Waffen-SS Counter Storage and What Not

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

In another thread, I was asked why I was not using black ss counters for a scenario I am currently playing. My thoughts are they take up unnecessary storage room and the ABtF version of the SS counters are hard too read. What do ya all think?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Back when I still played with physical boards/counters, I'd keep the black SS stashed away just in case there wuz a need to segregate between two players. Otherwise, they are not worth the trouble to sort and have them handy....although in the extremely unlikely case that Pitman would ever come to my house I would get them out special for him.....

Of course, now that I have few-no local opponents, I play almost exclusively on VASL and/or at someone else's house and use their kit.

csiemers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

In another thread, I was asked why I was not using black ss counters for a scenario I am currently playing. My thoughts are they take up unnecessary storage room and the ABtF version of the SS counters are hard too read. What do ya all think?
In my opinion the all black colored ones are a needless duplicate of counters that are already the standard "German blue" color. I have mine in a zip top bag stored away while the rest of my ASL counters are in Planos.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Completely unnecessary duplication of counters and yes, they are hard to read. That said, I have them clipped and Plano'd and off in their little dark storage corner, just in case someone is dying to buy a complete set of these. Lol.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With reference to the "and What Not" portion of this thread, one must realize that if you fault black SS counters for "unnecessary duplication" then the same logic would call for tossing out the Allied Minors who are essentially French by numbers and nature, or toss out the French who are essentially Allied Minors by numbers and nature, not to mention all those duplicative terrain overlays.

ASL embraces unnecessary duplication, not to mention just plain old "unnecessary." Do we really need crew counters, in two different types? Without those crews we wouldn't be able to constantly duplicate the SSR that says, "Crews may not voluntarily abandon their vehicles." That's a great example of how duplication begets duplication, and we love it; that's why we're here.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Never been a fan, never will be. It works for operational level games. Not ASL. If any counters justify being black it’s the panzer crews 🤔

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
With reference to the "and What Not" portion of this thread, one must realize that if you fault black SS counters for "unnecessary duplication" then the same logic would call for tossing out the Allied Minors who are essentially French by numbers and nature, or toss out the French who are essentially Allied Minors by numbers and nature, not to mention all those duplicative terrain overlays.

ASL embraces unnecessary duplication, not to mention just plain old "unnecessary." Do we really need crew counters, in two different types? Without those crews we wouldn't be able to constantly duplicate the SSR that says, "Crews may not voluntarily abandon their vehicles." That's a great example of how duplication begets duplication, and we love it; that's why we're here.
I respectfully disagree. The SS are Germans. The French are not Belgians or Dutch, or vice versa.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plenty of non-German SS, but the point is that the French and Allied Minors all have the same digits in this game, just a different background color. They even share the same vehicles and support weapons, so why not just do them all in one color. Then, you could use one counter set to represent both French and Allied Minors, reducing duplication.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Plenty of non-German SS, but the point is that the French and Allied Minors all have the same digits in this game, just a different background color. They even share the same vehicles and support weapons, so why not just do them all in one color. Then, you could use one counter set to represent both French and Allied Minors, reducing duplication.
Your apologetics to justify the black SS counters are very weak. Desperate even.

I personally have them clipped and sorted.
I use them occasionally - perhaps out of nostalgia from CoI.
SS are the hobgoblins of the ASL fantasy world: I have no admiration for that nazi political army, but ASL is not about real life.

I can live without the Men in Black.
They are not easy to read and they are already represented by normal German colours. So they are superfluous.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No apologetics, just pointing out that the "they are duplicative" argument applies to many other counters too. On desperation, to the contrary, the side arguing against the black counters seems desperate to somehow "cleanse" the system and make themselves feel better.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Never used those counters. Not even punched them - that might make me rich if I'd decide to sell them...

I have always preferred the 'classic' counters, i.e. black outlines with the nationaltiy color as the background.

I don't use multicolor TPP counters for the same reason, no matter how well made they may be.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Your apologetics to justify the black SS counters are very weak. Desperate even.

I personally have them clipped and sorted.
I use them occasionally - perhaps out of nostalgia from CoI.
SS are the hobgoblins of the ASL fantasy world: I have no admiration for that nazi political army, but ASL is not about real life.

I can live without the Men in Black.
They are not easy to read and they are already represented by normal German colours. So they are superfluous.
Were the SS in COI only designated as such by the color or was the SS on the counter? COI was wwbitd and a lot of that info is no longer in my brain pan.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Were the SS in COI only designated as such by the color or was the SS on the counter? COI was wwbitd and a lot of that info is no longer in my brain pan.
I like to play with them cuz I feel special... even erect while playing with them. they seem to move faster, jump farther, act quicker, do superhuman things that the normal cardboard counter can't! :devilish:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I sold mine long ago. Too hard to read, and I have everything I need with the normal blue Germans. Space was not an issue, I still have 2 extra Raaco trays with inserts that are completely empty.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I like to play with them cuz I feel special... even erect while playing with them. they seem to move faster, jump farther, act quicker, do superhuman things that the normal cardboard counter can't! :devilish:
Exactly the answer I would have expected from my brutha from Pervertmont.😘