo emblazoned on them. /shrug

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
When an OB calls for SS I tend to use the black ones if I have what's necessary. I'd rather use those than the ones with the Schutzstaffel logo emblazoned on them. /shrug
The SS runes are on the black SS counters - HOB ones have the skull and bones.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
With reference to the "and What Not" portion of this thread, one must realize that if you fault black SS counters for "unnecessary duplication" then the same logic would call for tossing out the Allied Minors who are essentially French by numbers and nature, or toss out the French who are essentially Allied Minors by numbers and nature, not to mention all those duplicative terrain overlays.
I'm not a scenario master, but aren't there several that include both French and Allied Minor (either Belgian or Norwegian) forces together? Kinda handy to know at a glance whether the 'allied forces' rule is applicable without having to check a side record of counter IDs.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not a scenario master, but aren't there several that include both French and Allied Minor (either Belgian or Norwegian) forces together? Kinda handy to know at a glance whether the 'allied forces' rule is applicable without having to check a side record of counter IDs.
Yes, I've played several of those scenarios (Journal #3 had plenty). Not once did the "allied forces" rule come into play. The allied forces were always far enough apart to avoid "sharing" leaders. It could have come up, and a side note is never welcome, but all things considered the "allied forces" rule is rarely invoked. In fact, in my entire 40-year ASL career I recall using that rule twice, once with Germans and Italians and once with Germans and Romanians.