W2 The Front In Flames

UXB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this yesterday.

My Russians entered 1I1, Germans entered 1P6. Mutual LOS occured with
the Russians in K3, Germans M5. The Germans openned fire but achieved little. THen then swept around the objectife building K4 into K6, avoiding Defensive fire, then advanced into J5 and K5.

The Russians assaulted into K3, J3, J2 and scampered to H3 and G4, with a
leader and squad breaking and routing to G1.

In turn 2 the Russians rallied completely.
the Germans formed a firegroup in M4 and M5, blasting another squad,
which HOB'd to berserk in K3. The Russians stormed the building and melee'd until the end of the game with forces being commited to melees in 2 separte hexes.

Some lucky 1-1 cc roles gave the Russians the victory by 1 point .

This is a great little scenario, fast and furious.

One question we had was: What rules section determines the concealment status of units when they first gain LOS. Is it like an assault move or a regular MPh movement? In the first case retaining concealment in concealment terrain and in the latter losing it?

Really enjoyed this scenario, seemed well-balanced.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
W2

Good scenario.

But I believe the LOS question is determined on WHAT type movement the moving player is using while the defender is observing. (ie, assault movement or normal or double-time).

Kevin

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that the scenario is not clear, nor are the rules. You could also make the argument that setup is not complete until the game starts and thus once LOS is achieved and the pregame movement ends, then place concealment counters as if setting up for the first time. Of course, then SSR 7 which specifically mentions loss of concealment would seem to contradict this. Oh well.

Pete

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only other example of this setup I can find is SASL Mission 8 - "Patrol". In this one, the opposing sides enter in column and move in impulses until LOS is established, just as with W2. The MSR state that all stacks in LOS of the enemy lose concealment, at which point snipers are placed and the actual game commences, again just as with W2.

With this example, I'd play W2 this way (in the absence of a specific rule or SSR to the contrary and IMO none of the ASL rules specifically address this situation unless the SSR specified the type of movement being used). All units enter concealed, but once LOS is established, reveal all units in such LOS (pretty much what you'd do if they were not using assault movement). This would seem to me to best simulate the action described, ie, that the two sides surprised each other.

Pete

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I just have sent your question about concealment at start of W2 to Perry Cocke.
Let us wait and see the answer... 8)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
And here it is!
MMP are always very quick to answer!

Just a question about W2 The Front in Flames scenario.
SSR 7 seems to imply that only units begining in Melee lose concealement thus other units, even in LOS and Open Ground of enemies, begin Turn 1 concealed.

Correct.

....Perry
MMP